Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#41777 - 05/07/04 05:07 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
You're absolutely right. I apologize. See the edit.

#41778 - 05/07/04 05:14 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Martin,
I believe you have a good case and can get this sorted out, don't give up on this option and best of luck.
On the dual citizenship aspect...if you willingly take citizenship of another country then the State Dept. has every right to strip you of your US citizenship, especially if taking the new citizenship involves swearing an oath of allegiance. You can, I believe, keep your US status if you acquire the right to be a citizen of another country by marriage. I have dual UK/USA citizenship because the State Dept not so long ago allowed this into law and the UK doesn't care. I'd be careful about this one, if you give up your US citizenship you will only be able to enter the US as a tourist for a limited amount of time, that would suck if you still have family ties there.
I think that as a Vet you have more rights than anyone here to doubt the wisdom of you Government having put your belief in your country on the line...
Un Abrazo,
monito

#41779 - 05/07/04 05:33 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Silvita,
In the many jobs I have had I have:
Been a forestry worker in Yorkshire, England
Been an NYU professor (yes really, 3 years)
Been a manual laborer on a building site (various)
Been an archivist at the V&A museum in London
Been an artists model in NYC (very cold job)
Been a sales rep in Orlando, FL
Been a night shift worker in a chemicals factory
Been a translator (Spanish/English)
Been back to college at the age of 39 and graduated
Been a audio engineer for 18 years (hint!)
Been a blood doner (on Sep.11th 2001 at Beth Israel Hospital, NYC)
and finally...yes... been a barman!
You know, it's very easy to hide behind an alias and throw barbs at people you don't know and will never meet, in fact my 4th therapist suggested it as a way of venting my pent up anger at the whole world (that's humor), I really really take deep deep offense at your patronising remarks, edited or not, anything I say or feel is based on years of experience of the world, I suggest we have this conversation when you're a bit more mature.
Now I am going to play with my daughter cool ...
monito

#41780 - 05/07/04 05:35 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
Silvita Offline

Here's accurate information on the U.S.'s position on dual citizenship. This is from a law journal:

"In September, 1990, the Department of State ("DOS") issued a policy statement which dealth with loss of nationality. The policy statement indicated that DOS would presume a person intended to retain U.S. citizenship where:

the person was naturalized in a foreign country

took a routine oath of allegiance, or

accepted non-policy level employment with a foreign government.

Such a person need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. citizenship since such an intent will be presumed. It is important to note that the two expatriating acts which arise in the context dual nationality are given the benefit of this presumption."

In layman's terms, if you renounce your U.S. citizenship to JoseMaria in Madrid as part of a routine oath to get Spanish citizenship, you're fine. The U.S. isn't paying attention. Renounce it to John Smith at the U.S. Embassy, then you might have an issue. But why would anyone do that?

#41781 - 05/07/04 05:56 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
Silvita Offline

Yes, we'll continue the discussion when I'm more mature, and you're out from under that cloud of discontent.

#41782 - 05/07/04 06:02 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
You know, it's very easy to hide behind an alias and throw barbs at people you don't know and will never meet
Good point Monito. So, why donīt you complete your profile and quit your posturing about being such an upstanding world citizen?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but your monologue about what is right and what isnīt is getting boring. Why donīt you post on the thread about coffee shops? wink

PD Madridman, can we please close this thread? Itīs going nowhere fast!

#41783 - 05/07/04 07:24 PM Re: Open request to Madrid Man...
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My goodness! A LOT has been happening in this thread since I left work this afternoon!! rolleyes

And when I was thinking to close this going-nowhere-thread I read Chica's posting:
Quote:
PD Madridman, can we please close this thread? Itīs going nowhere fast!
Yes. I concur. Topic closed. Wow, wasn't that fun? (NOT!) rolleyes

And one final note; while a few of you danced along the fringe of it, let's refrain from name-calling, please. Thank you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments