Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#57862 - 09/29/00 08:52 PM countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Looks to me like MM's packing and getting ready! Here's some requests (OK, don't try to smuggle in real chorizo). Please WRITE TO US from your favorite cybercafes and let us know of your adventures! Find us some GREAT places to eat and remember the addresses this time (!!!). As opposed to the usual "turn right when you enter the plaza and...". I give directions like this, don't I!! Please tell us what the trends are in fashion (white socks and nikes?!?!), music, films. We wish you BUENISIMO VIAJE y que lo pases bien (even though you are going solo!). And happy bar brillante party!

#57863 - 09/30/00 03:27 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Speaking of directons to places...
My favorite typical direction given en español is "a la derecha, al final"!
Gotta love the detalles.

MM-
Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it.
J-

#57864 - 09/30/00 04:32 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
MM,

Have a great time! (I'm sure you will!) We'll be enthusiastically awaiting your journal entries, and look forward to hearing even more about your trip when you come back. As our representative, please give Antonio and all our other Madrid-based message board friends a big hello in person from all of us!

Hasta pronto!

And for the REST of you stuck in places FAR from Spain -

Since MM and pals will be getting together for a wonderful time at the Bar Brillante on Wednesday, Oct. 11, how about making some use of MM's chatroom and meeting there in cyberspace the same day? We can chat about the board, MM's journey, experiences we've had in our beloved Spain... I know the time is a problem, but if lots of people try at some time that day, we should encounter someone. I'll try to be there between 6 and 7 pm, EST.

Hasta luego!

#57865 - 10/01/00 03:44 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
replay Offline

Loc: Madrid
MadridMan will not be alone, his girlfriend Rosa and some "madrileños" are waiting for him, so we can be sure that Madridman will enjoy with the best Madrid´s trip he has ever made...

Good flight Madridmand and see you!!

#57866 - 10/01/00 08:39 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Your trip and the journal you keep on your site give me and the kiddies something to talk about!

You are probably at an airport right now preparing to head to Madrid.

Drop a few pesetas in the Bar Brillante slots for me...

Buen viaje, amigo.

#57867 - 10/01/00 08:46 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HEEEERE I GOOOOOOOO!!! Thanks for the well-wishes, folks. I do appreciate. I've probably been noticeably absent these past couple days - trip preparations as you can imagine. Be sure to check my Daily Online Jounal from time to time to see what I'm up to. I arrive in Madrid Monday morning at about 9am.

replay, unfortunately, this time around (can you believe it??) my ladyfriend will not be in Madrid, but rather here in the USA. I will, however, be staying with her family for part of the time and the other part in los hostales.

Hey replay!! I hope I'll see you at the " Party With MadridMan: Version 2 " on Wednesday October 11th at El Brillante!! Should be a lot of fun.

Good idea about the "get together" in MadridMan's Chat Room on the same day. Hope you have fun talking about everything I'm experiencing. I wish I could take you all with me...maybe someday, eh?

Jen, you can be sure that you'll get exact addresses from me....if they exist! rgf, have you seen my mess as I have been packing? WOW! Looked like a tornado came through here, but it's much better now. I'm packing an extra bag for goodies to bring back (coffee!!, clothes, recuerdos, etc. - but I'll have to skip the chorizo as there's only one place I can think to hide it where it wouldn't be immediately detected, but not sure it would be fit for consumption afterwards -- HEY!! I mean in my shoes!!!!).

Take care everyone. I'm already anxious to dart into a cybercafé while touring just to drop a line or two like Shawn did. That guy was GREAT!!!!

Saludos, MadridMan <-- see final image

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57868 - 10/01/00 05:54 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
replay Offline

Your girlfriend is not in Madrid!!
Oppss...you will miss her, and I thought that this is a good chance to meet her, let´s wait for another visit.

If you are reading this I suppose that you are in some Cybercafe of Madrid, I have free time in the next days:

Monday: wellcome Madridman!!
today I work from 9 to 13...no more
Tuesday:
Good day, the same free time (from 13 to night).
Wednesday:
I start my studies, so I haven´t free time
Thursday: idem
Friday: idem
Saturday: I am free!! like in Sunday (I think there is the "Fiesta de la Bicicleta"
Monday-Wednesday (Busy, but I will go to your party directly from my college), and I have "puente", so I have free days from 12 to 15th of October!!!!

16-17-18: BUSSYYY, but I would like to tell you "adios, te echaré de menos" before your departure to Columbus.

#57869 - 10/02/00 05:17 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
It 10am here in the UK, 11am in Spain - so I guess our intrepid hero should by now have made it to his first Hostal, assuming no problems on his flight. No posts yet though! Could something have gone wrong? The tension mounts!

#57870 - 10/02/00 09:27 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

I think MM was leaving the US on Oct 2, o sea, he should arrive in Madrid la madrugada del 3, no?

#57871 - 10/02/00 09:44 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
El Boqueron Offline

The mystery deepens! This is what he says in his diary (on this site).

[10/1] Woo Hoo!!! Leaving for Madrid in only a few short hours and I'm beside myself with excitement. SO MANY DETAILS!! Can you believe my connections? I leave Columbus, Ohio for Cincinnati, Ohio and then on to JFKennedy (New York City) and from there to Madrid, arriving at 9am tomorrow.

I take it "tomorrow" means 2nd of October, given the date of the entry. And the 9am is presumably local (Euro) time. On that theory he should be there. Perhaps he wrote it late at night, and "a few short hours" referred to some time the next day (ie. today!). I'm getting confused!

[This message has been edited by El Boqueron (edited 10-02-2000).]

#57872 - 10/02/00 09:54 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
El Boqueron Offline

... and in a post in this thread he says

"I arrive in Madrid Monday morning at about 9am."

So my guess is right now he's just finishing lunch (Madrid time 3:40pm)!

#57873 - 10/02/00 05:14 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
missmadrid98 Offline

i am just so jealous right now it's unbelievable!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#57874 - 10/03/00 09:15 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

HOLA!! I´m in a cybercafe ON the Puerta del Sol, but not by choice. The EasyEverything just north of here is closed for another hour so I´m paying high prices here.

Read my daily online journal at http://www.madridman.com/madrid00.html for my semi-daily updates. The account on my ladyfriend´s computer at home is missing it´s telephone number of access so I´m searching the web for it -- can´t fine it. This means I don´t yet have daily access.

Things are fine. Haven´t done anything yet. Now I´m going home for lunch. Just came here to FTP my daily online journal. Tomorrow begins it all!!!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

P.D. I seem to be full every minute of the day since I arrived yestereday morning. Even has churros for breakfast.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57875 - 10/03/00 10:09 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

MM, glad to hear from you!! We were all wondering if you'd arrived, what you were up to... yummm, churros. Que lo pases bien!

#57876 - 10/03/00 01:17 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jen Offline

Have a cafe con leche for all of us. Then, you better have una cervecita y una tapita for us too!
Have fun!

#57877 - 10/03/00 02:16 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
replay Offline

Madridman!!!, are you here???, call me when you want to do a walk, I´m waiting...

#57878 - 10/03/00 06:47 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I´m HERE!!! And, after setting-up/installing/figuring out what was wrong with the computer I finally got it working. AND, with a FREE internet access account from TeleLine InfoVía Plus, a Telefónica company. No floating advertisements or anything!

Anyway, it´s after midnight here now and I JUST got it working so I´m very very VERY happy not to have to rely on the cybercafés, but I don´t mind. It´s just not as convenient. So yes, things are great here (as you may have read already) and tomorrow begins the first big day.

replay, I´ll be calling you tomorrow (Wednesday). I know you´re busy from your schedule above, but will talk with you tomorrow. I´ll be calling lots of people here to make arrangements for events, meetings, and other stuff.

Tonight I had empanadas and tortilla de patatas. Mmm... And don´t forget the Mahou beer! Mmmmm... hehee.. Okay. Time for bed. I´m just starting to get readjusted to the time change. Thanks all for your greetings! Just uploaded the newest daily online journal!

Saludos, MadridMan (IN MADRID!)

#57879 - 10/03/00 07:13 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madridman,

Teleline free internet account gives you free internet access but NOT FREE LOCAL CALLS!!.

You won't have to pay for the access through the Teleline ISP but you do have to pay for the calls you make to a local number in Madrid. Note that it's a lot cheaper if you use it from 6pm to 8am (Saturdays and Sundays the whole day).

BTW, what happened at easyEverything cafe?. You said it was closed for a few hours. Did they have a big problem with their computers that they?.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#57880 - 10/03/00 07:54 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Diana Offline

MM, you are SO LUCKY!!!

There you are in Madrid, living in a real Spanish home, with a real Spanish señora, having a real Spanish life... Keep those journal entries coming with all the little details - I just love it! Boy, do I wish I was there, charlando con las vecinas. And the food!!! Will Mama Rosa share her recipes? I'm most interested in the alubias and the empanadillas. (Are the empanadillas de atún? Does she make her own pasta for them? Does she realize how famous she's becoming? Give her an extra dos besos!)

Turning bright green on the wrong side of the gran charco -
Diana

#57881 - 10/03/00 08:09 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Antonio, yes. I´m painfully aware of the cost of local calls to the ISP, but at least I have the free access (in MY name, actually). I spent so much time online last year at nights that when I left I put about 10,000 pesetas (bills) in a book and after I returned home I told them it was there. They were a bit angry with me, but it passed and they used the money. Yes, EasyEverything was closed this afternoon because their computers were down for a few hours. I was very sad for this. And now that I have the computer working at home I probably will only go once just to test it.

Diana, I believe the empandillas were with tuna and yes, she made the pasta herself. SO GOOD!! I can´t wait to have the garbanzos leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Man! As I said, I have NEVER been hungry here. BTW, not sure if Mama Rosa actually has recipes. I doubt it. All in her head during these 70-some years. heheehe. Mmm.. Those alubias blancas... MAN! they were good. She is such a sweetheart!!! More info tomorrow night!

Saludos, MadridMan (in Madrid!!!!!!)

#57882 - 10/04/00 08:39 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

That was a really nice touch, MM, leaving the sen~ora money in a book and then telling them about it AFTER you left. Tactful, helpful (even if they protested!) and so UN GRINGO!! You are becoming a true espanyol. Yesterday I made my kid some pollo with AJO and OLIVE OIL and he said, this tastes like SPAIN. So enjoy those alubias and empanadas... Can't wait to hear your hostales stories. Make them funny! saludos desde este lado del charco

#57883 - 10/04/00 09:11 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM - we are all so envious but we're enjoying your emails - people-food-sights-sounds-smells - all that is Madrid that we can live with being green with jealousy! Sounds like your having a wonderful time - keep emailing - the rest of us will just shed a tear of 'homesickness' and start looking for cheap flights! ENJOY

#57884 - 10/04/00 09:14 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey, MadridMan: Don't spend all your time (and money) telling us all the good things you are doing in Madrid. You can tell us later. For now: Aprovechar! Disfrutar! Take a stroll in el Parque del buen Retiro Sunday AM (around 11:00) and Enjoy!

The only time I thought about your message board when I was there a few weeks ago was when I passed a CyberCafe in Sevilla (but I just passed by - I had other priorities at the time).

Que tengas una visita fenominal! Eddie

#57885 - 10/04/00 09:23 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Roger Offline

Hi Scott,

When you have a minute can you call me on 609-002697 ? Would like to invite you to lunch so we can meet and chat.

Roger from GoMadrid.com

------------------
http://GoMadrid.com for museums, hotels, monuments and much more.

#57886 - 10/04/00 10:41 AM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hello Group! I´m writing JUST before my siesta after lunch of garbanzos y chorizo, 4 small chuletas de cerdo (pork chops), bread, a pear, and Mahou beer. Zzz... Zzz... I spent the whole morning...well, the late morning and half the afternoon walking about the Glorieta de Carlos V (a.k.a. Plaza de Atocha) and visited the Atocha train station and shot some video of the Botanical Garden/Rain Forest inside and the rest of the time walking about Retiro Park, the Botanical Gardens, el Estanque (lake), the Palacio de Cristal, La Rosaleda (the rose garden) and stopped in at El Brillante for 2 cañas of Aguila which each came with a free tapa of one green olive and one smelt. All were great! I´m saving the bocadillo de calamares for later because I was on my way home for this great lunch. Tonight, I´m not doing much of anything I don´t think. Might meet with some friends.

Roger, I´ll call you today. Puna, I´m loving the smells too -- even the ones of city sewers and "fertilizer" on the grass they´re replacing in a section of Retiro Park. Eddie, I´m happy to make my way to the website, upload my daily accounts, and share it all with you good people. I´m sure (most of) you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy doing it.

Bought my ticket today in Atocha for the Tren de la Fresa to Aranjuez and will go on Saturday the 14th. I´m excited!!! I´m dozing off. Time for a siesta. Until later!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57887 - 10/04/00 06:09 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
MadridMan,

I took the Tren de Fresas on September 30 and I can offer some insights into what to expect. The train ride was an enjoyable turn-back-the-clock exprience, the tour of the palace was nice, but paled in contrast to the Palacio Real( which I had seen earlier in the week). The Palace was in some need of repair- torn wallpaper, chipping paint, etc.. Nevertheless, it was splendid and the facade and the adjacent gardens are awe-inspiring. I would reccomend that you plan to walk around the town during the approximately 3 hour respite from the tour group. The best part of the trip, I felt was strolling away from the tourists into the sereen beauty of the Jardin de Principe, or into the quaint community around the bullring. There will be plenty of opportunities to eat the terrific Spanish cusine at Mama Rosa's casa, so eat light and tour during the break. The Museo de Faluas( Royal Barge Museum) is the destination after the afternoon break and before departure. It is not the highlight of the trip, but 5-10 minutes at looking at Alfonso XII's river barges may excite you more than me. The train arrives early enough at Atocha that you will be able to enjoy a couple of canas at nearby Bar Brillante before heading home.

Missing Spain,

Shawn

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-05-2000).]

#57888 - 10/04/00 08:48 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

OK, I'm getting nostalgic, too. Took the tren de la fresa when my son was about 3. He LOVED the fresa handout on the train (they were in season). We were met by a group of student musicos when we arrived. The train was cool, as was the old train station! Aranjuez was lovely, and the palace did have that wonderful decadent air. The boathouse was very cool. All in all an interesting trip. Tell us if you get fresas on the train!

#57889 - 10/05/00 08:19 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Gang!! Thanks for the feedback about the Tren de la Fresa. I´m really looking forward to this!

And by the way, JUST uploaded today´s daily journal entry @ http://www.MadridMan.com/madrid00.html . Hope you enjoy it! It´s 2:00am and I´m in the EasyEverything.com cybercafé! Am I crazy or what? I know, Eddie, I should be out enjoying myself instead of working on this. hehee. I love it all!!!! Catch you all tomorrow! My hostel/hostal bed awaits me just off the Puerta del Sol!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57890 - 10/05/00 08:50 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

yea! MM's page is back!! Glad you enjoyed all those yummie meals. What hostal are you at, and what's it like?? You REALLY did some walking there, from atocha to colon and plaza mayor... no wonder you could eat all that food. All you are missing here in the US are the vice-presidential debates tonight. zzzz Have fun and don't use up all the hot water at el hostal!

#57891 - 10/08/00 02:36 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Diana Offline

Wow.

I just read MM's journal entry describing Saturday night, and ....

Wow.

Several things come to mind:
1. That guy is having a blast!
2. I want to be there, too.
3. He's having an authentic Madrileño out-on-the-town experience.
4. He's being treated great by all his wonderful Spanish friends (no surprise there!)
5. Madrid continues to be an absolutely incredible place to be!

I've been living away from Spain for four years now (after 13 years in Madrid), and one of my recurring fears is that Spain will change before I move back. Entries like MM's are great because they prove that at heart, Madrid stays the same. Madrileños know how to live, they do it well, and they're smart enough to not change their ways much. Viva España!

#57892 - 10/08/00 02:50 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Madrid Man

I fully intend to buy your Madrid 2000 video, but I will PROMISE to buy it if you take some video inside Museo del Jamon, including in the restaurant bit! PS please can you make it a Scratch and Sniff video so that we can get the full benefit?

We loved it there in May, and want to show our kids what it's like before subjecting them to the fantastic experience, hopefully next year.

Enjoy yourself, we're all closing our eyes and experiencing it with you!

Jo-Anne

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#57893 - 10/09/00 06:19 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
replay Offline

What a great time with Madridman!!!
Last friday I was with our friend eating in a greek restaurant, I can confirm you your doubts, Madridman is a nice friend and a great Madrid lover, as a "madrileño" I can confirm him as an authentic "madrileño".

I hope to know to more Madrid lovers in the next party with Madridman, so I want to see you there friend!!!

Madridman is having a nice days in Madrid (I think), these days Madrid is having a good days, with an incredible weather (really sunny days with warm temperatures, in some moments very unusual for this month!!)

Madrid is happy with Madridman

#57894 - 10/10/00 01:43 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

replay and I really did have a GREAT time!! Man, did he walk my feet off!!! Madrileños like to walk, but this guy is CRAZY for walking!! WOW!!!!

Jo-Anne, I´d love to sell you my video, but I can´t ship outside of the US/Puerto Rico. Besides, you´re on the PAL system and my videos won´t work with you. So sorry! I was thinking of you today as I VIDEOTAPED the Museo del Jamon just east of the Puerta del Sol and had a café con leche in your honor.

You won´t believe who I ran into by chance as I was walking through the Plaza Oriente after videotaping the Palacio Real! I saw Jeremy of OleIdiomas.com . We had a drink at one of the terrazas along the entrance to the plaza. He, on his bicycle and looking totally "American" (but born in Ireland?? so he can legally work in Europe--lucky
bas$&%=!), was riding towards me and stopped almost in my path and said, "Hey. Are you Scott?" WOW! What a coincidence, eh? 3 million people in the city of Madrid and I run into him by chance. He´ll be at the Party With MadridMan tomorrow night.

Had a great, productive day today and will upload the account tomorrow morning. Hope you´re all still planning a chatroom gettogether!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57895 - 10/10/00 03:05 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jen Offline

By the way, MM, have you been practicing your piropos!?

#57896 - 10/10/00 03:05 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jen Offline

By the way, MM, have you been practicing your piropos!?

#57897 - 10/10/00 04:10 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Uhm, it seems that Madridman has already met everyone else in Madrid but me:

Replay, Roger, Florencio, Jeremy... And what about me?.

Hope you are saving the best for last.

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 10-10-2000).]

#57898 - 10/10/00 04:50 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Madrid Man

By hook or by crook I HAVE to have one of your videos!

What if you shipped it to friends of mine in the US who can then bring it over to the UK to me next time they visit?

I will then face the problem of finding someone to convert it to our video system - but I WILL manage it somehow!

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#57899 - 10/10/00 06:02 PM Re: countdown: MM's trip!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hello (from "home") Group! Sorry Jen. Haven´t been sending any piropos, but have sure thought of MANY I´d LIKE to send. WOW!!!

And don´t worry, Antonio, I´m sure to see you more than once!!! Hope you understand. In fact, I will more than likely be coming by tomorrow late morning to video the Hostal Chelo for the new Madrid Hostels website. You may not be there though. Still, I´ll see you at the "Party With MadridMan" and again, I´m sure!! Don´t worry, buddy. I you are my VIP!

And Jo-Anne. I would/will happilly send you a free video since you were nice enough to send me the article in your London newspapers about MadridMan.

Thanks for enjoying my MadridMan´s Madrid ´00 !!

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. Plaza de Castilla, El Faro de Moncloa, and other goodies tomorrow!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments