Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66357 - 02/22/01 02:24 PM Hot off the Press! The Rough Guide to Spain.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I've been waiting for the 2001 edition of The Rough Guide to Spain (ordered from amazon.com) which arrived yesterday. It has loads of practical information and covers lots of the towns/countryside largely overlooked by the other "greats," i.e. Fodors, Frommers, etc. It also seems to be geared more for the independent traveler seeking a more "natural" experience.

In addition to sightseeing info, there are many suggestions for hiking, etc. And for those not interested in renting a car, the authors cover the options for getting around by bus and train. There's a not-very-extensive list of hostales and restaurants but it generally includes a few in every price range (with more in the budget category and some agroturismo/casas rurales recommendations).

Although you may not agree with the authors' opinions of some of the towns and cities, I findit refreshing to have someone say things like "Onati is without doubt the most interesting inland town in Gipuzkoa..." or "Unquera itself is fairly dire, its only bright spots being the restaurants Riomar and Granja..." (Sorry, Unquerans, the authors' words, not mine!) or that "Santillana del Mar, an outrageously picturesque village, 26km west of Santander, has been prettified beyond belief for tourism."

I really think this guidebook is going to be very helpful in planning our trip to central and northern Spain.

P.S. I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free, madridman, to put it wherever.

#66358 - 02/22/01 04:28 PM Re: Hot off the Press! The Rough Guide to Spain.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(I've moved your posting to this forum... )

Thanks for the info!!! The Rough Guide people were also milling about Madrid when I was there in 1999 from what I heard.

And SO(!). You ordered your copy from Amazon.com, eh? Well then (who all knows what's coming next??), I CERTAINLY hope you at least ordered it through MadridMan's ALL Spain Market as any self-respecting MadridMan.com visitor would, right?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66359 - 02/22/01 07:13 PM Re: Hot off the Press! The Rough Guide to Spain.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Oops--Sorry, MadridMan. I had "pre-ordered" and was waiting for publication of the 2001 edition before I was even familiar with your website, message board, etc.

#66360 - 02/22/01 07:41 PM Re: Hot off the Press! The Rough Guide to Spain.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Heheehee.... Okay. I won't hold it against you then. Remember all, you can order everything that Amazon.com carries through MadridMan's ALL Spain Market . If I don't list it, just click on the Amazon.com icon to go through their site, find what you need, and do the deed. Thanks for remembering MadridMan! (oh, brother!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-22-2001).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66361 - 02/23/01 03:17 PM Re: Hot off the Press! The Rough Guide to Spain.
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hmmmm, this sounds like a plug to me...

Helping each other out as much as possible, is what I say! Have a great weekend all!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2678 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments