MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#62688 - 08/26/02 04:26 PM Batasuna
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hey everyone,

The big news today here in Spain is that they've made Batasuna, the political arm of the ETA, illegal. You can find more details here:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/08/26/basque.ban/index.html

This has been playing out over the past weeks, but today is the day a judge approved the three year ban and the government clamped down. They're shutting down Batasuna offices, turning off the water and lights and telephone, even going so far as to demand that Batasuna's ISP remove their website from the internet. Basically, they're trying to erase their presence from the map.

I understand that they are not a very nice party, affiliating themselves with ETA similiarly to how Sinn Fein associated themselves with the IRA. However, the members of the Batasuna party have been freely elected in a democratic process. From what I understand, their main crime has been to not condemn the ETA and their attacks.

The whole thing is just sad to me. To see a new democracy like Spain try to fix one of their principle problems by undemocratic means. Just because they erased Batasuna doesn't mean they've erased the problem, it just means they have no one to talk to now to find a solution to the problem. Do the people who were part of or voted for Batasuna suddenly disappear? No. Do they stop wanting the separation of the Basque homeland? No. Now that they don't have any political means of expressing their opinions will they resort to supporting the ETA even more with monies and, more importantly, moral support? Yes.

I think it was pretty dumb of the government and the other political parties to outlaw one of their own, no matter how detestible. Who's next? The POSE (the opposing party) because they don't agree with the government on some issue?

My wife, feels exactly opposite about this. She, like all the Spanish, have spent a lifetime living with the crimes of the ETA and are desperate to find some solution, but I just can't imagine this is it.

-Russ

#62689 - 08/26/02 06:34 PM Re: Batasuna
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
LIM,

I don't think anyone thinks this is a real solution to the problem. It's more of a symbolic measure. Note that Garzón's ruling (a judicial act) is distinct from the Cortes' law (a legislative act). Garzón, after combing through all the available information, concluded what everyone has known all along, that there is no difference between ETA and Batasuna. None. As an organization, they are the same, both resposnbile for what he describes as "crimes against humanity."

This, BTW, is the same principal that applies in US criminal law: let's say you are the getaway driver in a bank robbery, and one of your buddies inside the bank shoots and kills someone. You, although you shot no one, are still responsible for the murder to the same extent as the shooter.

Same principal here: Garzón found that Batasuna provided active support, logistics and resources for ETA. Just as guilty as the ones who blow up the little kids. Note that no election is being subverted, as the individual Batasuna members elected (to dog catcher, or whatever the hell these clowns managed) to office are, of course, still in office. Nor are these individuals forbidden from continuing to run and possibly be elected to office as individuals or members of another party.

BTW, I can't think of any democracy, including our own here in the US, that allows groups to participate in it that are actively comitted to its violent overthrow. I don't mean groups that would like a different system, or groups that hate the current system, or groups whose philosphy (like communism, say) can extend to violence under some conditions. I mean groups that, right now, are providing money, recruits, information, moral support, rallies, propaganda and cover for people who are, right now, blowing up cars, killing kids, and shooting politicians in the head.

I actually take this as a sign of Spain's increasing maturity as a democracy, in that they are getting over the legacy of Franco's dictatorship and are no longer afraid to say "no" to terrorists who want to have their cake and eat it too. ETA/Batasuna wants to be accepted as a democratic party, at the same time that they go around killing representatives of other parties. Neat trick, if you can swing it.

And no, I don't think this will make an iota of difference in solving the ETA problem. But, as a purely symbolic gesture, I applaud it.

#62690 - 08/26/02 06:38 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hi Russ, hi to everyone.

Today is an historic day for spanish democracy. At last the strongest arm of ETA has been illegalized (it is in the way to).

I'm sorry but I can't agree with you Russ. Batasuna/Herri Batasuna/Euskal Herritarrok (different names for the same party) is not only an "not-nice" party (or as the always partial CNN the basque party), it is more than that.

It is always sad to illegalize a political party because it is the legitimate representant of the citizens, let's see why Batasuna has been ilegalized.

The Reasons

Herri Batasuna was founded 25 years ago, in the birth of the current spanish democracy as a marxist-leninist party which pursued the independence of the region officialy know as The Basque Country by any means possible, including violent ones.

ETA is not only the "comandos" (groups of terrorists that commit assasinations in specific areas, and which are independent from other comandos), ETA designed a wider complex called KAS (Koordinadora Abertzale Sozialista) in which each organization served for a different task.

I can't recall every name, but here are the organizations of KAS currently ilegalized:
  • Egin: The ETA newspaper, in which ETA made anouncements and which was ilegalized when it was demonstrated that was a prime financial and information source for ETA (due to its media status could obtain certain information privileges).
  • Ekin. International propaganda organization. Ilegalized when it was demonstrated that was the key in the financiation infrastructure of ETA.
  • Xaki
  • Gestoras pro Amnistía. The organization designed to support ETA jailed members. Ilegalized when it was demonstrated that was a financial source for ETA, that it passed information between ETA jailed members and ETA, and that it was coarsing the one who wanted to abandon terrorism.
  • Jarrai and Haika. Organization for teenagers which was ilegalized when it was demonstrated that its members fomented violent acts like burning public buses, attacking business (banks, communications arrays, etc), injuring basque policemen and when material for commiting all these acts was found in its sites.
  • Segi

Some of this organizations have the purpose of supporting ETA members abroad, are financial sources (restaurants and other legal business which serves to five money to ETA), to foment its violent ideology in the Basque Country (even in schools) and abroad.
HB was the political arm of this complex. Here are the main reasons for ilegalizing it:

• It has almost 250 former ETA members (and some of them probably in active membership) as members of Batasuna
  • It has fomented violent acts, and its members have been imprisoned for commiting violent acts, menacing other parties, commiting assasinations or aiding ETA in some other way
  • In its 25 years of existence has never condemn a killing, not even the killings of children or a bombing to prime political representatives, justifying them in the more scandalous ways.
  • It has usurped power every time it could, organizing paralel events in which other parties' representatives should have had representation.
  • It has violated numerous times the laws stated by the basque parlament and the Navarra's parlament (as for example not exhibiting the Navarra's flag in the councils governed by it).
  • In the acts organized by Batasuna almost always shouts as "Gora ETA" - Go on ETA! - or "ETA mátalos" - ETA kill them - have made by Batasuna members, also burning french and spanish flags, allowing ETA members to participate in the meetings
  • It tried to allow a ETA video to be played in the space reserved for it as a political party in the public TVs
  • It has been demonstrated that its members finance ETA, as the european parlamentary that Batasuna has, which was discovered with a couple of million ptas. in a trip from Brusels to the Basque Country
  • The Batasuna senators have not attended to the spanish parlament (Congreso de los Diputados and Senado) for years, but have perceived the wages as senators
  • Batasuna mayors have allowed funerals for ETA members in public spaces (as the councils themselves), exhibiting ETA flags on them
  • etc... (there are 400 pages with reasons given by the judge Baltasar Garzón)

The process
Russ, you say that ilegalizing a party is undemocratic. Germany have ilegalized 25 parties in the recent years (some of them with nazi or xenophobic ideologies), as well as France and United Kingdom. This is the first political party ilegalized in Spain.

The ilegalization has not been only promoved by the Government: It has been a common task of all the powers of the state, the judicial power (by the hand of the 5th Court of Baltasar Garzón), the legislative power (the Congress) in which the ilegalization has obtain the support of the 90% percent of the representatives, and the executive, the Government. A special court composed of judges from the Supreme Tribunal will decide if the ilegalization can be applied. Then the Constitutional Court will determine if the measure comply with our constitution. Thus, the process has democratic legitimation, judicial guarantees and the support of the most important statal representatives.

Moreover, 80 to 90% of the spaniards have expressed in polls that they agree with the measure.

Finally...

With the ilegalization ETA looses a propaganda instrument, its major financial source and a great logistical complex. Following the ilegalization, the spanish government will ask the European Union to recognize Batasuna as a terrorist group equivalent to ETA. That will make ETA loose even more logistical support in its santuars of Belgium and France.

Keep in mind that it is not the ideas which are prosecuted (there are still parties which defend the same objectives by democratic means) but an organization which was integrated in ETA itself.

Those are the reasons for which I think today is a historic day for our democracy. I will sleep better today.

Fernando

#62691 - 08/26/02 06:47 PM Re: Batasuna
Espe3 Offline

LIM-
Believe me, it is NOT a bad thing. Their only crime has NOT been JUST not condeming ETA, they are key in ETA's practices, helping them policically AND financially. Your wife has a different opinion on this, I suggest you try to dig and get to know the rest of the story, I'm sure you won't feel so supportive... its also not as democratic as you may believe. More than anything its an intimidation game, if you don't vote or support ETA, you help Batasuna out, or else. Its a complex issue, El Pais has been doing a good job of covering and explaining what's going on, read through it, you may need some help understanding some of it, its not a simple read, it'll be good to have someone explain some of the things to you, fill you in on the background you may be lacking... the best opinion is an informed one. Being a democracy is something not to be abused, even the US has and will do something similiar. Remember the saying, your rights end where mine begin. The law and democracy exists to help protect that, even sometimes at the risk of being somewhat undemocratic. Batasuna accuses the other parties of being facists, interesting, because if you step away to look at it, they are really the ones that help strip the liberties of the very people they claim to be fighting for. Its a twisted and dangerous business they've been carrying on, and its time for real freedom to begin, not the kind of freedom that THEY decide should exist.

By the way Russ, the basque region continues to have many more liberties than other provences, and they are not loosing their political voice. Simply put, they are cutting of a sick branch to save the rest of the tree. There is still a long road ahead, and ETA is surely going to create some havok, but its a major step in the right direction to curing some of Spain's ills.

#62692 - 08/26/02 06:59 PM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
sniff....sniff...sniff....

I smell a familiar smell on this thread but I can't quite distinguish it from all of the other ETA posts.

LiM: thanks for the link to the article. I've been following this topic since it was first proposed, and I agree with you...this is not a solution. It's not the panacea that the PP is looking for. It's more like applying a band-aid to a severed limb.

You won't stop the "bleeding" with anything but a tourniquet, and unfortunately there is no tourniquet large enough to stop the flow on this issue...certainly not removing a voice from the political process. Now the PP has effectively squelched a democratically-elected voice in the Spanish parliament. Those "illegalized" will now continue down the road until they pass by "marginalized" and stop at "militarized" like their ETA(m) associates.

This, although it looks good "on paper" is not a solution to a flesh-and-blood issue.

#62693 - 08/26/02 07:12 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Cali, as long as we discuss it in a civilized manner I don't see the problem wink

As almost always I don't really agree with you... We have had 25 years of legalization, of "don't do this, it could get worse..." now it is time to try other solutions, and to reinforce the democracy. A party which seeks the destruction of the state, which support a terrorist band, and which uses the democratic tools to menace, coarse and intimidate people, such an undemocratic party can't be legal, here, or anywhere.

Batasuna had 25 years to comply with the legality, with the rules made for and by the people, and had 25 years to say ETA stop, and pursue the independence of the Basque Country (an idea as respectable as any other) by democratic means.

Now I hope it won't be legal anymore.

Fernando

#62694 - 08/26/02 07:14 PM Re: Batasuna
LostInMadrid Offline

Thank you Fernando, your long post was very educational and well written. Among other things, I didn't realize that the representatives still get to maintain their office, that's good to know.

I knew if I posted something here I could be enlightened a bit, because as Espe3 mentioned, it's a complex issue and definitely a bit much to follow for me in Spanish - many times the papers or television assume a level of knowledge I don't have.

The whole thing still bugs me though. The only possible solution is through dialogue, but there has been none with ETA for years. Getting rid of Batasuna just makes dialogue that much harder to attain.

-Russ

#62695 - 08/26/02 08:36 PM Re: Batasuna
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
The only possible solution is through dialogue, but there has been none with ETA for years. Getting rid of Batasuna just makes dialogue that much harder to attain.
I just want to say that these are also my exact feelings. History has shown over and over again that when you suppress discourse it usually leads to more violence.

Nevertheless, nothing grates me more than a European or a Brit criticizing US domestic policy. It's very snooty and arrogant. So I shouldn’t say anything here. Also, I don't have a grasp of all the history and intricacies of this Spanish political issue; I'm not qualified to judge and comment.

#62696 - 08/26/02 09:05 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Yahooooooo!
Cowardly ETA needs to be fought on many fronts. The political wing is only one. THIS IS WAR! I think, in the long term interest of the nation-state we know as Spain, they MUST fight ETA on EVERY front. I think the next should be the educational system. I also think those "anti-ETA" basques should lead this process! If they have the huevos!

#62697 - 08/26/02 09:09 PM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
For what my two cents are worth - I think that that the three year addendum re "outlawing" Batasuna plus the fact that the currently elected members are to complete their terms of office shows a more than fair attempt to give all concerned the opportunity to re-evaluate their methods of trying to achieve their ends.

The majority of Spaniards have been overwhelming supportive of ousting Batasuna - in many ways, the current legislation shows remarkable restraint in handling the situation.

#62698 - 08/27/02 04:59 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
LiM,

I hope you realize that things are "just a little bit more complex" than you seem to think. Please, listen to your wife on this one wink .
(BTW, how's LiM jr.?)

Fernando,

GREAT POST, BRAVO! smile

I agree that sadly, this is not going to be the solution for this situation, I'm sure they'll be some other political organization under some other name (on the lines of "Gora ETA"='Viva ETA'=Long live ETA) (Gee, it's repulsive just to write that!) soon enough; however and I guess this is the feeling of the majority of Spaniards, or at least mine, it was about time SOMETHING, some kind of taugh action was taken. The fact that there are people(HB) who honour the ETA members that are accidently killed when they are setting up bombs to kill innocent people, and whose salary (for not even showing up in congress) is being paid with my (and everyone else's, including the ETA victim's relatives and friends) tax money, is just too much, and I seriously doubt that it would be allowed to happen in any other country.

Let's just hope this new development doesn't imply too much bloodshed during the next days.... frown mad

#62699 - 08/27/02 07:21 AM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

Loc: california
First off, I’d like to say that I fully agree with Aznar that Batasuna is "basura". Batasuna is horrible, but not necessarily illegal. I am living in Bilbao and can see a side of this conflict that I think you should see.

1.There are some people here that see what is happening to Batasuna and think that Spain is escalating its efforts against the Basque Country and think that they should escalate their efforts against Spain (i.e. become more radical). I have heard one person here say “This is war now”.
2.The issue of illegalization has given Batasuna something new to talk about, taking the attention off of its failure to condemn the murder of a 6 year old child. Illegalization will just give ETA another reason to call the Spanish government “fascist” and attract new recruits.
3.Other groups were outlawed and new groups have popped up to take their place. By letting the group continue, you at least have your enemies consolidated and can control them to some degree.

Also, I think that the Batasuna senators don’t attend any sessions because they are abstaining from the process in protest.

Few people here thing that this will change anything, if anything it might just provoke more violence. It might feel good to do now, this but it is important to consider the long term effects of this process.

This can be an emotional subject and I think that if everyone keeps their cool we can have an interesting, respectful discussion of it.

#62700 - 08/27/02 09:07 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Roe,

Just a couple of comments:

-"Spain" would NEVER try to do anything against, or to harm in any way the Basque Country, because the Basque Country IS, at least for now, PART of Spain. It's just a matter of the Spanish Gvt. trying to do what they can (and what an easy task that is! frown ) to confront ETA and its supporters.
-Don't feel sorry for HB's lack of condemnation of the child assasination not getting enough attention; believe me, when they have never condemned any of the almost 4.000 terrorist acts that have taken place over 30 years, that's not such a big deal anymore....
-About the senators, it seems they just don't attend the sessions because they don't consider themselves Spanish, which is why I think THEY SHOULDN'T BE THERE, AND getting paid by all of us in the first place! (and believe me, the money is the least of my concerns)

There must be a reason for the result to be like this, don't you all think?:

295 votes in favor
10 votes against
29 abstention

(Take into consideration the fear factor)

P.S.: My third last name, Arrondo, is Navarre-Basque, I learned that only a few years ago and couldn't be prouder to have some Basque blood in me (unlike many stupid 'etarras' mad ). There's NOTHING against those great people, there's just a lot of sympathy, and when they can't see that in Bilbao, I'm deeply saddened by it, but that's only proof of all the manipulation going on.

#62701 - 08/27/02 11:23 AM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

"1.There are some people here that see what is happening to Batasuna and think that Spain is escalating its efforts against the Basque Country and think that they should escalate their efforts against Spain (i.e. become more radical). I have heard one person here say “This is war now”."

Sadly, it has been war for many years and many people have died.

The following are some invaluable points:
It's time for the anti-ETA Basque people TO STAND UP AND FIGHT AGAINST ETA AND ALL OF ITS MANIFISTATIONS!
The ordinary Basque PEOPLE should protect the judges and politicians and journalists in the Basque country!
Basque business owners should NEVER pay any money for "protection" to ETA!
All Basque people in the Basque educational system should celebrate and honor not only their Basque heritage but also their SPANISH NATIONALITY!

It has been a war for many years and the Basque people must fight on the side of SPAIN!

#62702 - 08/27/02 12:04 PM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I agree with Russ & JJP, as the only viable solution looks to be via dialogue.

Unfortunately, since Aznar and the rest of PP feels that everyone in the HB is a terrorist, we have had no dialogue in those "25 years" that Fernando mentioned. I think Felipe was the last presidente del gobi to suggest dialogue. I may be a little hazy on that, but I believe that was something he tried during his presidency.

Quote:
I also think those "anti-ETA" basques should lead this process! If they have the huevos!
confused Would you have the "huevos" if your family was at risk and being threatened? Very few of us would, and the rest are divided into two groups: Those who can afford personal protection and those who cannot. This is something that almost nobody on the board is qualified to comment on, as the overwhelming majority of us are not approached by ETA to pay the revolutionary tax, and our families are not in immediate danger. It's easy to armchair quarterback this one, but it's a little more complex than "just say NO", Nancy.

It's also quite evident that some of the same families that want to see an end to the violence have family members involved in the root of the problem. I've spoken to grandmothers who mourn for their "living", those who are "fichados" in ETA, but would do anything to keep them alive except for turning them in.

Quote:
The majority of Spaniards have been overwhelming supportive of ousting Batasuna
But the majority of Basques in those diputados' districts voted them in. Perhaps the solution lies in education, not in illegalization of a democratic process. Those who voted "followed the rules".

Quote:
"Spain" would NEVER try to do anything against, or to harm in any way the Basque Country
We're going to need a time frame there, as I can think of a half-dozen instances in just this past century where "Spain" HAS done "anything" to "harm in any way the Basque Country". It's all a question of perspective. By the same token, you'd be a fool to think that ETA hasn't ever done anything to harm "Spain". It doesn't suprise me that the four or so HB seats sit empty at the cámara, as those Basques are most likely, and this is pure speculation based on observation of popular opinion, looked at in much the same way a Gypsy is viewed on a subway...with suspicion and disdain.

And Toddy:
Quote:
It has been a war for many years and the Basque people must fight on the side of SPAIN!
Why? confused

CaliBasco [Who is doing his best to alienate everyone possible...did I mention how much I hate hominids?] rolleyes Good grief this is a long post...please, don't read it. Your eyes may glaze over...

#62703 - 08/27/02 02:44 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Someone said "in a matter which has two possible solutions, the most probably right is the most simple to explain".

Here the most simple is not to think that Batasuna is fighting against an opressive state, but that they are simply a bunch of pro-terrorists without brain.

We can argue if the ilegalization will make things worse... worse than killing a girl of 6 years-old? ETA will continue to kill, but at least Batasuna will not be there as a legal political party to laugh at the face (literally) of the victim's families. A democratic country must use whatever legal means to defend itself from those who want to destroy it.

Cali, for me it would be an error to think of this issue as a Spain vs Basque Country. Let me remember you that 11 (7 PP, 4 PSOE) of the 19 (add 7 for PNV and 1 for EA) basque parlamentaries have voted for the ilegalization of Batasuna.

You have said that the solution is education and I fully agree with it, but you have also said that dialogue was necessary. It is always helpful to solve matters talking, but with ETA or Batasuna is impossible.

After ETA killed Miguel Angel Blanco the 18th of July of 1997 the social pressure against ETA and Batasuna was very hard, and the 4 most active comandos of ETA were imprisoned and deactivated. ETA declared a truce (which lasted two years). Then your beloved Aznar (of whom you said he didn't offered dialogue wink ) started secret talikings with ETA highest rankings. After that was unveiled, it was known that during the truce, and when ETA was making the show that they were wanting to dialogue, at that same time they were training and activating new comandos, garning information of potential new objectives, making extorsion to get money, and buying new weapons. When they had again active terrorist cells, they broke the truce (without reason) and started again to kill.

That is the kind of dialogue ETA wants. Batasuna has never make any effort, any gesture to find a solution to the terrorism but continue to say that "ETA was an expression of the basque conflict".

France ilegalized Iparretarrak (french equivalent to Batasuna) in 1987.

ETA has responded today to the ilegalization of Batasuna: it has put a bomb in Tolosa (no injured).

And to end, today a representative of the american government has supported the ilegalization of Batasuna as it has links with the terrorist bands. Remember that Batasuna is considered a terrorist group by the american authorities.

Fernando

#62704 - 08/27/02 03:15 PM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Franco has been dead for 27 years now, will EVERYONE PLEASE GET OVER IT ALREADY?!!! Isn't it about time? It's ridiculous.

I'm honestly very curious Cali, do you come to Spain often?, do you spend time in the Pais Vasco when you do come visit? I ask this because a few times already the way in which you make jokes, or just mantain a humorous tone while discussing ETA really strikes me as odd, considering two things: I've vacationed in Zarauz for ten years and have NEVER found Basque people even DARE to talk about the terrorist issue in public (let alone joke about it, unthinkable!), not even at Jose Mª Alkorta's funeral in 2002, our last summer in Zarauz, which I attended because he was our appartment building neighbor. Well, to be exact, during Julio Iglesias Zamora's kidnapping, people started wearing blue ribbons to show their support for him, in Zarauz!, I remember we could not believe it (still no words though). Number two: I would never even dream about making fun in any way about September 11th.
This being said, in case you are wondering, I believe I'm considered to have a very healthy sense of humour but there are just limits to certain things....

And yes, it's been positively proven that during Felipe Gonzalez's govt. the PSOE people did try talking to the bastards....

Fernando, I just read your post, and you're right, the famous truce WAS INDEED a joke related to ETA after all....

One last thing, today's bomb didn't cause any damage because its 'temporizador' failed so they were able to get everybody out of the area and proceed to deactivate it.

#62705 - 08/27/02 04:54 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

The Basque people are Spaniards and Spaniards should help Spaniards.

The many Basque parades against ETA after each death are nothing more than a little symbol. What they need to do if they really are against violence is FIGHT ETA!

The great Basque culture should have nothing to do with ETA. It should not be allowed to brainwash the people,especially the youth, to support ETA.

I also think PP should give some carrot along with a very strong stick!

Talk is cheap AND costing lives!

#62706 - 08/28/02 11:28 AM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I´ll keep the post brief.

ETA=Batasuna

The same killers who start off planting car-bombs, later "graduate" into the polticians under the banner of Batasuna. Just like the Amrerican Mafia, you start out by "rubbing out enemies" of the family and with the passage of time you assend into a "Dapper Don" with expensive Italian suits with a "legitimate" construction business. In ETA you start by planting a few car-bombs, then once your ruthless reputation has been established you begin your legal "political carrer".

In the United States we have laws against money laundering by the mafia. Spain has now finaly established a law against ETA=Batasuna. I congratulate Spain for their resolve in confronting the ETA cancer, the fight against the baby-killers will be continue to be every bit as tough as America´s was against the mafia, but at least now the thugs can´t cloak themselves as legitimate politicians. The FBI has closed down countless mafia businesses, I am glad to see that Spain has put the locks on the Batasuna racket.

Summary
ETA=Batasuna

#62707 - 08/28/02 01:38 PM Re: Batasuna
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
I couldn't agree more with what Fernando and Pim have said.
Kicking Batasuna/HB/EH out of the democratic political scene won't solve the ETA problem but, at least, they won't continue receiving public money. That was insulting! The same way it was insulting when they appointed the ETA killer Josu Ternera for the "Human Rights comission" or when they used a council place to "honour" 4 ETA members accidentally killed in a car-bomb on their way to place it in another "target". Honoring martyrs...

#62708 - 08/28/02 02:37 PM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

....Or when they burn Spanish flags at their political rallies, or when at one point admitted 'Votar HB es votal a ETA', "to vote HB means to vote for ETA", or more recently when they warned everyone that all sorts of terrible things would happen if the decision that has been just taken was indeed carried out,....Scary

But I forgot to say that there's one thing I agree on with Cali; I think it's easy for us to say what the people who suffer ETA's extortion should do, we're not in their shoes!!! Toddy, are you sure you wouldn't pay ETA the money necessary to release a member of your family if they kidnapped him/her and you were certain that was the only solution?

Today I had a very interesting discussion with a manager from my office, I'm sure he's over 50, and he was telling me how he still remembers the chaos when ETA placed its very first bomb close to his house in San Sebastian and he was 6 years old!, which means that time truly flies and that their macabre activities have been going on for at least one decade more than I thought!

#62709 - 08/28/02 08:42 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
Toddy, are you sure you wouldn't pay ETA the money necessary to release a member of your family if they kidnapped him/her and you were certain that was the only solution?
I'm talking about the day to day paying of an "ETA tax" by business owners to those cowards. ALL of the Basque people should stand against this and, if need be, stand and protect each and every business in the Basque country!
"United we Stand"

#62710 - 08/28/02 08:52 PM Re: Batasuna
Espe3 Offline

The problem is, that haven given into these poor excuses of human beings, the people most terrified of them are the same ones who gave them the power they have in the first place. This is why its gotten to where it is today. Yes, I would move heaven and hell to protect my family, as most of us would, but to give in to a bully only gives the bully more power, making the bully even more difficult to defeat. So, its a small step, and Garzon is a very brave man, risking his life to change things and make things right, and hopefully that courage will spread and people will unite to fight together against this monster. Let's pull its pants down and laugh at IT for a change!!!! Yes, people are going to get hurt, but do you want your children/grandchildren being bound by this never-ending cycle? Or fight now, even if it costs your life and provide a better future for them? Sound familiar? The French or American Revolution ring any bells for anybody? This isn't much more different than that!

#62711 - 08/29/02 09:42 PM Re: Batasuna
DrSigmundFraud Offline

Espe3,
Thank you for the fine post. I coulnd't agree with you more. On a personal level I am glad to see that the government of Spain has made Herri Batasuna for what they are: outlaws. This last June, my daughter, who I love more than life itself, nearly missed being murdered by a car bomb that these neanderthals had left in the Corte Ingles parking area in Zaragoza.
Dialogue? Reason with them? Understand their point of view? Why? The only thing this Basque version of tornado-bait trailer court trash understands is violence and mayhem. Pay them "impuestos revolucionarios"? Pay a ransom? No. No, sir. Not a single centimo.
Maybe someone should tell these so called "revolutionaries" that Franco is dead and it's highly unlikely that he will be resurrected anytime soon.
Until then, Fuhgeddaboudit!

Shalom, y'all.

#62712 - 08/31/02 04:03 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

It's time to start reading about ETA ONLY in the history books. The End!

#62713 - 08/31/02 06:23 PM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

For all of you who say you would stand up and fight, try and imagine what you would do if this happened to you. It's just one example of how vicious ETA is.

http://servicios.elcorreodigital.com/viz...IZ-ACT-227.html

#62714 - 09/01/02 04:47 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

ETA vicious assasins? NOOOOO! They're just playful "Basque separatists" mad

Very enlightening article Roe. Thanks.
It has reminded me a little bit of what happened to Mª Dolores González(a.k.a. Yoyes) an ETA ex-member who at a certain point in her life decided to change and stop being part of the senseless bloodshed, so she went into exile in Mexico and started a family, but loved her Basque land too much to stay away and thought that in democratic times she could return and live in peace, until one day one of her former "freedom fighter" pals killed her point-blank when she was taking a walk with her small daughter in the middle of 'la plaza de su pueblo'.
There's a movie made about her life's story, it's called "Yoyes", you might want to check it out. It makes me wonder how many former, current and future members of ETA or even HB, might want to get out of that horror at some point, but don't, because they know what would happen to them....

#62715 - 09/01/02 06:35 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Oh those beautiful somber parades the "anti-ETA Basque" people participate in after each ETA attack. Talk and parades are cheap. Are you with them or against them........or are you third world revolutionaries in a third world country?

#62716 - 09/01/02 06:36 PM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Pim, I earlier compared ETA to the mafia, the case you mentioned ilustrates this point. You can´t leave the mafia unless your dead, you can only leave ETA when you are dead. They treat former members in the same fashion,assasination.

#62717 - 09/01/02 06:57 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

parade on..........................

#62718 - 09/02/02 06:15 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Watch this in the embassy of the USA in Spain ( www.embusa.es ). It is something said by the State Department Spokesman of the USA Richard Boucher:

"The United States strongly supports Spain's efforts to fight ETA terrorism. As in any sovereign democracy, Spanish elected officials and judicial authorities have the legitimate right and responsibility to take action against terrorist organizations. It is our understanding that these actions are not directed at curtailing legitimate political activity or free speech, but rather are based upon Batasuna's alleged links to the ETA terrorist group."

Everytime I see on the media news the support of the USA government on the fight against ETA I thank God for it. If not for this support, the information intel exchange, and the political support, it would be harder for us to erradicate the terrorism.

Thanks USA! smile

Fernando

#62719 - 09/02/02 02:59 PM Re: Batasuna
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Fernando,

Thanks for sharing the information about the U.S. position regarding ETA. I too am glad that the countries are working together to eradicate the terrorist activities of groups like ETA. After 9/11 there has been an awakening here in the US at the horror of terrorism. The anxiety, the frustration, the agnst, and horror that Europeans have had to deal with for many years are now part of our cosmology.

Until 9/11 whenever we heard of a terrorist act elsewhere it did not have the same impact as it does now. Now, our hearts reach out to the families and friends of the victims the same way that our hearts were touched by the loss of our loved ones. Anger fills our hearts towards the evildoers that deny a child her life. There's no longer any excuse for terrorism.

#62720 - 09/03/02 07:43 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Fernando,
Mi amigo de España,
de nada
you are TOTALLY welcome.
I hope that the US and Spain can continue to work together to abolish any and all of the terrorists in the world and their cowardly evil activities!

United We Stand!

toddy,
de USA smile

#62721 - 09/14/02 05:56 PM Re: Batasuna
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
I admit I haven`t read all the posts on this topic, I am sending this just to reply the original one. Mostly I agree with it; I think to outlaw a political party is not the answer. If ETA and Batasuna are the same, well then prove it and imprison them. Why was it necessary to make a new law, which outlines what kind of ideas are compulsory? (say, "if you don`t claim loud and clear that you are against ETA, you get behind the bars"). I have heard one thousand times that Batasuna often sits terrorists in city councils and the Basque parlament; they supposedly send money to support ETA, and so on and on...then why can`t Spanish authorities lock them unless they make a SPECIAL law just against this political party?
This is crazy, now it is illegal just to stay silent when the others condemn terrorism. It is ridiculours. Even demonstrations against the new law are banned! Where is free speech, then? You can read a great essay on this (in Spanish) at

http://www.lanuevaespana.es/periodico25agosto/PG033TRI252.htm

But now...why should the first post-sender include that hint about a "young democracy" which still holds certain "fascist trends"? Is Spain such a "young" democracy? The Franco era was only possible because the UK and the Americans refused to help the II Republic, both before and after the WWII. The democratic tradition of Spain doesn`t start in 1978, but in 1520, when the "Comuneros" defied the Habsburg tyrant. As to the English-speaking world, their "democratic" tradition is nothing to write home about (I am not trying to be respectless, really; just sincere). The Bloody Sunday was not much better than any Franquist massacre. And, as far as the perils of "Free-Speech cuts", and fascist involution, there is a WONDERFUL essay (in English) available at http://www.rmbowman.com/ssn/terror3.htm
PS-If you remember me, from the "Spanish nationalism" thread, you will notice that I am not exactly a Spanish chauvinist. But really, I don`t see why should I accept humbly that the US, or the Britons, or anyone, claim that they can teach lessons to others upon their "democratic tradition". Please!!! the days of the Empire are (happyly) gone. We are all equals, ain`t we?

#62722 - 09/15/02 06:42 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
The Franco era was only possible because the UK and the Americans refused to help the II Republic, both before and after the WWII.
Hmmmmm, I know of some DEAD Lincoln Brigade Americans who could argue against this post much better than I. eek

(I think there is a memorial in La Mancha for those Americans who refused to help) mad

#62723 - 09/16/02 01:05 AM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

There were some Americans that fought in the Spanish Civil War, but they acted as private individuals. The American government was against them and threatened those that went to Spain to fight for the Republic.

#62724 - 09/16/02 02:05 AM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Thank you Roe for adding in that important bit about private, individual support of a few Americans. Sometimes people get the wrong impression that since Hemingway and others wrote about their experiences in the "brigadas" that their practices were accepted by the government. It is evident that the US chose to ignore the problem instead of involving itself in a solution.

I agree with Cristobo, especially when he asks "where's the free speech?" Outlawing Batasuna, while sexy, en vogue and on paper looking like the right thing to do post 11-S, is not the answer, and is actually a step backwards for Spain's version of democracy.

Remember that, even though public school teachers sign affadavits prior to employment barring them from teaching communism in public schools, they can still be members of the Communist Party in this country "after hours" when the instruction day is done. That's because, even though we may not agree with communism, McCarthyism is dead and free speech lives in the land of the truly free.

#62725 - 09/16/02 02:06 AM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Duplicate Post...damn dial-up connections! wink

#62726 - 09/16/02 04:46 AM Re: Batasuna
Cristobo Carrín Offline

I don`t like to point out to others what is wrong, like if I were perfect or lived in a perfect world (I think Aznar and most of Spanish political an judicial system stinks). However, Calibasco, I guess you will agree that something goes actually wrong, lately in the US. It is obvious that the first modern revolution who prevailed (after Cromwell) it was the American one, that modern idea of liberty is based upon American models, and so on...but modern America, I think, is going back in many aspects, as far as human rights are concerned. There are too many religious zealots running key sectors of government, too much support for Israeli biggots, too much money for the defense budget. Too much "patriotism" in the "patriotic act". Too many prisioners in Guantanamo. In my opinion, our dear puppet Aznar only dares to illegalize Batasuna because the "environment" is suitable for that. He dares because the US government appears to believe anything is OK in order to fight terrorism.

#62727 - 09/16/02 05:53 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
The Spanish Republic's only true support came from Josef Stalin and the Russian Communists. The International Brigades that supported the Republic were made up of people around the world, and included two battalions, the Washingtons & the Lincolns, from the US. By-and-large, the members of the brigades were either Communists (including the US participants) or Anarchists. On the other hand, Franco was supported by the might of Nazi Germany, and Fascist Italy.

Stalin raped the Republic, by insisting that the Spanish gold reserve be transferred to Moscow, and in turn - he would send weapons & planes. He also sent a few pilots to man the antiquated pieces of crap they were giving to the Republic.

The US "insisted" that Great Britain & France remain neutral. There were a couple of reasons. One not withstanding was the fact that the US considered the Communist threat worse than that of the Nazis. It was hoped, quietly, that the Nazis would attack Russia and destroy the Communist government. There was another problem the US faced. It was rebellion within. Retired Marine Corps General Smedley Butler was basically asked to overthrow the US government just a few years earlier. The issue was supported by bankers, industrialists, and notables such as Charles Lindbergh. A new "caretaker" government would be formed. It would be based on the principles of Fascism. Here's one link, but there's a multitude of sources of info related to this in most well kept libraries in the US. http://www.chrononhotonthologos.com/lawnotes/smedley.htm

In 1998, Spain welcomed the members of the International Brigades back to Spain, treated them with the greatest respect, and even offered citizenship to those who fought. It was a touching moment for everyone. The people of Spain, and the many villages where these men had trained, and died, opened their doors to them, and made them feel like they were part of Spain, and always would be.

A surprising side note, that the vast majority of the US participants were Jewish. Ironic considering they had been expelled from Spain centuries earlier.

There are literally dozens of books out there, written by Brigidistas. The majority are worth reading. I have several in my library, and have made a point to read as many more as I could from the libraries.

As for Hemingway, he was in Spain as a journalist, not as a soldier/fighter. In fact, he'd cruise around in a touring car, and view battles from a distance. His stay in Madrid was less than admirable. While Franco's army lay siege to the city, and people were starving, Hemingway lived like a king, the finest food and booze delivered to him. His "parties" were the envy of the entire press corps, and an invitation to one of his nightly sessions where he'd hold court meant a full belly, and a toasty warm feeling because he had the corner on the booze available. Some journalists claimed that Hemingway's dispatches should have been their own. Much of what he reported on, and gleaned for his manuscript, For Whom The Bell Tolls, came from other journalists, who'd seen first hand the real carnage of what was happening.

Wolf

#62728 - 09/16/02 10:50 AM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Roe and Wolf - mucho gracias for setting the record staight and confirming the historical accuracy of what the International Brigade(s) were all about. We need more accurate 'history profs' on the board! wink

I posted the following in another thread - but it appropos here
Quote:
The Terrorist Network by Claire Sterling (1981) details who/what/why international terrorism came about and why it is so effective, etc.
There is a section on the Basque area - a group of people and an area she loved - strongly suggest anyone interestwd in these subjects read both the above and Thieves World (same author) 1994.

#62729 - 09/30/02 08:46 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
Mr Aznar insisted that no part of the Spanish state would be able to break away and create what he called an "illegal regime".

You go Abe Lincoln, I mean Mr. Aznar. Keep the Spanish Union is the battle cry! And never give up or give in to cowardly terrorists!!!!!!!! mad

#62730 - 10/01/02 08:56 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

In the past week the two main bosses of ETA have been arrested in France, three active cells have been also arrested, important documentation taken, and the ability of ETA commiting assasinations lowered (they are still able to bomb and kill however).

Two days ago the president of the basque government did a proposal of secesionism with a formula of "co-sobereignity" in the Basque Country that would be a relationship like the one between Puerto Rico and the United States of America.

Following that proposal the non-nationalist political parties have stated that the proposal is incompatible with the constitution, with the European Union and that it lacks of any legal basis, not to say that they are against the desintegration of Spain.

Interesting political times...

Fernando

#62731 - 10/01/02 11:35 AM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Fernando you are correct, very interesting times here. Sadly PNV has decided to take a political course that is distructive and dangerous. The more the PNV leadership speaks the more they resemble the crazy Batasuna leadership.

They have suggested that they are a crusified Christ figure along side two thieves. Advancing the idea that PP and ETA are equvialant.What nonsence!

They have been trying to appeal to former Batasuna voters with a tone that is repulsive to the rational 95% of Spain. Illegal rallies organized by ETA-Batasuna have been permited to proceed. For every mild condemnation of ETA, there are 3 sharp denouncements of the Spanish government. I have to ask myself, whose side are they on.

The Spanish people who live in the Basque provinces are being betrayed by their politicians who are undertaking an agenda to destroy the 500 year of a united strong Spain. My thoughts and prayers go out to those PSOE and PP poltiicans who represnt the regions despite the constant threat of assasination. I wish PNV would show the same concern for those in the Basque region who live under threat of death every day, as they show for their own deranged philosophy.

#62732 - 10/01/02 02:04 PM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Fernando and Shawn,
You're forgetting that three people have died during the last week.
Two terrorists died when the explosives that they were carrying in their car accidently went off (too bad!). Of course one of them was named 'hijo predilecto' immediately after it happened, in his HB ran hometown.
And the next day, a 'guardia civil' was victim to a really coward trap. He went to dismantle a banner related to ETA or HB (I'm not sure, but, who cares?) and at that moment a bomb exploded. Of course, that same day his young widow had to know about HB's several demonstrations of sorrow for the previous day's deaths, while only 50 people dared demonstrating against her husband's brutal killing in the village where the couple lived, some of those brave people being other widows who probably feel they don't have much left to lose.

#62733 - 10/01/02 02:37 PM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Right on Pim,

I didn´t forget it, but I´m glad you brought it up. Those outside of Spain must understand the madness of ETA. I wanted to throw-up every time the news reports showed images of the would-be killer who died before making a young bride a widow, or before making a family childless. I only wished more etarras had the same kind of accidents. laugh

The news media properly block the identities of the police officers and military personel who risk their lives to save the lives of others. I only wish that they wouldn´t show the repulsive faces of dead or captured terrorists. These animals don´t need any publicity, and to see brainwashed townspeople in parts of the Basque region carring images of dead etarras is enough to loose my cool. mad I don´t support censorship, but the new agencies should be more responsable in their reporting of ETA.

PIM, see you Oct 5?

#62734 - 10/01/02 03:55 PM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

TOTALLY RIGHT ON, SHAWN!

See you there! smile

#62735 - 10/01/02 04:17 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Both of you are right, I forgot to tell about this men (the etarras who died by their own bomb and the guardia civil). ETA is coward, and will continue killing anytime they can.

Perhaps somewhen we will see the end of this madness...

Fernando

#62736 - 10/01/02 09:34 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Carrot and stick, simplistic but very Effective.
The Basques ARE Spanish and should remain so.
It's time for the rest of Spain to remind them of this, AHORA!

#62737 - 10/01/02 09:56 PM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Cutting off Batasuna did nothing more than drive ETA further underground. Now you have a reaction from moderate Basques, seeking a referendum, which will probably happen, with or without the blessings of Madrid. If they don't get the referendum, rest assured the Basques will become more beligerent, and the attacks against the Madrid government will escalate far beyond what you've seen in the past.

Since the Madrid government keeps insisting that the vast majority of people in Basque Country don't agree with the seperatist movement, why on earth wouldn't they allow the vote? It worked in Quebec province in Canada, with the Seperatist movement there. Why not in Spain.

Wolf (Who thinks the Madrid government has cooked the books on their figures.) rolleyes

#62738 - 10/02/02 09:02 AM Re: Batasuna
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

I'm afraid to ask but: Is the referendum requested by the PV president for the Pais Vasco only, or for the whole of Spain?

How much autonomy does the PV already have?

#62739 - 10/02/02 09:18 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Booklady,
A lot.

Wolf,
I confess I'm a little surprised you ask that question; quite a few times, some "posters" "talk" about this or that being unconstitutional, usually referring to actions that the "Madrid Government" (by that you mean the Spanish Government, right?) undertake. So I thought everybody was such an expert on our constitution here!
By law, in Spain referendums can't be carried out locally, if there was a referendum about the indepencence of the Pais Vasco we would all vote. The PNV wants to change the constitution beforehand so only the Basque people would vote.

#62740 - 10/02/02 09:36 AM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

It seems like a reasonable thing to allow people to vote to decide if they want separate or not. I agree with Wolf on this one. If a there were a clear legal path that the Basque Country could follow maybe it would provide a peaceful way for people to direct their separatist feelings. After banning Batasuna, now people are putting up posters from other known radicalist groups, so thigns haven´t changed, just the names have. I think that Madrid should support a referendum on the subject.

#62741 - 10/02/02 10:19 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Roe, you live there, think about it, think about the Basque small villages where everybody knows everyone very well; do you suppose the result of that referendum would be 100% true to people's opinions and feelings?, I'd say terror is a factor that can taint(¿?) the outcome even if it's only a little bit, and what's really the use of voting anything if it's not done 101% freely?
I personally (and I'm sure millions of Spaniards agree) have wished for the longest time that:
-The constitution allowed regional referendums.
-The voting took place but ALL sorts of measures were taken somehow so that everyone who wanted to vote, did so, and viceversa.
-Those voters were totally fear-free
-If the result was NO independence for the Pais Vasco....too bad guys!
-If the result was YES and farewell to Spain; we would bye-bye back. (though I'd be sad for the thousands of Basques that would be in a separate country, without wanting to, and "left alone" with some pretty unhuman individuals! eek )

#62742 - 10/02/02 10:20 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

PIM,

I refer to the Madrid government because that's how the Basques who want separation refer to it. It's as if it was another nation.

I realize that the Spanish government won't allow for a referendum vote in Basque Country. In the US, states can, and do, offer referendums on their own, but nothing as far reaching as to whether or not they can secede from the union. That would be illegal in the US as well.

But, what does matter is that the government keeps indicating the Basques don't really want more autonomy, and that the intent of cutting off Batasuna is that they were the political wing of ETA. In both cases, the statements are generalized and only partially true. Many people who have gauged the issue believe the majority of people in Basque Country do want their own nation, and that Batasuna may have very well been the only link to open dialogue that could have stopped the bombings. By eliminating Batasuna, the government has actually pushed thousands of people who weren't supportive of ETA over the edge, and into their camp.

If the Spanish government wants to resolve the question of independence for Basque Country once and for all, and really believes the majority of people in Basque Country don't want to be a separate nation, they should feel comfortable in at least offering a non-binding referendum where only the Basques could vote on the issue. I see no reason for any other region to be involved in the vote. It's not their issue, it's an issue for the people of Basque Country.

Let them vote. A non-binding referendum. Let the Spanish government prove to the world that the Basques don't really want their own nation.

Wolf (Who believes there will be no referendum because it will tell the truth, and it isn't exactly what Madrid wants people to know.)

#62743 - 10/02/02 10:40 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Bad argument Wolf, with all my respect.

The Basque Government was already in the path of making such a proposal. They decided to follow the path of separatism 4 years ago, not a month ago when Batasuna was ilegalized (there is not a cause-effect relationship between both facts).

The Government has not outlawed Batasuna. The Government has asked the Supreme Court to do so following a law made by the Spanish Parlament and voted by majority, with the aproval of the Constitutional Court. Batasuna was outlawed because they commited crimes contained in that law, not due to their ideas.

The Basque Country is the most autonomous region in all Europe. They have even more rights and competences than a german federal lander, than Scotland and than a federal state of the USA.

They have a legal path to made a referendum, which is presenting the petition of 500,000 persons in the spanish parlament. The Basque Government don't want to call for a referendum, because they know that they will loose it.

Also, the Basque Country is not Quebec. All the political oposition (50% of the basque parlamentaries are from the PP,PSOE and UA) have to have bodyguards. ETA is a real mafia, who imposes in small villages the vote on their radical political arm by the force of terror.

In this conditions a referendum are inviable.

The spanish Constitution of 1978 (aproved by vast majority of more than 70% votes for in the Basque Country) stablish that the subject of soberignity are the spanish citizens as a whole. I don't want a federal state model, nor the majority of spaniards. And I don't want my country broken into smaller states. Why would they do by themselves?

My money, and the money of other spaniards, have been historicaly used to build colosal infrastructures in the Basque Country (the Bilbao Seaport, highways, public industries,...). If they go independent, I want it back!

Fernando

#62744 - 10/02/02 10:50 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Wolf, a referendum to change the Constitution must be national wide, not only local.

Also, as I stated above, there are not enough guarantees for the basques to vote in freedom (not fearing reprisals for voting some party).

Your argument is: Let them do what they want, so they will stop the bombings. ETA will continue killing even if they reach an idependent country. They are a marxist-leninist terrorist band, it is a joke to think otherwise...

What of the 50% of non-nationalist who doesn't want an independent country? What for the 200,000 baques exiliated to other regions of Spain? Would they have a vote right? The inmigrants? (called spanish rats by a PNV politic in a most xenophobic way) Who could vote? What would happen to those who didn't vote for independence?

And finally: Would you as an american leave, for example, Florida, to constitute itself as an independent country?

Fernando

#62745 - 10/02/02 11:44 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

I stated in my post that a referendum to secede from the union in the US would not be allowed. Would I condone it for Florida? To be honest, I don't know. Has Florida "asked to secede?" A lot of Americans might be willing to allow it, if they asked for it. But that's not my view. I'm neutral on the issue. I ask why the Spanish government can't allow a "non-binding" referendum, that would do no more than let everyone in Spain know the truth?

Guarantees of safety. A polling place, with proper guards, and ballots that allow a person to check their choices should be safe enough. How would anyone know which way they were voting? If you have fears for safety when it comes to the people getting to the polling place, set up additonal safeguards as the government sees fit. Set up an online method, a phone in method, anything to insure safety. Just make sure that each "resident of Basque Country who is of legal age" gets to vote, and their vote is counted.

I keep hearing this, "Who gets to vote?" thing over and over. Obviously you have to be a resident of Basque Country to vote. Just because a person is of Basque descent, and living in Cleveland, Ohio doesn't give them a right to vote. The Spanish government offers that up as one of the smoke screens that makes people say, "See? It wouldn't be fair. We don't even know who would vote." You have residency requirements in Spain, honor those laws and boundaries in the referendum.

I didn't say, "Let them do what they want if they stop the bombing." I raised the issue as to how accurate the information from the Spanish government is, and wonder what their real intent is, when it came to cutting off Batasuna. I find it hard to believe that legislators could sit in session, and throw someone out of office, because they refused to condemn something like they had. I wonder why The Spanish government doesn't realize they've created a worse enemy now than they had before, with thousands of new people taking up their cause.

"They're all Leninists & Marxists?" The two political ideologies are different. They disagree unto each other, and cannot survive together. They wouldn't work together, like the Spanish government alludes. That makes me question why people keep saying that ETA is "All Leninists & Marxists." It doesn't play in Altoona, sorry. It sounds like pure propaganda fed to the press, nothing more.

The excuses for why a non-binding election can't be held don't hold up under scrutiny. If you live in Basque Country, you should be allowed to vote. It's just that simple. The government should stop clouding the issue with senseless reasons why they can't hold the elections.

Wolf

#62746 - 10/02/02 01:54 PM Re: Batasuna
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Strange issue, and a strange time indeed this is
I agree totally that it is a mistake to illegalize Batasuna. The new law is good only to reduce free speech all over the kingdom of Spain and encourage more stupid Basque patriotic brats to join ETA "due to the opression that our nation is suffering". The PP obviously has many fascist trends, and enjoys giving propaganda to the people instead of intelligent decisions. That as much as the Spanish government is concerned.
But the PNV is not much better. Now they want to start a process of independence. Great, but...Is that really the first priority in their country? Really? The idea that Basques support the 1978 Constitution, only that are being opressed by evil nationalists, is just Spanish propaganda, but... Shouldn`t the Basque government worry about more close problems, rather than "Freedom for the nation"? Basque society is divided, and apparently the PNV has not made much to fill the gap between the nationalist majority and the constitutionalist minority. They seem more worried to teach kids at school the way Spain (supposedly) invaded and destroyed their country, rather than respect their Spanish-Basque neighbours.
Basque nationalist claim that their liberty as a nation is under the opression of Spain. They feel "unconfortable" being part of the Kingdom. But what comes first? Their collective right to decide about being independent, or the individual rights that nationalist biggots threat everywhere in Euskadi, burning bookshops, threatening, blackmailng, or killing people? If I were Basque, and wanted independence (and there are very good reasons to make that choice), I would feel ashamed to ask for it, as long as my political rivals felt scared to express their disagreement.

#62747 - 10/02/02 01:54 PM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

And that's exactly the way I feel...I just can't say it so eloquently! Gracias, Wolf!

CaliBasco [Who is still under condemnation by some on this board for 'turning every post into a pro-radical Basque' statement; I am neither radical nor Basque (by birth)] frown

#62748 - 10/02/02 03:10 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

This is a most controversial issue indeed.

Wolf:
The subject of a referendum is not that easy. Safety for the voters can't be guaranteed. It is legaly impossible with the actual laws (save the path I stated above). And it wouldn't be backed by spaniards (in general).

What I can't share is the philosophy of "This is getting worse, let them do what they want". Laws have to be respected, criminals have to be jailed, and the point of view of the majority of the spaniards must be not only respected (by nationalists) but defended and pursued (by the main political spanish parties). We don't want referendums, and we don't want disintegration of the country. We want ETA to stop killing.

As for ETA as marxist-leninists, I have not readen it in a newspaper, heard it in the TV news, or having been said by a politic. It is how ETA itself describes its ideology.

Cristobo: I respect your opinion about the ilegalization of Batasuna though I don't share it. They have had 25 years to freely defend their arguments, and what they have done is nothing but laughing at the victims face, supporting each ETA killing and giving it infrastructure.

I fully agree that the main problem is the lack of freedom as a consequence of ETA activity and the nationalist lack of action against it. The nationalist point of view is respectable (when it is pursued by democratic means) though.

CaliBasco: Please I wouldn't sleep if you see me as a censor. I give you permission to speak freely :p But don't expect me to agree on anything you say.

Just one more thing: One of the main characteristics of the nationalism in Spain is the victimism. This time (at least for me) it is crystaline clear who is been attacked, who wants to break the current status, who wants to do things in an ilegal way, and finally, who wants to take advantage of the ETA killings.

Fernando

#62749 - 10/02/02 04:19 PM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Trust me, there's no way you or anyone else on this board would be able to shut me up. Don't flatter yourself. wink :p

On second thought, I guess MadridMan could always take away my posting privileges...you wouldn't, would you, MM? eek

Eloquence: n. Ability to clearly and effectively articulate one's point of view; ant. CaliBasco;

#62750 - 10/02/02 05:02 PM Re: Batasuna
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Gracias, Pim for your answer. As you know I am no expert of Spanish politics, but am willing to learn!

I do want to thank those posting for sharing your information and points of view. This is indeed a fascinating topic from so many perspectives. the more I read the more complex the case of Pais Vasco seems to appear. From one perspective there are the terrorists terrorizing the citizens of Pais Vasco as well as the rest of Spain. Then there is the perspective that a non-binding referendum may serve to establish, once and for all, the will of the voters of the region. Yet at the same time there is the difficulty of the vote itself, how can one establish a fair vote without intimidation. Then in a broader sense, there is the perspective of a region demanding to secede after a 500 year history of being united.
A truly complex situation.

Fernando, as for Florida, if we don't learn how to run our elections, we won't have to secede, the other 49 states will just vote us out of the union and give each citizen a years supply of Paxil for being too dumb to vote properly! laugh

#62751 - 10/02/02 06:41 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

That was really funny Booklady! laugh

#62752 - 10/02/02 10:24 PM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Booklady,

I for one don't blame the people of Florida for the fiasco in the elections. It was that left wing pinko group (all are Marxist/Republicans) that decided it was a question of chads.

Hell! We hadn't even really heard about chads until then. Who made that name up anyway? It sounds like a small fish that's been left out of the water too long and is beginning to stink. Hey! That's it! The whole thing in Florida stunk! I get it! rolleyes

I can picture a close vote in Pais Vasco. The issue decided by chads, and which side could blow up more polling booths before people arrived to vote, in "enemy territory." eek

Wolf (Who doesn't think that everyone who wears pink is a pinko. rolleyes )

#62753 - 10/02/02 11:26 PM Re: Batasuna
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Wolf,
I was referring to our most recent debacle at the polls on September 4, not the previous Chads from Hell disaster! laugh laugh Our license plates will soon be changed from the Sunshine State to reflect our new name : the Recount State!

Getting back to our thread's topic, I hope that Pais Vasco will not encounter this type of voting ordeal,when they hold any type of election. It's embarrassing frown eek rolleyes !

#62754 - 10/02/02 11:39 PM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Booklady,

So it goes in the world of Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, and that pesky Mouse, Mickey. I didn't want to bring up their latest problems. The State Supreme Court is still wading through the fiasco of 2000. rolleyes

Wolf (Who will vote in-absentia as an Illinois resident if he moves to Florida. laugh )

#62755 - 10/03/02 06:21 AM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

If a referendum were to take place, it should not just require a simple majority. It hardly seems just that such a profund decision could be undertaken with 50%+1 result. The level of terror from ETA thugs could easily manipulate the tally. Think how difficult it is to amend the US Constitution, if it were an easy task we would be amending our Constitution every day. In order to assure that the result was something more than just a whim, Spain should at least require 2/3 approval. Can you imagine a situation where there is an even division between the pro and con voters, we could see a scene in Bilbao like in Dade County, Florida. But instead of lawyers arguing, we could see election officials being killed by ETA.

#62756 - 10/03/02 06:49 AM Re: Batasuna
Miguelito Offline

I ask myself if the Basque government would let one of his three provinces to separate being an independent comunity or if even a province would leave a group of towns or villages to separate or to join another different province. There are a lot of places that would like to be independent, and not always the frontiers are so clear. For example, Alava is not as basque, as it's closer to Castilla they had more relation and has more influences. Some parents send their children to study to Burgos, so they don't have to study euskera, ....
Another example, the Aran valley in Catalonia has a different dialect of catalan, it has been a very isolated region so it has developed some cultural diferences. It's a very rich region because of the ski and the tourism so they would like to be independent, some kind of Andorra, well, there's not such a strong feeling of nacionalism, but there's the idea. Of course it's because of economic interests.
I don't have a clear opinion, I think the best solution would be a final autonomy inside of one only country or a kind of federalism. We have the example in the history of Spain of the Taifas kingdoms, during the musulman ocupation, these kingdoms weren't united and they were easily conquered by the christians...

#62757 - 10/03/02 10:36 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Right,
Questions:
-They would be "taking with them" Navarra too, right? after all, they believe to be the same people AND race, (yes, Mr. Arzallus talks about them being a different race with their own blood type, etc....)
-What about the FRENCH Pais Vasco? Does France also have to go through the process of "liberating" itself from them?
-Would they be a pathetic (sorry about that!), independent piece of land surrounded everywhere by EU territory, OR would they want to have all the advantages of being part of the union: same currency, free trade, no borders, etc....
-If the extorsion and kidnappings really ceased, how would certain etarras make a living from then on?
-Would they still call us, the rest of Spanish people, 'txacurras' (=perros=dogs), or just something like....annoying neighbors :p ; in other words....would everything be rosy and in blissful harmony....?
Uuuuff! I have so many of these rolleyes !

#62758 - 10/03/02 01:07 PM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

PIM,

The objective is to find a way to stop the violence coming out of Basque Country. You don't end it by having a press and government that basically says Basques are the enemy. There's more than enough hate on both sides to fuel a war.

The things that are being said in the Spanish press, and by government officials, maligns all Basques, not just ETA and Batasuna. If a person doesn't step forward and stand beside the government of Spain they are automatically classified as "an enemy of the state." I'm afraid I've heard that tune before and it don't play in a democracy, when there's millions of people directly and indirectly involved in the Basque movement.

Now, you all may think that outlawing Batasuna was a good move, but you're going to find out, as time goes on, that all that's been done is create a bigger monster. So, I wouldn't get too comfortable in the fact that the Spanish government did the right thing. When you cut off lines of communications with a people, you end up with another Bosnia and Serbia. I'm afraid that may very well be where this is heading. The problems have just begun, and when people look back at it, they had better face the truth, not some idealistic impression they had, based on propaganda.

To be honest, the whole issue developing concerns me as much, if not more, than the issue of terrorism in the U.S. At least the terrorism we suffer from is external. Your problems, in Spain, are internal, and that is even harder to deal with, because you have no way of knowing who the enemy really is.

Wolf

#62759 - 10/03/02 01:22 PM Re: Batasuna
Zzeus11 Offline

I think Basque Country is blackmailing with violence.

As long as they search independence by killing others, they do not deserve it.

Bombing people to bits and pieces on the streets of Madrid , or any other town, village etc, is pure anarchy, and it has to stop.

Only then can negotiations start, basques have issues, but whether they warrant independence is totally a different question, and has nothing to do with basques left leaning ideologies.

#62760 - 10/03/02 03:50 PM Re: Batasuna
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Wolf,
Your last post definitely puts the context of the Basque dilemma in focus for me. I have been trying to understand the Basque situation. As I previously said to Pim, the perspectives,and its complexity are indeed overwhelming. However, as one examines the broader issues, I begin to see why you believe that the outlawing of the Batasuna movement was, in retrospect a mistake. As we are seeing now. There will be a tendency, even among the moderate Basques to, "circle the wagons." This will lead to greater violence and disharmony. In a sense the Spanish government has unwittingly coalesced the moderates to think in terms of secesion. Truly tragic set of circumstances.

In regards to the demonization of the entire Basque community by government and press, this too will lead to an eventual severing of any type of positive relationships in the future, history has proven that.

My heart goes out to the people of Spain who have been victimized by ETA, and especially to the people of Pais Vasco, who will end up paying for the excesses of ETA, particularly if your predictions prove correct.

#62761 - 10/03/02 04:25 PM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Okay, everyone firmly grasp your can openers...got your can of worms? And TWIST! eek

You mention Arzalluz's comment that Basques are a different race...pure-blooded Basques are definitely not of the same stock as say, Castellanos. What's the issue with that statement? confused Is he some sort of nationalistic xenophobe for stating the obvious? No creo... confused

If you lined up twenty Basques and twenty castellanos in a row, mixed in, I could easily tell you, with about 98% certainty, which were the 20 Basques. Again, they are a separate group, they just happen to be under Spanish and French political control as we debate this today.

Don't misread me. I've not said that ETA is right and that killing for any reason is okay.

#62762 - 10/03/02 05:02 PM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

"Zeus", that's what ETA is, among other things, "Blackmailers Inc." (i.e.: "Get every jailed Basque person close to the Basque land within 48hrs. or we'll kill Miguel Angel Blanco")

Wolf,

The Spanish press does not malign anybody but the mob responsible of making this country sometimes feel like the worst nightmarish place. Now, one can read between the lines (what's not there) all one wants. Preconceptions are free.
How often do you hear or have direct access to what the Spanish authorities have to say on this matter?
THE KIND OF ANTI-SPANISH GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA YOU SEEM TO BE GETTING OVER THERE IS REALLY DISHEARTENING.
I believe the "with or against me" line is being expressed by ANOTHER president these days.
ETA AND HB ALSO love saying: "either you do/vote/say/pay....this or else...." and we know what threats made by, or on behalf of, assassins mean, no?
Wolf, the thing is, Spaniards could never be idealistic about this subject even if we wanted to. "This" has not just started, it's been going on for over 40 years.
So allow many of us to feel that at least, finally someone dares doing SOMETHING, taking some serious action dignifies our institutions.

Sometimes, reading here certain opinions coming from US citizens sounds a little ironic; In Spain there are a couple of HB folks who get to be members of Parliament (not anymore though!), in the US, these same two persons could maybe be on deathrow, because they have been involved in committing murders.

Here most people are aware of what the ETA members are, they are human beings just like everyone else that have been terribly and tragically brainwashed since they were kids. I say this because I'm watching Mr. Bush in the news as I write and he keeps referring to "evil" as if certain entire nations were nothing but evil entities (surely there must be some "good guys" thrown in as well!)

And finally, if our constitution gets amended so that the secession of the Pais Vasco referendum can take place, I'd demand that it is changed also so that better anti-child abuse, domestic violence,....regulations can be implimented.

Cali, I'm not even going to get into the race issue, it's way too much.

Paloma I. Martin ARRONDO (I guess I'm mixed raced)

#62763 - 10/03/02 07:09 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

It's really very simple everybody.
Carrot and stick.
Buy off the Basque elite, create some government pork barrel jobs, and then crack down heavy on everybody who assists Basque seperatism activities; from pay offs to local Basque thugs, to "political" activites, to stopping trade of "those" regions and or people who don't comply.

The Basques are more Spanish than most of the French, the Portugese, and for sure the rest of the Europeans.

Basque seperatism is merely a little left over vomit from the Franco era.

p.s. words to the Spanish National Anthem wouldn't hurt either. wink

#62764 - 10/03/02 07:47 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Wolf: It is always easier to think that the barbarism has a rational explanation, an ulterior reason of being, right?

Some of my friends, after 9/11, told me that the terrorist attacks were a natural consequence of the international politics of the USA. You know what I answered them? ¡Malnacidos! How can anyone dare to think that there is a reason for such a crime? NEVER.

I now find here the same kind of logical arguing. The terrorism of ETA is the consequence of the national politics of Spain.

Yes, it is easier to think that (is the first answer anyone naturally thinks when such atrocities are committed), but it is not the truth. The truth is that there is no reason for it. Why would a normal man think he can impose his ideas to anyone by the force of arms? I don't know.

There is also something more some of you have said that annoys me: The proposal of independence is consequence of the outlawing of Batasuna. False!

1º) The main nationalist parties (excluding Batasuna) signed an agreement in the Estella village 5 years ago to pursue this same scenary, with or without the violence of ETA.

2º) The Ley de Partidos (Political Parties Law) was started to being discussed a year and a half ago, when the european authorities answered the spanish government they couldn't include Batasuna in the list of terrorist bands if it was a legal political party in Spain. A law was written and aproved by the Parlament. This law was not a direct outlawing of Batasuna. It just stated some principles any party should follow (as not having condemned terrorists in the party, not making homages to terrorist dead members, etc). Batasuna did the rest by breaking the law.

This two issues have a coincidence in time, but not in origin.

Finally some pearls of basque nationalist leaders:

"The people coming south from Alava are rats"

"I prefer a black who speaks euskera than a white who doesn't speak it" (Javier Arzallus, PNV president)

"We don't support the PNV proposal. We are not going anywhere without any territory where basques live [in reference to Navarra and french basque territories]." (Arnaldo Otegui, Batasuna president)

In this country [=The Basque Country], during fourty years, there was a tremendous inmigration... Ok, they seeked a job. But they diluted the evil done by Franco, because if not for them, we could have done an autodetermination [=Independence] referendum and wining it for sure." (Javier Arzallus)

"ETA is a ulcer which bleeds from time to time, but which won't kill us" (Javier Arzallus)

"...the kids of the gasoline [=those street terrorists who have burnt alive policemen with molotov cocktails]" (Javier Arzallus)

"We have a lot of inmigrants who reached here during the Franco regime. Then a question is made: Is german a turkish who have lived various decades in Germany? He wants to be german? Not everyone who lives with us wants to be basque." (Javier Arzallus)

The basque nationalism (please don't identify it with the basques, it only represents a portion of them) is racist, intolerant and xenophobic.

Fernando

#62765 - 10/03/02 07:59 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

I couldn't have said it better Fernando Maestro! laugh

#62766 - 10/04/02 01:09 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Absolutely.

#62767 - 10/04/02 08:25 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Summation:

Toddy: Carrot and stick. Treat the Basques like they were little children. Punish them, then hand them a piece of candy for being good little girls and boys, by doing exactly what the Madrid government tells them to do. Talk about ways to stop violence, not create more terrorism. Any Basque who thinks the carrot & stick is being used would make you eat the stick and shove the carrot --- 'nuff said.

Supporters of outlawing Batasuna: Cut off all avenues of negotiations with the Basques. Deny them the right to protest in the political forum, by outlawing their most vocal advocates because they failed to follow Madrid's specific orders. Then tell the moderate advocates they are next, if they don't do what they are told by the federal government. Tell them, "Behave or else!"

What's wrong with that picture? How does the bloodshed end if you can't talk? How do you call yourself a democracy when you are free to do and say what you want, as long as it isn't against the government holding office?

This "hard-line approach" isn't directed at ETA, it's directed at all Basques. It can't be hidden behind a smoke screen that says it's only against ETA and Batasuna. Too many anti-Basque sentiments crop up in what's said.

I find it hard to believe anyone with a shred of common sense would figure that the present situation will lend itself to eliminating ETA, eliminate the bombings, or get the people of Basque Country to buy into anything that comes out of Madrid.

Brain-washed since childhood indeed. Make the whole thing sound exactly like al-Qaeda and the world will buy the rhetoric. If talking idealism, patriotism, and fundamental human rights at a kitchen table is brain-washing, almost everyone is guilty of doing it. Even teachers.

All you have to do is twist the wording to your own choosing, then apply it. Pick out something heinous to compare with even though there's no real comparison there. Why not? It worked for the Nazis, didn't it?

See? I just did it myself. Compare the tactics of the government to something horrible, and people take notice. There's no real comparison between the Spanish government and the Nazis. None. Yet, by saying it, we are shocked. It's like saying that ETA and anyone who is for Basque self-determination is a Marxist/Leninist, and that the Madrid government is all Fascists. Neither case is really true.

When all else fails, throw "counter-charges" out. If there's no defense for a stance, say; "George Bush is an sob! Look at your own policy in regards to Iraq!"

Sorry gang! It has nothing to do with the Basque situation. Nada! Bringing it up tends to make a reasonable person think you've run out of arguments.

I have nothing more to say on the subject. I'm not an ETA supporter, and I believe what they are doing is wrong. But I'm also not a supporter of the measures taken against the Basques, in the name of some unknown justice, to fight terrorism. All I really see is that the Basques are being held hostage by both sides. Guess which cause they'll join when push comes to shove?

Wolf

#62768 - 10/04/02 09:14 AM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Fernando your last post was a master piece! I hope more people come to understand the race based propoganda of PNV. I believe the more PNV opens it bigoted mouth, the more they resemble "those kids with the gasoline". Where else in the world have we heard radical politicians defend their right to statehood based on ethinic myths? Serbia and nazi-Germany come to mind.

Thanks Fernando for your well researched posts!

#62769 - 10/04/02 10:47 AM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Well thought out and well written, Fernando!

#62770 - 10/04/02 09:22 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
Toddy: Carrot and stick. Treat the Basques like they were little children. Punish them, then hand them a piece of candy for being good little girls and boys, by doing exactly what the Madrid government tells them to do. Talk about ways to stop violence, not create more terrorism. Any Basque who thinks the carrot & stick is being used would make you eat the stick and shove the carrot --- 'nuff said.

Supporters of outlawing Batasuna: Cut off all avenues of negotiations with the Basques. Deny them the right to protest in the political forum, by outlawing their most vocal advocates because they failed to follow Madrid's specific orders. Then tell the moderate advocates they are next, if they don't do what they are told by the federal government. Tell them, "Behave or else!"

What's wrong with that picture? How does the bloodshed end if you can't talk? How do you call yourself a democracy when you are free to do and say what you want, as long as it isn't against the government holding office?

This "hard-line approach" isn't directed at ETA, it's directed at all Basques. It can't be hidden behind a smoke screen that says it's only against ETA and Batasuna. Too many anti-Basque sentiments crop up in what's said.

I find it hard to believe anyone with a shred of common sense would figure that the present situation will lend itself to eliminating ETA, eliminate the bombings, or get the people of Basque Country to buy into anything that comes out of Madrid.

Brain-washed since childhood indeed. Make the whole thing sound exactly like al-Qaeda and the world will buy the rhetoric. If talking idealism, patriotism, and fundamental human rights at a kitchen table is brain-washing, almost everyone is guilty of doing it. Even teachers.

All you have to do is twist the wording to your own choosing, then apply it. Pick out something heinous to compare with even though there's no real comparison there. Why not? It worked for the Nazis, didn't it?

Wolf, come back to political reality. I do not know of any war that did not involve propoganda. Please, Wolf, the first step in a war is to demonize the enemy.
The bloodshed ends, just like with Iraq, when the enemy loses the war.
Simply put, but by utilizing ALL the aspects of war, from propganda, to pay-offs, you can STOP Basque nationalistic terrorism.
Come on Wolf, you are a student of Real World History, no.

It's overtime everbody. Spanish gente of ALL the regions of Spain, start with challenging the Basques in the media and every other avenue to protest parade the violence of the Basques.
Step one.......... wink

#62771 - 10/04/02 09:42 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Not the basques toddy wink The violent and antidemocratic basques. There are hundreds of thousands basques who don't share natioalist ideology (see for example the website of Unidad Alavesa , a basque political party).

Fernando

#62772 - 10/05/02 12:59 AM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

PIM: Why don't you come on over to our next family reunion, and I'll show you who the full-blooded Basques are. Sure there are those who, as you put it, are "mixed". I wasn't referring to that, as I'm sure our amigo Arzalluz in the PNV wasn't either.

I'm simply stating that, completely outside of any xenophobic or nationalistic thought of the PNV, those individuals who are 100% Basque by heritage have a few distinguishing characteristics that set them apart not just from Castellanos and Franks but from the rest of the world at large.

Anyone who doesn't notice this is most likely visually impaired or the propaganda minister for the PP.

CaliBasco [Who is counting the hours before this thread is not only closed but when this particular topic is no longer allowed to be discussed on this board...and who also thinks it too bad that this is the press that Basques get, that the current closed-mindedness of the PP will never allow for any dialogue between the ruling party and extreme Basque nationalists, and that I'm not living in Euskadi right now chomping on a txistorra and txilindrón! mad ]

#62773 - 10/05/02 05:04 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Toddy,

It's interesting that the first thing you relate to is a "war against the Basques." It's exactly what I was pointing out. Since you've obviously read the press on the issues, and listened to Fernando, you formulated your opinion based on everything you've heard, and decided the "Spanish government is at war against the Basques." Since you're married to a Spanish lady (correct me if I'm wrong on this.) you're also effected by her beliefs.

This "kill them all and let God sort them out" mindset is what inflames the situation. When people take things out of text, it makes matters worse. Since the press, and public opinion in Spain, is one-sided, the Basques always end up the fall guy.

I agree with CaliBasco. This thread is going nowhere. It can't. Cut it off MadridMan.

Wolf

#62774 - 10/05/02 07:35 AM Re: Batasuna
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!
I didn't want to enter much in this topic because unfortunately my English isn't good enough to clearly express my thought on this problem to someone who can read them and knows nothing about ETA or Batasuna. In addition to this, I totally agree with Fernando and Pim's ideas, as 95% of the Spanish population does.
Shawn, smile I'm happy to see how 10 months of inmersion in the Spanish reality, talking to real people who are everyday bearing this problem are more convincing than all the ETA international propaganda (I have to admit they have an esplendid propaganda network outside of Spain that justifies their acts, inside Spain they can't fool anyone).

Wolf, the only one who is saying we equal all Basques to terrorists is you. It'd be like saying all muslims are Al Qaeda members, and we know that isn't true. Funny to see how those people who talk about horrible DAILY Spanish media live outside of Spain confused

Calibasco, are you implying 100% breed Basques can be distinguish from any other European? Did they come from outter space? I know Aranas and Bengoecheas you couldn't tell if they were basques or not, the same way yoy can see how many ETA members are called López, García and Martínez.

#62775 - 10/05/02 08:18 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Natalia,

Clap, clap, clap,....!
I totally agree, this thread is showing the incredible level of misinformation that people outside this country get about the whole ETA situation!, and Shawn's experience is a great example.

I confess that this week I've been very close to deciding to forget about Madridman's message board for good, since when reading certain careless opinions that border absurdity, about an issue so painful for every Spaniard as this, I've gotten a horrible feeling of brokenheartedness(does that word even exist¿? rolleyes ). You can't imagine what it feels like to realize the misconception that foreign Spain-lovers (imagine if they weren't! eek ) have on such an awful topic.
Luckily, in a way, I have many American friends living here and that keep explaining to me that the problem with foreigners' wrong ideas is clearly that they only have access to propagandistic non-sense.

And....if I were to quit Madridman, I wouldn't know so many great people like the ones I went out partying last night laugh , OR, the ones I'll surely meet tonight wink !
(So I guess is worth it to just go on and TRY to ignore this topic from now on)

#62776 - 10/05/02 09:00 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Natalia and Paloma, I fully agree with you. It is interesting to see how the ETA propaganda works, no matter that they have constantly menaced dozens of their own basque journalists (Carmen Gurruchaga, Isabel San Sebastián, Iñaki Gabilondo,...) and they have tried to killed them various times. They have managed to convince international press how romantic the ETA fight is, and we still have to see how they call ETA as a basque separatist group.

And it is also interesting how people prefer to believe this propaganda than the things said by a democratic government, which they consider as a fascist one who is trying to somekind exterminate the basques.

Until all these changes, I will continue to have mates as I had in the school, which were basques who had fleed from the forced imposition of euskera by the nationalist basque government, or people who just couldn't stand the lack of freedom to talk about politics.

I will continue to give support to my aunt and my cousins there so that they can stand it. Oh sorry... they aren't full blooded basques, so I guess they aren't basques at all... It should be one of those extrange cases in which basques and the rest of spaniards have merged during 3000 years of common history...

Fernando

#62777 - 10/05/02 10:29 AM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Natalia, Paloma and Fernando -

One more round of clap - clap - claps!!! What those of us not living in Spain need to realize is that a hefty percentage of what we know about the Basque vs. ETA vs. approval or non-approval of the PP comes from what we read, hear, and see in the media. And the media, as we all know, can be and is influenced by sources - no matter how much investigation goes into reporting it is damn near impossible to be 100% objective and impartial.

There were comments made about propoganda in the last few posts - what we need to realize is that there are varying levels of propoganda. The flat-out propoganda and a more subtle form that influences the media.

And, in the end, like Shawn - no-one really knows and understands a situation until they are living in it. I think all of us not in Spain owe a huge thank-you to those in Spain who are willing to take the time to share their thoughts and insights with us.

#62778 - 10/05/02 11:02 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Wendy: Heartfully thanks. smile

#62779 - 10/05/02 11:34 AM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

The worst thing we could do is to STOP talking about this difficult issue.

Speaking of foreigners not understanding the Basque issue and bowing to "Spanish propoganda",
Wasn't it in the great UNITED STATES in the great state of Idaho that they wanted to pass a PRO Basque nationalistic measure. Hmmmmm......it's true SOME foreigners DON'T understand at all this issue.

Terrorism and those that give support in any way to it are ONE IN THE SAME!

#62780 - 10/05/02 11:43 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Closing this topic would be a great error in my opinion. Spain has good and bad things (this being the worst) and it is not a rainbow paradise :p It is a controversial issue yes, but those who don't want to read the thread or don't want to participate can just ignore it... (as far as MadridMan doesn't decide he doesn't want this in HIS forum of course).

So toddy, I fully agree with you wink

#62781 - 10/05/02 12:20 PM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

It was in Idaho that they passed a pro-basque country measure.

Some people are saying that foreigners are falling victim to mis-information. I am sure that I can find more than a few people from the basque country that would say that people in the rest of Spain are falling victim to mis-information put out by the media in Spain.

Whatever information people hear, I hope that people everywhere have tolerance and mercy for all, even for those that do not have tolerance or mercy.

The only thing that one could learn from all of this is that one should be VERY VERY careful when talking about politics in Spain. This thread isn´t clarifying anything, it seems like just a rehash of what has been said before. I too think that the thread should be closed.

#62782 - 10/05/02 04:11 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

A rehash of what? It seems there are new deaths almost every month. The memories of these NEW victims frown deserve, at least, a place for alive people to peacfully discuss these difficult issues.

I think it would be in terribly bad taste to the MAJORITY of Spaniards to close such an important topic as this.

Most Spaniards love Spain but HATE ETA. mad

#62783 - 10/05/02 06:02 PM Re: Batasuna
Roe Offline

The posts aren´t specific to the victims but focus more on Spanish policies and ETA. We have been over this before .

#62784 - 10/05/02 07:05 PM Re: Batasuna
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Roe wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that one could learn from all of this is that one should be VERY VERY careful when talking about politics in Spain.
Well said, Roe. For this reason, I NEVER talk politics in Spain. Well, in general, I don't talk about politics anywhere.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62785 - 10/05/02 09:24 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
. We have been over this before.
From my recollection, we(which includes quite a few new members) have not all been over this before. confused

Roe, what are you afraid of? Peacfully debating is vital in regards to this issue. We can't put our heads in the sand anymore.

#62786 - 10/06/02 05:55 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Roe,
You don't have to be at all careful when talking freely about politics, or ETA in the majority of the Spanish territory (even the government AND its 'oposición' party agree on ETA/HB!!!), of course, you can't do it in the Pais Vasco!!!

#62787 - 10/06/02 08:43 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Roe,

I agree with your statement! Totally!

Wolf

#62788 - 10/06/02 12:09 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Interesting...

I have friends of almost every political party in Spain: pro-government, socialists, communists, basque and catalonian nationalists, and even extreme-right. I have discussed with them about politics long and loud, at home and in the streets. And though sometimes we didn't agree and others the topic was hot, I have never been in a situation in which I thought it was better to just remain quiet and doesn't talk about politics.

But of course I don't live in the Basque Country, when stating your political point of view may cost you having your head's blown off...

Curiously my basque nationalist friend told me he didn't talk about politics at home, but in Madrid he had not problems at all.

Fernando

#62789 - 10/06/02 06:52 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

I have to say an urban American expression Fernando: "You go Fernando" This means I TOTALLY agree with you and you should continue debating any and all issues. The world hides too many difficult issues frown

Fernando, keep on debating! laugh

#62790 - 10/23/02 09:13 AM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
Catalonia echoes Basque call for autonomy

Giles Tremlett in Madrid
Wednesday October 23, 2002
The Guardian

Spain entered a new and potentially critical phase of tension yesterday as Catalonia added its voice to demands from the Basque country for a fresh round of regional referendums over greater autonomy from Madrid.
The demands made in a historic speech by the new leader of Catalonia's ruling nationalists, Artur Mas, added pressure for an extensive rewrite of the rules that have governed Spain since the transition to democracy 25 years ago.

Mr Mas, who succeeds the Catalan regional premier Jordi Pujol as head of the nationalist Convergence and Union coalition, echoed demands from the Basque regional premier, Juan Jose Ibarretxe, when he called for "shared sovereignty" in Catalonia.

His proposals, which will form the backbone of the coalition's manifesto in regional polls next year, were a departure for the dominant party in Catalonia, going far beyond the sort of devolution experienced by Scotland and Wales.

Mr Mas called for a "single administration" in a Catalonia controlled by a regional government that would send its own representatives to the EU and other international bodies and would have the final word on the region's public finances.

Catalonia would also have to be formally recognised by the rest of Spain as "a nation", he said.

The demands were immediately criticised by the centre-right People's party government of prime minister Jose Maria Aznar.

"This is not a priority for Catalonia or for any other part of Spain," the deputy prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, said yesterday.

Mr Aznar's government, which has mounted a vigorous campaign against the Basque proposals for a referendum on self-determination, has suddenly found itself forced to fight on several fronts to maintain its centrist vision of Spain.

Mr Ibarretxe, meanwhile, held a long meeting with Arnaldo Otegi, head of the radical Basque separatist party Batasuna, a political ally of the armed separatist group Eta.

Although Batasuna has had its offices closed and bank accounts frozen while it is investigated for alleged collaboration with Eta - and while Mr Aznar's government prepares a separate court prosecution designed to ban it definitively - Mr Ibarretxe spent three hours discussing his controversial plan with Mr Otegi. These were deemed insufficient by Mr Otegi - once called "the Basque Gerry Adams".

"They are not enough to resolve the conflict," he said after the meeting.

Mr Ibarretxe has said that he would not call a referendum on the future of the Basque country unless Eta first gave up a 30-year campaign of violence - which has claimed 800 lives. Opponents call his proposals anti-constitutional.

Mr Mas' proposals were not quite as radical as those of Mr Ibarretxe and his non-violent Basque Nationalist party.

He called on the People's party and the opposition Socialists to negotiate with him a new statute that would replace the one which gave Catalonia semi-autonomy in 1979.

He held out the promise that, if Catalonia was given far greater autonomy then Convergence would also take up an invitation from Mr Aznar to join his central Spanish government in Madrid. But he also warned that his party would make life difficult for Mr Aznar if he did not play ball.

Catalonia's regional government already controls vast swathes of public administration, including education, health, culture and much policing.

Convergence and Union has won every Catalan election since 1980, allowing Mr Pujol to run the region for the past 22 years.

But Mr Mas faces a difficult battle against Barcelona's former Socialist mayor, Pascual Maragall, in the next regional elections - the first in which Mr Pujol will not stand.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I LOVE Catalunya, but my hate for terrorism and those who support or encourage it is greater mad

#62791 - 10/23/02 03:56 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

People's Party? laugh Funny translation.

Let me say that the Mr. Mas proposal has nothing to do with the basque nationalist proposal (but he has chosen the turmoil to take a political advantage).

Catalonia has very very little to do with the Basque Country. There is not a terrorist band (though two decades ago there was one), the nationalists have chosen a democratic way to pursue independentism (ERC the main independentist party), greater autonomy (as CiU) or a federal state model (PSC). Nor there is a general intimidation campaign or any lack of freedom, though, under my point of view, the nationalism has committed other grave errors.

I really doubt that the catalonian's nationalism objective in this moment is to support PNV. They are governing Catalonia with the votes of PP, and they can loose the government anytime soon at the hands of PSC-PSOE. Besides, they are much more realistic, much more pragmatic and much more moderated than the PNV/EA.

Oh, and good news: The PNV plan is encountering almost a total lack of support between the own basques and basque institutions.

Just my opinion...

Fernando

#62792 - 10/23/02 07:38 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Quote:
There is not a terrorist band (though two decades ago there was one),
Didn't a Catalan terrorist group set a bomb a few years back? frown

#62793 - 10/23/02 09:28 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Mmmmm, as far as I remember no... do you refer to GRAPO? If so it is not a catalonian terrorist band, but a ultra-comunist one that has almost dissapeared.

Fernando

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ChavezJH, Leonita, Nadirah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1684 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments