Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#58642 - 12/02/00 10:41 PM MadridMan's birthday?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
MM, it's December, and you once mentioned in a thread about the Bar Brillante party that your birthday is in December. Which day is it? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to wish you a happy one! Please let us know so we can all send you our felicitaciones, and hope that you cumples muchos más!!

#58643 - 12/03/00 07:46 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Yes, MM, tell us when you birthday is. I think we should all send you birthday greetings with a 'voluntary membership' donation to the cause of running this board! You should post your address and let us send you and the board a birthday present!

#58644 - 12/03/00 11:31 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You're all TOO kind!!! Okay, first, let me BEG you to NOT send those online/internet postcards/greeting cards where you go to a website, enter someone's email address, and that person gets an email that reads "Click here to get your greeting card!" MANY MANY of the websites that offer this service are collection grounds for email addresses to be used for SPAM purposes. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't enter MadridMan's email address on any website for any reason. I hope you understand. We all get enough SPAM as it is and trying to sift through the SPAM to get to the real MadridMan.com website-related emails can get trying. Thanks so much.

So. With all that said/begged, MadridMan's birthday is December 5th (yes, on Tuesday) so it's a little late for gifts. Your well wishes are quite enough, thank you. It's the thought that counts. Thanks, but I'd be happier if you kept your hard-earned money for your Spain-trip savings jar. That'll make me even happier. But hey, if you have some old Spain "recuerdos" (souvenirs) that are gathering dust and you think I'd like (or could use) them feel free to send them along. Also, those old, ugly, crinkled and dried out thousand dollar bills which have gone through the washer/drying are welcome too. I just hate those things. hehehee..

You can find my P.O. Box address towards the bottom of the " MadridMan's Videos " page. Free-to-make computer printed cards are always well received in my post office box too. You're all very kind. NOW I have to change my About MadridMan page to reflect my 35 year age! ugh! hehehe.. Oh well. I've done a lot in life. Clearly, you can see from my Live Cam and daily online journals from past trips that I spend almost all my money (what little I make, that is) on trips to Spain. And thank goodness for frequent flyer miles (2 trips to Spain free so far!).

Thank you one and all. Your well wishes in this thread and patronage on MadridMan's Spain Message Board are enough for me. This is what makes me happy. Thank you.

Sensitively yours, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58645 - 12/03/00 05:02 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey. Mine is the 6th! Happy birthday my fellow sagitarian (not that I actually believe that stuff)

hope you celebrate in style!!

#58646 - 12/03/00 06:37 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Happy Birthday Madridman for the 5th.

And to you as well Nicole. Us Sagitarians have to keep together even though we are on opposite sides of the World. Mine is on the 7th December.

And Madridman, don't despair over being 35 years old. Next Thursday I turn 55 years "YOUNG", and still enjoy most of the things that I did when I was in my 20's. It's all in the way you view your life and yourself.

David

#58647 - 12/04/00 12:09 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Thanks David. I needed that reminder. I haven't been feeling too great about my birthday.

MadridMan, you should see my apartment and wardrobe (never mind my car). Pretty sad. My wanderlust always takes precedence over material objects and makes me MUCH happier in the long run... although, I do really dig my computer (despite the fact that it cost the equivalent of a trip and a half to mi querida Espana).

#58648 - 12/04/00 11:36 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MadridMan, Nicole & DavidB - a very happy birthday to all of you - and may this coming year in your lives bring you all nearer to your dreams and to Spain!

#58649 - 12/04/00 12:11 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Happy Birthday to all born in December. I, too will celebrate my 50 b-day on Dec. 10. My present to myself is a trip to Spain this December. Can you imagine I will go clubbing with my 20-year old daughter on New Year's eve in Madrid? Never expected in my wild dreams that I will be visiting Spain!

#58650 - 12/04/00 12:50 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Puna!

Mclarke. you are so cute!! You and your daughter are going to have a wonderful time together. What a great present to yourself. I have established a "Spain Fund" for myself. Next fall - I will be basking in the andalucian sun!

I think my MOm was 50 or 51 when she came over to Spain for my Spring Break. Everyone else went on a school-sponsored trip to Morocco. I would have LOVED to go too, but I am so glad I had that time with my Mom. We had such great time together, and I get all choked up when I think about it. She was such a great sport!

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-04-2000).]

#58651 - 12/04/00 08:53 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
DavidB Offline

Thanks every-one for the Birthday wishes and for every-one out there who are fellow Sagitarrians - Happy Birthday.

My dreams are to get back to Spain again, and I know that they will come true, but unfortunately not until 2002. BUT they will come true. My love affair with Spain happened by accident, as I never had any desire to travel to Spain until a very good friend of mine met a Spanish Lady (from Madrid) here in Australia. Followed her back to Spain, proposed and eventually married her. It was because of the Wedding that my wife and I went to Spain on our last trip to Europe and fell in love with the Country.

Spain is like an old favourite coat. You are comfortable with it and don't ever want to give it up. I suppose it's also that I felt like I was back home in Australia but surrounded by strange sights and environment.

Any-way, as right now it's the 5th December here in Australia - Happy Birthday to you Madridman, and keep up the good work with this site.

David

#58652 - 12/04/00 10:02 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Happy birthday to all of you December birthdays in a row! MM, I guess 700 registered members is a pretty good present huh? Thanks for all your efforts!

#58653 - 12/05/00 12:47 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Joy Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Happy birthday to all December birthdays! Mine is December 29 and I am leaving for (my first trip to) Madrid on that day! Not a bad way to spend it!

#58654 - 12/05/00 07:59 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Happy birthday, MadridMan! And many happy returns! With 700 registered members, we could probably celebrate a birthday every day! Thanks again for making this forum possible. And feliz cumpleanos to all the rest of the December birthdays as well!

#58655 - 12/05/00 11:02 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
connie Offline

Happy birthday MadridMan, and one more thanks for creating this wonderful board.

#58656 - 12/05/00 11:38 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Happy Birthday MadridMan!!!

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 12-05-2000).]

#58657 - 12/05/00 12:29 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Celia U Offline

Loc: Madrid
Feliz cumpleaños MadridMan and everysagitarianbody!!! Have a great day!!

Celia

------------------
Airport shuttle, limousine service and car rental.
http://www.aerocity.com

#58658 - 12/05/00 01:17 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Birthday greetings from Malaga, MadridMan! Have a great time!

#58659 - 12/05/00 03:57 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
a very happy birthday to you madridman!!! =) we all thank you for what you've given us here. lucky to have you!! have yourself a wonderful day.

#58660 - 12/05/00 04:00 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
and another Happy Birthday!!!! Hope its a wonderful day ..., and that someone gives you an airline ticket to your favorite city as a birthday gift!

#58661 - 12/05/00 07:14 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thank you one and all for the warm well-wishes during my birthday. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I really appreciate it. My day has gone very well: everyone wished me a happy birthday, my ladyfriend called at about 9am to do the same, my boss (he's Greek and like a best friend) took me to a semi-expensive restaurant for lunch, and now I'm about to leave for dinner at a new, local, authentic Mexican place. Should be good.

Happiest of birthdays to Nicole (tomorrow!), DavidB (Thursday!), mclarke (Sunday!), Joy (29th), and anyone else out there who hasn't spoken up.

You know, Puna, you may just be right! Went to the P.O. Box after work today and there was a registered letter for me to pick up at the counter. The post office was already closed (@ 5:30pm) so it'll have to wait until Saturday. Maybe that's it! A FREE FIRST CLASS, OPEN ENDED round trip ticket to Madrid!! WOW!!! Hahahahaha!!! I'll dream of that one now. hehehe..

With warm wishes and many thanks to one an all, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58662 - 12/05/00 07:31 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Feliz Cumpleaños

Madridman, here's to many more years and many more years in Spain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#58663 - 12/05/00 07:33 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
FELICIDADES Madridman!!!!!!
I hope you had an ablsolutely wonderful day!
and...
Happy Birthday to all you Sagitarians!@! I wish you all the best!

#58664 - 12/05/00 07:43 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Feliz Cumpleanyos MM. you have given us a much bigger gift than we could ever give you!

Thanks for the b-day wishes for we Sagitarians too! I love this board

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-05-2000).]

#58665 - 12/05/00 10:29 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
DavidB Offline

Madridman

Thanks for the Birthday wish. I can only hope that the letter at the Post Office is what you are hoping for.

My Spanish isn't good, in fact it's BAD. It's just the same as my French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese, just enough to get an Hotel, get Food and Beer/Wine, get a Rail/Bus ticket and ask directions. What did Nicole wish you - "Feliz Cumpleanyos ". I know that "Feliz" is "happy", but what does "Cumpleanyos" mean?

Hope that you can help!!!!

David

[This message has been edited by DavidB (edited 12-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DavidB (edited 12-05-2000).]

#58666 - 12/05/00 10:31 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Madrid Man,

Cumpleaños feliz,
cumpleaños feliz
te deseamos ..algo....hmm I don't remember how the rest of it goes, but anyway, it sounded like you had a great day! Muchos tirones de orejas y muchas felicidades And to everyone else who is celebrating a birthday this month, ¡¡Feliz cumpleaños!!

[This message has been edited by ilovemadrid (edited 12-05-2000).]

#58667 - 12/05/00 10:43 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
DavidB Offline

Thanks "Ilovemadrid".

You have actually answered my question (see above post) without realising it. Nicole didn't have "ñ" in "cumpleanos". I still didn't know the word and my online translator didn't know it either until the "ñ" was inserted.

Thanks for the help.

Yet another day has passed where I have learnt something new.

"it's a good day if you have learnt something new"

David

#58668 - 12/05/00 11:16 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

um.how do you insert the enye sound? I always put the "y" in to differentiate the word "year" from.. well you know (ano..).

#58669 - 12/06/00 12:21 AM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Nicole, there is a way for you to put accents on all the vowels...for the ñ, push "alt" then 1 6 4 , then release the "alt".
Also try:
á = alt 1 6 0
é = alt 1 3 0
í = alt 1 6 1
ó = alt 1 6 2
ú = alt 1 6 3
¿ = alt 1 6 8

remember to keep the 'alt' button key down when you press the number keys, then release.... hope this helps...

#58670 - 12/06/00 12:08 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Thanks laduque!! You are awesome!

#58671 - 12/06/00 03:44 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
for you Mac users out there, it's the option key (also says alt) and at the same time, press n, then release, then press n again. ñ see, it works!

#58672 - 12/06/00 04:13 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
connie Offline

For windows users, you can just change your settings (settings-control panel-keyboard-language) and add spanish to the lists of languages for the keyboard. I have the settings for both the English and the Spanish keyboard installed and change it according to the text I am writing. ñ is on the Spanish keyboard where ; is on the American keyboard. the accent is where [ is on the American keyboard: thus you have to press [a, [e etc. ¿ is = and ¡ is +
Feliz cumpleaños, Nicole.

#58673 - 12/06/00 04:22 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Gracias amorosa!

#58674 - 12/06/00 10:20 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
FWIW Madridman, your birthday is the same day that Prohibition ended in 1933. Two reasons to have a drink on Dec. 5!

#58675 - 12/07/00 04:56 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Don't forget these:

alt+173 = ¡
alt+144 = É
alt+165 = Ñ
alt+129 = ü

For Spanish quotes:
alt+174 = «
alt+175 = »

For writing in your piso number:
alt+167 = º (like "cuarto piso" or 4º piso)
For writing in the planta number:
alt+166 = ª (as in "tercera planta" or 3ª planta)

and for the catalanes:
alt+135 = ç

I've tried that keyboard switch thingy, but I guess I'm old-fashioned...

#58676 - 12/07/00 07:43 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'll brag in saying that I already knew how to do all of these characters. BUT, one that I haven't been able to find is the accented capital A as in "Angel". And don't forget the ª is also for the abbreviated name of María as Mª. Guys, did you happen to see my posting last month in the rec.travel.europe newsgroup where I posted all these same characters?? hehhehee...

Hope Nicole and DavidB had nice birthdays this week!

By the way, as a short follow-up, the new, little, local Mexican restaurant I went to for a late dinner on my birthday was great! Had the burrito & enchilada combination plate. WOW! I was in heaven. All SO authentic and ALL patrons (3 occupied tables) in the place were speaking Spanish!!! I finished it off with flan and coffee. Mmmm.. So gooood.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-07-2000).]

#58677 - 12/07/00 09:15 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
¡Gracias Connie! I did the keyboard switch and it is SO GREAT to not have to pull up that character map everytime that I do email! I have the accents all programmed into my Word program, but they don't carry over, of course, to other applications. Also it is more convenient that memorizing all of those number codes (also for those who use laptops and don't have the extra number keypad to the right).
Muchísimas gracias, you just made my life a whole lot easier.

#58678 - 12/11/00 08:23 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
ALL RIGHT MadridMan!! ANOTHER SAG!!! should have known... I'll bet most of 'us' are!!Yea, don't worry about that 30 something stuff!! Just be thankful you aren't one of those twenty something guys, who hasn't got it together yet!!You'll just keep on keepin' on >>>ONLY BETTER!!......Rev. MIke

#58679 - 12/11/00 08:24 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MunchiMike Offline

Oh yea, almost forgot,...Merry Chrisymas too!! Rev.

#58680 - 12/11/00 08:25 PM Re: MadridMan's birthday?
MunchiMike Offline

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! Rev.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments