Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#77827 - 03/24/04 09:32 PM international alphabets (typing)
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how to set up my computer so I can type accented letters and other Spanish characters? I am using Windows XP.

Do I just type special control characters? Is it a setting on my OS? Any help is appreciated..

Thanks!

P.S. I tried a search on this and found nothing, maybe it has already been addressed, but my search was faulty?

#77828 - 03/24/04 09:50 PM Re: international alphabets (typing)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Vicki! It's a combination of keystrokes to get the accented characters. Check out the " Spanish on US computer keyboards " thread in the "Studying In Spain, Education & Language" category.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77829 - 03/24/04 11:50 PM Re: international alphabets (typing)
El Dougo Offline

When they say Alt 130, they mean type the numbers on the "number keypad," which is the block of numbers on the far right on your keyboard. Hold down the Alt key while typing the numbers, then release.

You can copy and paste from Character Map (Accesories, System Tools, Character Map). I find the Ariel font has all the letters and punctuation marks, including ¿ Á í ñ ó the euro sign €, and lots of crazy things like £▲Ұ꺞§Ü⶜ΨζШگ▓™╪└♣♫♀©. It also gives you the "secret code." € is Alt + 0128. It is nice when you email somebody to use the correct letters and punctuation. ♥ El Dougo

For Chus's entry (below) you can also bring up an on-screen keyboard: Start, All Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, On Screen Keyboard.

#77830 - 03/25/04 10:30 AM Re: international alphabets (typing)
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
There's a way to switch between English and Spanish keyboards. Follow this instructions for Windows XP:
Start - Settings - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - "Languages" tab - Click on "Details" under "Text services and input languages" - On the "Installed services" area of the new window click "Add" and scroll down to "Spanish (Traditional Sort) under the "Input language" area - Click "OK" - Click "Apply" and then "OK".
Now you can switch between English and Spanish keyboards pressing the left "Alt" and "Shift" keys. You'll get a display on the Task bar changing from "EN" to "ES".
It takes a little bit to get used to in the beginning but then it's easy.
"ñ" is ";"
The accent "é" is " ' " plus the letter
"¡" is "="
"¿" is "+" etc...
If somebody needs instructions on how to setup the keyboard in Windows 2000, let me know, I can post them.
Hope it helps!

Chus

#77831 - 03/26/04 12:46 AM Re: international alphabets (typing)
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Great! Thanks for the quick responses. When I log off I will give it a try.

#77832 - 03/26/04 10:36 PM Re: international alphabets (typing)
El Dougo Offline

Another good reason to use the accents: searches on Google are case specific. You need the accent to find the reference.

#77833 - 04/01/04 09:24 PM Re: international alphabets (typing)
writejudi Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh, my goodness! PCs are so complicated! It takes 15 steps to do what I can do with one or two clicks on a Mac. I have my choice of dozens of languages (many I've never heard of)and both español, catalán y euskara.

Sorry. We may be only 2% of the computer'owning public, but we do love our Macs!

Judi

#77834 - 04/02/04 12:55 PM Re: international alphabets (typing)
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
Well, everybody has it's own favorites. As one of the other 98% I love my PC. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1799 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments