Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65949 - 10/22/00 03:43 PM videos
elena Offline

Loc: ambridge, pa, usa
Hi!! I'm looking for a video in Spanish with subtitles or in English for my Spanish class. I would really like to buy or rent or something Don Juan Tenorio, the Zorrilla version of his story. Anyone know where I can get one that is appropriate for showing in a public high school? gracias

#65950 - 10/22/00 05:07 PM Re: videos
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi elena! I got your email, but might as well reply here. I did some quick checking at Amazon.com and found only the 1949 Errol Flynn movie about Don Juan, the one you said you already had. Other than that there's only the one 1995 in English, Don Juan de Marco with Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando - not exactly what you're looking for.

Otherwise, take a quick look through the movies I have listed in the VIDEO: MOVIE category of MadridMan's ALL Spain Market . Most of these are in Spanish with English subtitles, but doubt the ones by Pedro Almodóvar would be appropriate for school kids. Anyone else have any ideas? Best of luck in your search!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65951 - 10/22/00 05:55 PM Re: videos
elena Offline

Hey, thanks!!! I did find one titled don Juan Tenorio from 1995. It's a Spanish film, but I can only find it out of Carneige Mellon University and I can get there to get it even if I had a card with them. Thanks again. I love your site!!! elena

#65952 - 10/26/00 05:49 PM Re: videos
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Elena,

Finally my five years as a Spanish HS instructor pay off on this site:

Depending on your budget, you may want to look into "Films for the Humanities" on the following web site. When I was teaching we bought a lot with them, as they have the RTVE productions of many of the classics (we got our copy of Don Quixote from them: THE BEST!). Any way, RTVE did a Don Juan Tenorio, and it's listed here: http://www.films.com/. Just search for <tenorio> and it comes up first. Best of luck and keep on teaching!!!

#65953 - 10/26/00 05:52 PM Re: videos
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I forgot to mention: The reason that I included the phrase "Depending on your budget" becomes evident when you see their prices...

Nevertheless, as I mentioned, they are quality pieces in which you won't be disappointed!

#65954 - 10/26/00 08:34 PM Re: videos
elena Offline

Thanks!!! I'm glad to know it's out there, but it is a little too expensive for my budget. It was a capricho on my part and too rich of one at the moment. The kids will have to do without it. Maybe when I work on next year's school budget I can somehow fit it in. Also, without knowing too much about it, year, rating, etc., I'm not even sure I could show it in school. You know they show stuff on TVE that we'd never be allowed to show in our public schools.
Again, thanks. I marked the site and when I have more time I intend to surf through it.
Elena

#65955 - 10/30/00 04:09 PM Re: videos
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Elena,

You're right: too caro. I know we had the Don Juan version at my old school, but I never screened it. The Quixote version is the best I've ever seen. Very true to the original (there is no substitute for reading Quixote, but getting kids to go through 1000+ pages is sometimes similar to extractive dentistry...). Obviously if you can get your school to take a $165 gamble, you're amazing, and I want you to sell real estate and insurance for me! It's too bad that they don't have a screening room on their site, since as you said, it would be nice to not be "surprised" by content when it shows up. Best of luck in the search!

#65956 - 10/30/00 08:02 PM Re: videos
elena Offline

You're right. I'll probably never get the school to pay that much for a video sight unseen, but.... I've told them about the play and how in the "old" days TVE would always show it on Nov. 1. Sometimes it was even a live production. Does anyone know if they still do that? Maybe I could get someone to tape it and then have MediaPlay or that other place that does things change it over to our system. I think it's only something like $20 to do that. Any ideas?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1562 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments