Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22458 - 01/07/04 04:06 PM Going to Spain (hopefully)
redwingsfreak_19 Offline

Loc: Lansing Mi USA
Making my second trip to Spain this summer hopefully. Last time we went to Madrid Segovia, escorial, Barcelona, and Valencia. This time i would like to see other cities, any tips? I was thinking of going in July (mainly to go to Pamplona for running of the bulls) so Pamplona is definately one i want to go to, also thought about Seville, Toledo, and maybe Granada.

#22459 - 01/10/04 08:05 AM Re: Going to Spain (hopefully)
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Seville and Granada are not too far from each other. If you are in that region then Cordoba and Ronda are other must-sees. Toledo is definately worth visiting.
I have not been to Pamplona (yet) but if you do head up north try to make time for Bilbao. Quite different to most Spanish cities (well it is in the Basque region) but just as exciting as anywhere you can visit in Spain. Just remember to take your raincoat!

#22460 - 01/10/04 12:39 PM Re: Going to Spain (hopefully)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I would recommend a side trip to Galicia, Santiago de Compostela, specifically if you can be there in July, this is a special holiday year of St. James and there will be a lot of frestivities in that beautiful city. Galicia is a land of enchantment and a beautiful region to visit anytime.
Saludos,
Carmen

#22461 - 01/10/04 04:22 PM Re: Going to Spain (hopefully)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with Booklady and Sel is planning a trip to Galicia too (although she hasn't commented here yet - but you can read her Trip to Galicia thread). Galicia is/was my FAVORITE part of Spain outside of Madrid. You can read my MadridMan\'s 2002 Madrid/Galicia Trip journal if interested/bored.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22462 - 01/10/04 06:31 PM Re: Going to Spain (hopefully)
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Ok...I have selfishly been working on my own trips!!! I leave the 12th of February for 2 1/2 weeks and again in June for almost 5 weeks. Because I have yet to go to Galicia, I only have second hand information, BUT I am really excited about next summer's adventure. Check out the trip to Galicia thread and MM's journal from last year to get an idea of what there is to do. This summer will be busy because it is a Jubilee year. I will be exploring by car with 2 of my kids for a week and doing the Camino Francés by horseback for a week plus a few days in Santiago. Teo weeks is barely enough to scatch the surface. There are so many places that I want to see.

Toledo is an incredible place. I have posted several times in the past about Toledo. There is something mystical about that city for me. When I fly to Madrid, I immediately take the train to Toledo and stay for 2 or 3 days. It deserves much more than a day trip. In fact, I love to explore before the day trippers arrive and after they leave!! I always stay at Hostal Descalzos because they are pleasant and they have a view of the river towards the San Martín bridge that is incredible. I can lay in bed, look out across the balcony and see the river and bridge. At night it is incredible. I bought the map sold at the train station and never go out without it and my compass because I am always lost in the tangled narrow paths that they call streets. I find tiny bakeries and sample unknown treats. I cross the San Martín bridge to visit a small shop, El Torero, run by Valentina Payo. Ceramics are piled high and she has ceramics from Talavera and Toledo that are much less expensive than in the main part of the city. Toledo feels much safer to me than Madrid. My reservation for the 13th of February is confirmed and I will be there again in June. Even my kids like to start their trips from Toledo.

The Alhambra and the Generalife in Granada as well as the city are wonderful. I am not a big city person but I did enjoy our time there. Just south of Granada is La Alpujara and its secret villages tucked high in the mountains. They are very remote and quiet. Is is like taking a trip back in time.

Ronda is exceptional. We had a car and took the trip outside of town to explore the caves that have ancient drawings. The experience of spending the afternoon with the farmer whose grandfather found the caves is still a highlight and the walk through the caves was facinating.

El Puerto de Santa Maria is a great little town from which to explore the surrounding area. Jerez has a wonderful horse show featuring the Andalucian Horses. It is like a ballet with horses and is not to be missed. Sevilla is an easy train ride as is Cadiz. It has great beaches just north of town.

I have found a language school in Málaga that I like to attend. Málaga is often overlooked by visitors. It has a rich history and a gorgeous cathedral. It is my favorite big city and is easy to negociate. I love school because I stay with a host family. That is where I am heading in February and I will be staying with the same host family as last year. For 2 weeks they feed me and encourage me to sample all kinds of wine that they keep in their bodega. For a wife and mother of three like me, this kind of treatment is heavenly. laugh Near Málaga is Nerja which is a small beach town certainly worth a visit. There are hugh tourist towns west of Málaga, but I have avoided them.

Alicante is a fun big city with spectacular boats in the bay. It has great food and bars and a mixture of ages. The beaches are great in that area. Near Alicante is a small town called Ibi which is the toy capital of Spain. There are wonderful 'state' parks nearby where you can hike and get lost if you desire. I actually spent a week in Ibi and ran out of time to do everything I had hoped.

Spain is small but packed with places to explore. The bar scene is not high on my list and I tend to love the smaller towns. They are beautiful. Pamplona is not high on my list. Spaniards have told me that it has become such a circus that it has lost much of its appeal. There are still many smaller celebrations that have not been ruined by the media.

How many days do you have to travel? Will you have a car?

Hope this helps a bit!!

Susan

#22463 - 01/11/04 08:25 AM Re: Going to Spain (hopefully)
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
redwingsfreak_19, you are going to absolutely love spending some more time in Spain! I agree totally with sel's post! Toledo is a definte must-see, and especially NOT AS A DAYTRIP from Madrid. Spending the night there is really magical. You will really love it. We have stayed at the parador in Toledo with a view of the city that is incomparable.

As for Pamplona, well, I love the energy and excitement of La fiesta de San Fermín. I have gone four times and always have a blast. However, it is really crazy and terribly crowded and perhaps not as "charming" at that time of the year. In the summer there are fiestas in almost every town in Spain celebrating the patron saints of the area. You will be able to see fewer Americans in other parts of Spain ---Pamplona is filled with Americans and , in my opinion, that aspect of the fiesta is not so great.

filbert mentions Bilbao...which I visited for the first time this past summer. I loved the Gugghenheim, but the old part of the city was also fun to wander around in. The northern coast would be perfect for the summer...Cantabría, Asturias and my personal favorite...Galicia ( as others have mentioned!!) is really gorgeous. There are so many towns to explore...mountain villages and seaside towns as well as some great cities: Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Pontevedra, Vigo, Baiona, etc. Oh, I didn't mention the food...empanada gallega, salpicón de mariscos...you will love Galicia.

Sorry to have rambled on...but wherever you choose to go, I am certain you will have a great summer. Let us all know where you end up going and we all would love to hear about your impressions! smile

Esperanza

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1850 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments