Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56986 - 02/04/07 12:31 PM Diferent electric power..
tery Offline

Loc: tampa
I will go to Madrid on March 07 and stay in Hostal Martin. I will like to know if they have an electric convertor from 220 to 11O because our blow dryer and the charger for the batteries are from here (USA) or If is better to buy one over there..what you recomend?

#56987 - 02/04/07 02:33 PM Re: Diferent electric power..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
They won't have a power converter for you to borrow at Hostal Martín so you might simply consider buying a cheap blow dryer (for 10 Euros or maybe less) upon arriving.

As for the charger for the batteries you can buy those here too. But before doing that, check the charger as it might very well automatically "convert" or have a colored switch which you can switch over to the other power requirements in Spain, necessitating only a simple plug adapter which you can buy in AAA or RadioShack or travel store. (probabaly even in WalMart)

You can also buy power converters/transformers in any electronics store.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56988 - 02/04/07 05:08 PM Re: Diferent electric power..
tery Offline

Thanks MM..I posted the same question in spanish because could'not find my first post..thanks again

#56989 - 02/05/07 01:27 PM Re: Diferent electric power..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
tery, you should've been emailed an "alert email" notifying you of the moving of your thread from the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" to this forum category.

Did you have a chance to get out today and look for power converters at WalMart or RadioShack? You can buy them in Spain too but they're MUCH more expensive here.

My laptops and electric shaver (bought in the USA) have automatic power switching and all I have to use is a small plug adapter which I think cost about $1. But for hair blow dryers, radios, or other electronics, you'll damage the device should you try to simply use them with a plug adapter.

Will you come back here and tell us of your experience later? This'll give us first-person "closure" to the issue as I know many people have the same question you do.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56990 - 02/05/07 03:24 PM Re: Diferent electric power..
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Perhaps I can help a little since I was just in Barcelona. I have a travel hair dryer that will switch voltage from 110 to 220, so all I did was switch the voltage and then use an adaptor for the plug. As for my camera battery charger, I had to use a converter and an adaptor.

Since I've traveled to countries all over the globe, I bought myself a good adaptor/converter set that I've used for years. I bought mine at a local travel store, but you can also get them at www.worldtraveler.com which is the web site for Kaehler World Travel stores. You will notice that they have things from just plain plug adaptor sets for $12.50 to more advanced converter and adaptor sets for $42. I have bought things from Kaehler before, and as you can see, they have a wide variety of travel products. Just a suggestion!

#56991 - 02/11/07 10:33 AM Re: Diferent electric power..
tery Offline

I will post my experience for sure. I consider this forum one of the best!! thanks tou you MM for have it for us..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1890 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments