Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#18188 - 10/25/00 04:00 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Ana Offline

Loc: Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
Oh my god! You all scared me. I´m going to spend a few days in Sevilla in January but now I don´t know what to do! I´m going to lose my summer here to freeze in Spain! And I cannot take lots of luggage since i´m going by myself and i´m staying in hostels...Is there any hostel insulated?

#18189 - 10/25/00 04:10 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Ana-- I checked your profile and you are from Brasil. Well, the only place I know of in Spain with warm temps in Jan are the Canary Islands. But I think probably if you go to Sevilla knowing it gets dark early and it may be somewhat damp and cold.... you/we?! will be fine. All HOTELS will have heating, I am sure; the HOSTALES (small family run hotels) will be less consistent in their generosity w/ the heat I bet. Has anyone NOT frozen in Sevilla in January??

#18190 - 10/25/00 04:12 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While I do love Sevilla and think you SHOULD go this winter, you probably will find it quite cool. I went during Semana Santa (springtime!!) and it was below freezing after dark for sure. All said it was unusual to be SO cold, but my goodness!! I was wearing ALL my packed clothes just to survive. We could see our breath and had no gloves.

Anyway, do you HAVE to go to Sevilla? Why not the more agreeable, all-year-round pleasant climate of Marbella or Málaga? I know. I know. Can you say..."TOURISTY!" Costa del Sol is jumping with tourists during the winters because of the great temperatures (70s-80 on average). Plus, Costa del Sol is more expensive than Sevilla. Hmm.. Tough choice. I'd say just go to Sevilla and take plenty of warm clothing since you'll be in a nice hotel during the nights for sleeping.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18191 - 10/25/00 04:20 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Ana Offline

Thanks for all information, but can anyone tell me the temperature in "celsius degrees" cause i don´t understand pretty much the "farenheit degree". Were i live here in Brazil in quite cold, i don´t think it´s gonna be a huge weather change for me.

#18192 - 10/25/00 05:26 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Nah, I don't HAVE to go to Sevilla, but I do have to go to interesting places. Marbella ain't my idea of interesting. So, maybe I should consider other places in Andalucia with great paradores that might be warmer!

#18193 - 10/25/00 08:19 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
What a coincidence! We're going to Andalucia in January as well. I was a little worried about the weather too. But after thinking about it, we always visit Spain when it starts to heat up and I've never been there in January. So i'm looking forward to seeing another accept of this beloved country, not to mention fewer crowds.
I live in San Diego, and even though i'm not complaining, the 365 day 80 degree weather can get a bit monotonous.
Who knows, maybe those of us going in January can hook up and meet! I would love to meet all you insightful, helpful "MM members".

#18194 - 10/25/00 08:58 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
rgf, was it YOU, by chance whom a few days ago bought one of the "Historical Paradors: A Journey Through Spanish Hotels" through MadridMan's ALL Spain Market in the Books-Nonfiction category? I thought it might be you after reading about your love for the paradores. Just curious.

You can see the monthly temperatures for Sevilla (in Farenheit - sorry Ana) HERE .

Laduque, I hope you all can get together in Spain in January!! That would be great!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18195 - 10/26/00 08:35 AM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

MM, It was not I who bought the HISTORIC PARADORES but that is a good idea! I'll put it on my holiday list! I have some books in Spanish, though. And the reason I love the paradores besides the obvious (great, interesting places) is that, with all their discount programs, I never pay more than 10 mil a night per ROOM. That's, CHA CHING, $50 with the 200 pesetas per dollar exchange reached yesterday!!

#18196 - 10/26/00 12:12 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Ana Offline

I'm not scared anymore. I found a converser Farenheit-Celsius at: www.uncwil.edu/people/dixonrd/tempconv.htm
and I also saw that Seville is one of the warmest cities among the others that i´m visiting. The average temperature in Spain in the winter, is the same as in my city here in Brazil, so it´s not a big deal.

Laduque, which days are you staying in Sevilla?

#18197 - 10/26/00 12:48 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Glad to hear the weather in Sevilla is "warmer" than others that time of year...
I will be in Granada from Jan. 9-12 and then Maybe Sevilla after that, still figuring out if we will visit friends in Cadiz or not..
We will be visiting family in Madrid from Dec. 27th to Jan. 16th, anyone else will be in the capital at that time? ( I know MissMadrid will be!!!)

p.s. I still don't know how to use the smiley icons!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments