Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35373 - 03/07/02 05:09 AM Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
carlie ann Offline

Loc: medford, NJ ---> jersey pri...
Are there rules as to what I will be able to bring home in my suitcase from Spain to the US? I know that in some countries there are certain foods that cannot be brought over the border. What about wines and cheeses and jamon? Iīm sure thereīs got to be more info on this, but iīm not sure where to start. Thanks smile
Carlie

#35374 - 03/07/02 06:14 AM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
carlie ann writes:
Quote:
I know that in some countries there are certain foods that cannot be brought over the border. What about wines and cheeses and jamon?
I am sure a good jamon serrano or chorizo would cause those drug-sniffing dogs at Newark airport to stop at the carousel when they sniff your luggage. Wine's OK and 1-quart of distilled spirits (brandy, etc.) per adult, but no meat products that are not in cans. rolleyes

#35375 - 03/07/02 05:57 PM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Unfortunately, we can't bring in cheese either...unless it's a whole wheel! If you'll use all that Manchego, it's worth it!!

-GG

#35376 - 03/08/02 05:37 PM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
You can find some useful information in this web page:
http://www.customs.gov/travel/know.htm#Food

#35377 - 03/08/02 07:38 PM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Felix, thanks for that link!!! From it, I'm going to list some items which people sometimes want to bring home from Spain but may not be allowed:

Absinthe ,
Dog and Cat Fur confused ,
Meats, Livestock, Poultry
(Note: you may not bring back fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries. Also, you may not bring in food products that have been prepared with meat.),
Fruits and Vegetables,
Plants,
Tobacco Products
(note: Passengers/travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Tobacco products of Cuban origin, however, are prohibited unless you actually acquired them in Cuba and are returning directly or indirectly from that country on licensed travel. You may not, for example, bring in Cuban cigars purchased in Canada.)

Follow the link Felix gave for more details. Thanks, Felix!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35378 - 03/11/02 12:53 AM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
Can I bring home a sword in my checked bagage. I have brought a sword to my grandson for the last two years and I know he wants another one. If anyone knows for sure after 9/11 I would like to know.

#35379 - 03/11/02 02:08 AM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
Juvat Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nv
rolleyes I don't think you want to try to take a sword in your checked baggage with the heightened security at Airports nowdays. It may be confiscated. I lived in Spain for 10 years and shipped lots of items back to the USA by mail. Many places will pack and ship the items you buy back to the U.S. Just be careful with the breakable stuff i.e. llardro etc... better to hand carry. wink

#35380 - 03/29/02 12:32 PM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
I just went to the U.S Customs page and did a search for swords. There is NO prohibition about bringing swords back into this country at least on this page If someone is on their way to Spain NOW perhaps they could ask as they go through customs and report back to the board before July.
Thanks
sabalagirl

#35381 - 03/30/02 10:37 AM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
With airport security as it is - if you buy a sword - am guessing that you are are considering purchasing one in Toledo - have the store package it, declare on proper forms what is being shipped, and post it to your home.

I doubt if you want to be nabbed, hasseled, or beaten to death by the hordes of travelers that'll be delayed due to customs, cops, and other federal agents you will have upsest as you try to get through security!

#35382 - 03/30/02 03:48 PM Re: Customs: What I can and canīt bring home
shula Offline

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Hey check out the shares under "importing swords" elsewhere on this message board for more detailed information. It isn't a big deal to bring them over

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2639 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments