Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90379 - 01/15/12 06:14 PM Summer 2012...where to go?
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am finally taking the whole family to Spain this summer and I need some advice. We have the opportunity to stay in Galicia: La Coruna to be exact. My question is, how would you divide the 3 weeks. We were thinking of a week each in Madrid, Barcelona, and Galicia, but a few experts have recommended spending 2 or even all 3 of the weeks in Galicia. Two of us have been to Spain before and two of us have never been. What would you recommend for us? The goal is to make this the first trip of many, not the last trip, so the opportunity to go back to other places is open. We like good food, sports, and culture. Please advise.

#90380 - 01/16/12 02:50 AM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You'll(ABSOLUTELY) LOVE northern Spain, teachertraveler8. I GAR-UN-TEE you! wink

You have 3 weeks. As in 21 days? Are you flying into/out of Madrid? I'll guess so.

Since 2 of the 3 already know Madrid well, consider spending just a day or two in Madrid upon arrival to get-your-head-straight after the flight.

Then head up to (La/A Coruña) Galicia directly. Spend 5-7 days day-tripping around Galicia. Then head east through Asturias and Cantábria and The Basque Country-País Vasco for 7-10 days. Get to Barcelona City and spend 3-4 days. Then back to Madrid for your last night.

BIG QUESTION: Will you be going by car? To see northern Spain properly, you do kind of need a car as there are so many mountain/hilltop villages worth visiting which aren't accessible to even buses. If you're sticking to the cities, however, you'll be fine by train/bus.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90381 - 01/16/12 06:48 AM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

We are planning to fly into and out of Madrid as opposed to doing an open jaw into Madrid and out of Barcelona. I was thinking we would fly to La/A Coruna directly upon arrival and spend 10 days to two weeks in that region, perhaps like you described and then back to Madrid for the final week. Madrid is such a great city and I feel like I "know" it fairly well to be able to guide my family around.

We were planning to rent a car for that exact reason.

#90383 - 01/17/12 02:40 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
We spent 7 days last summer just in Rias Baixas near Vigo and Oerense. I wish I could have stayed longer.
I think MM has a good suggestion. If you are up there, why not drive through pais vasco (Bilbao, San Sebastian) and then on through to Barcelona.
A few days in Madrid should be on everyone's itinerary, IMHO.

#90384 - 01/17/12 07:18 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: laduque]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I totally agree! Driving through the north of Spain is a highlight! You will love it.
I think you should spend as much time in Galicia as possible (I am a bit biased, I know!) and make sure to stop in Bilbao to see the Guggenheim, stop by San Sebastián (such a wonderful city!!) and your family and you will love Barcelona too! I agree that a couple of days in Madrid at the beginning to get adjusted to the time difference makes sense.
I have family in A Coruña and the surrounding area! You will love it!

#90385 - 01/17/12 09:41 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: esperanza]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, all. My concern with road-tripping through Spain is finding places to stay along the way. Is it worth it to pack up the car every few days and move along toward another destination? I was thinking of staying in one general area and really getting to know the villages, countryside and sites of that region versus trying to make it from Madrid to Barcelona with the north in the middle. If I did tour the north a few towns at a time, is it difficult to find lodging? Would I have to do that in advance? I want to enjoy Spain and see a lot, but I also want time to enjoy being with my family in a relaxing manner, too.

#90387 - 01/18/12 06:24 AM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: teachertraveler8]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
My favorite route.
From Madrid to Donostia-San Sebastian,then Santander and you can see Santillana del Mar it´s necessary,San Vicente de la Barquera,Llanes,the national park of picos de Europa you can see the Covadonga lakes, Cudillero for to eat a wonderfull fish,Luarca, and then all Galicia, of course, in car.
A lovely travel but very long, around 1000 kilometers.

#90388 - 01/18/12 04:15 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: jazz]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
How much fun your trip will be!
1000 km is a long way, but would there be a way to base in 1 city in the north and take a day trip or two (or three) before you would move to different lodging?

You have 2 teen age boys, right? So limiting car time, thus limiting boredom, can be a big issue.

#90389 - 01/18/12 06:02 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: jacmom]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

The idea of driving 1000 km and going to several locales does NOT appeal to me. I would rather spend the entire time in one place to get to know it well. I am thinking of doing Madrid and Galicia. That's it. Hopefully we will return another time to include Barcelona, Valencia and the Paises Vascos. The other thing is that I would like to arrange for some apartment rentals and I don't know if traveling town to town is conducive to that.

It sounds like my agenda (Madrid and Galicia) should be just fine.
Yes, there will be an 18 year old and a 15 year old. They were wondering if Northern Spanish beaches are typically "topless". Does anyone know?

#90393 - 01/19/12 12:53 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You MIGHT be interested in my MadridMan's 2002 Madrid & Galicia Trip journal entry - from way back from before blogs were around and STILL in the MadridMan.com Version 1.0 stage. Wow. I need to get on that soon. There aren't any photos, but I still have a bunch from my first digital camera which I took on that trip. What a wonderful experience I had in Galicia.

If you decide to "do" Madrid and Galicia, that's great. You'll have enough on your plate for these two locations/regions. Really, Galicia has enough to see for your entire 3-weeks alone, but you could do it justice in just 7-12 days. You can always visit Asturias, Cantabria, and País Vasco another time. For THAT you'll need 3 entire weeks!!!

Regarding the beaches and topless-ness, Spain's beaches throughout the country are considered "Topless-Okay" (thank goodness!!!) so that's not a worry. It's not expected, however, so any on-top-wearers shouldn't feel self-conscious. It's not illegal and it's not considered "bad form" to go topless in Spain, even at the city's public swimming pools. (I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!! thumbsup: )

We did the drive from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid in one long-ARSE day by car. Wow. What a journey! According to Google Maps, that's a 7.5 hour drive -without stopping! We stopped like 3 times along the way for meals and "pit-stops" so it took us about 9 hours.

Traveling town-to-town probably isnt' conducive to renting apartments, but you should be able to find - online - several decent "hostales" in some off-the-highway towns to spend a comfortable night. This'll take some research, however. The ON-highway "hostales" don't tend to be very nice. That is to say, they're basic and generally clean, but lack character and can often be havens for truckers' one-night-stands - if you know what I mean. Best to get 5-10 kilometers off the highway to find nicer, more local lodgings.

I'M excited for your visit/trip, teachertraveler8! O hope to see you while you're passing-through Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90396 - 01/19/12 03:17 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you are right teachertravel, keep it short of places and plenty of time on them/Madrid and Galicia is a nice combination. With Ouerense, Vigo,Pontevedra,La Coruna,El Ferrol,and Santiago de Compostela plus Madrid you will have plenty.

#90418 - 01/26/12 02:58 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: pedmar]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
We were in Galicia last summer and I felt the weather was too cold for beaches, topless or otherwise.
We rented a BEAUTIFUL renovated farmhouse and it was our homebase. We got to know the villages around us and set out for day trips of 2-3 hour drives. When we wanted a "down" day, we chilled by our pool. It was way cheaper than a hostal or hotel as we would have needed to rent 4 hotel rooms, so the house (4 bedrooms( was about 1100 euro total for 7 days and it was great!!! We made meals at home, even barbequed. I fell in love with that region of Galicia and can't wait to go back! Pick north OR south Galicia and plant yourselves there and just explore that portion of Galicia!

#90420 - 01/26/12 05:48 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Esperanza,

Did you rent a car? If so, can you recommend any car rental companies?

Gracias

#90421 - 01/27/12 03:36 AM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

from the States for years and years, the best are car rental brokers who give you the best local/Inter. company prices, these are
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com

cheers

#90424 - 01/28/12 03:31 AM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: pedmar]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I have found its also worth looking at the big companies local offices, eg hertz, avis, Alamo etc, ust google their name but add es in you search. The last time I looked Sixt has been the cheapest.

#90425 - 01/28/12 05:49 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Ok .. if you go to Vigo in Galicia you'll have to look somebody up . When I was about 17 or 18 I went to stay with a family in Paris for 3 weeks .. went to school there and shared the life of my exchange friend , Christophe who was one year younger than me . Incredible experience . I took the train , with many other school/college kids from London , the a ferry across the English Channel .. Then another train to the Gare du Nord in Paris to meet . for the first time , the family I would be stating with . I loved every moment of it .. even the feral school that Christophe attended in the Argenteuil suburb of Paris ...
Christophe now lives in Galicia , in Vigo , where he runs/owns a small kiosk that sells French crêpes ... and he's been running it successfully for many years now . If anyone is thinking of going to Vigo I'll find out exactly where his kiosk is .
I haven't seen Christophe for over 30 years but have very good contact with his mother in Paris . Christophe , like me , is not so good at keeping contact . Very smart and cool guy ! His mum sent me a photo for christmas this year of him at the kiosk ( traditional Breton costume ) , with his sister Bénédicte .

#90426 - 01/29/12 02:11 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: steve robinson]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Everyone has given great advice and I would like to second the charm of Galicia, it certainly holds a special place in my heart.

Although it has been a very long time since I've been there, I'm sure that by now some things may have changed, I used to spend at least an entire month there during school summer vacations. We would drive on our SEAT 1500 Bifaro from my native Sevilla, an overnight stop over in Salamanca, and then continue to our destination in Galicia, most years ending in Ribadeo.

Madrid was often a return trip stop over location since we have family there.

I'm pretty sure that the next time I go back to Spain I will pay a visit to Galicia.

Speaking of which!!! I'll have to go and see "The Way", 2011 movie, a corworker told me about it, sounded real good.

Edited by Yankaluz (01/29/12 02:13 PM)
Edit Reason: typo.

#90427 - 01/29/12 02:53 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: eskimo joe]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

all mayor companies and smallones are in autoeurope and kemwel,they deal with them for excess cars so give out best prices,I know autoeurope even guarantees the lowest rate.
of course wont hurt checking everything else too
cheers

#90429 - 01/29/12 06:26 PM Re: Summer 2012...where to go? [Re: pedmar]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well, I tend to agree with what has been said about car rentals. We have rented many times and tend to go with the most reasonably priced option: we have rented from Hertz and Avis many times.

As for Galicia... I am so happy to say I am planning on going to visit my family for 4 days in March after I take a group of students to Andalucía and Madrid. I will send my kids back to NY and then get to visit with my daughter in Madrid for a couple of days and visit my family in Galicia too! Cannot wait!

Steve, find out about your friend in Vigo... My family is right across the ría in Cangas, so I will definitely be going to Vigo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments