Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34285 - 07/20/00 11:28 AM Help!! need advice
susan Offline

Loc: florida
Hi!
I have a bunch of questions to ask..
1. Is the Atm the best way to go..I have a visa check card that I plan to use..how much do you recommend I bring in cash...travelers checks etc..when you get the money out of the atm...this will be in pesetas..correct?

2. are shorts a real bad idea...I would think it would be kinda hot for pants..I will be arriving August 10th..

3. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Buñol..I am going to El festival de la tomatina...
4. where do I leave my bag during the day..is it safe to leave in the lockers hostals provide...and for my day bag..should I have a little lock on the zippers..do not want to be paranoid..but reading all the bad stuff does it..I am assuming it is safe to have on my back? I had a bad experience in costa rica..

5. are sneakers a real bad idea..as a female what would I wear?? to be comfortable!

#34286 - 07/20/00 12:33 PM Re: Help!! need advice
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
susan i will answer one of your questions because i am familiar with it. #1 yes bring your checkcard with you, when you withdraw money from the atm it will be in pesetas. bring only a little bit of money with you to last until you go to a ATM, BECAUSE, when you withdraw money from your atm, you will be getting a BANK TO BANK rate for your money. If you go with cash and exchange your money you will not get as good as a rate if you just withdraw from your checking account. When you change your money from cash you get the customer rate, but by using your ATM you get a bank to bank rate, much better that way, so pay with your checkcard when you can and withdraw when you get there. i have always done it this way and it saves a good chunck of change and you are not carrying money with you.

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#34287 - 07/20/00 01:09 PM Re: Help!! need advice
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi susan! missmadrid98 has done an excellent job on your Question #1. I agree with her 100%, but you might still want to get/take some traveler's checks and just NOT USE THEM unless you find that your ATM/checking card doesn't work for some reason. Also, read through the "ATM Card" thread in this forum for more info/insight.

As for your Question #2, you might want to start by reading through the "No shorts?" thread also in this forum (LOTS of replies there!), but suffice it to say that hey, you are a tourist and you should be comfortable. MANY MANY other travelers/tourists will be wearing them too. Most Spanish women wear lightweight, 100% cotton (sun)dresses and they look VERY nice too!

Question #5: refer to my answer to your Question #2 above. (just don't wear dresses on your feet. hehehehee)

I'll leave Questions #3&4 to our other experts. Have a WONDERFUL time in Spain!!! I'm sure you'll fall in love with her (Spain) just as most of us here already have.

Saludos, MadridMan

-------------------
Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market for great guide books, Spanish music, and tour videos/movies about/from Spain! DOZENS of selections added recently!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-20-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34288 - 07/20/00 10:30 PM Re: Help!! need advice
mary Offline

Loc: California USA
HI,
I agree with using your ATM for cash and credit cards for purchases. I spent two weeks in Spain and only brought a few hundred american dollars with me. I used my ATM for all cash, and never had to exchange my american dollars. One bit of advise; check with your bank to found out how much, if any, they will charge your account for ATM withdraws from Europe. Depending on cost per transaction, it will tell you how often you want to use it while your there. I would also not recommend you carry your cash or valuables in your backpack. Put them in a money belt or one that hangs around your neck.

Regarding your clothing, remember, the spanish dress up in the evenings when going out. And unless you want to look like a midwestern tourist, no sneakers. Wear comfortable walking shoes or sandels with a strap in the back.

Have a great trip.

[This message has been edited by mary (edited 07-20-2000).]

#34289 - 07/21/00 06:37 AM Re: Help!! need advice
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I keep reading the: No shorts; no sneakers; no white socks 'posts.' I disagree! If you are 'in uniform' (i.e., hiker's uniform = a 'military cut' shortsleeve shirt, hiking (or cargo) shorts, hiking boots or shoes (I wear Nike 'hikers' which some might call high top sneakers) and white socks), those items are considered 'proper' dress. A 50-litre back pack may make such a uniform more complete; but I find that a small daypack suffices and I rarely draw any stares or comments.

Dress for the activity in which you are engaged.

#34290 - 07/21/00 01:44 PM Re: Help!! need advice
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Unless you want to stand out as a visitor/tourist - with the problems this can create - leave the tennis shoes at home. Same goes for shorts. I'm from Hawaii and we used to cringe - and be offended - by the way some visitors dressed. You are a guest in Spain -dress comfortably and accordingly -you'll feel more at ease as a result.

#34291 - 07/23/00 04:19 PM Re: Help!! need advice
loida Offline

Loc: Irving, TX 75038
I was in Madrid from July 12 to July 19 and saw lots of people in shorts during the day, most of them were tourists.
At night, I noticed people tend to dress up a lot more. My husband decided to wear shorts one day and a soccer jersey. At the end of the day we walked into an Irish pub really close to Puerta del Sol and he got many stares from people; there was virtually NO ONE wearing shorts or tennis shoes!
I wore capri pants, cotton tanks and black platform sandals the whole time and I thought I blended in just fine.

#34292 - 07/23/00 08:58 PM Re: Help!! need advice
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
The only sneaker I wear while in Spain is a
black "HiTec" hiking shoe which looks fine with a long black dress.

Shorts are fine if you are at a beach.

I can't imagine what is worn at la Tomatina! Probably plastic flip flops and disposable clothing. I recently saw a show that visited la Tomatina festival on the Travel Channel. Looked like an hour of insanity and fun.

#34293 - 08/03/00 07:34 AM Re: Help!! need advice
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
On the security thing, #4. If you're planning to stay in an "hostal" (like Hostal Lopez, Gonzalo) etc., these are not "hostels", you don't get a locker. You have a room with lock and key, and your stuff will be safe in there.

There's a thread here somewheres about regarding pickpockets. All I can say is I never had any trouble, but then I never carry a bag, and my advice is to avoid it if you can.

Regarding clothes, it can be a dificult to look like a local. They don't seem to feel the heat! I remember being in Seville in summer a couple of years back, and there was this fashion amongst girls for wearing enormous hiking boots. It was 100+ in the shade and they walked around like they were about to tackle Everest! I couldn't believe it. Best thing is be comfortable in the day, as it will be hot. In the evening though, my own inclination is to make an effort to fit in. The Spanish dress well, and don't wear sports gear at night. Personally, I like that. It's part of the atmosphere, and lots of "casually" dressed tourists kind of spoil it.

Have fun!

#34294 - 08/03/00 09:21 AM Re: Help!! need advice
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Boqueron, pardon me, but the places you mention (Lopez, Gonzalo) *are* hostels, but they are just not YOUTH-hostels. I think there's some discussion about this clarification in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum. The word "hostels" (and I realize this isn't the proper forum to post this....what can I say? I'm breaking my own rules. hehehee.. ) is the english translation of the spanish word "hostales". I've seen so many times people incorrectly write the plural of "hostal" as "hostals" which is the English-ized word for "hostales". I know. I know. Blah blah blah... hehehee.. Now, on with the thread!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-03-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments