Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47886 - 05/12/08 05:17 AM Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm looking for a 16-20" ("pulgadas") flat panel television with DVD and TDT integrated in one. For obvious reasons, they're hard to find.

I looked in the downtown Madrid FNAC and El Corte Inglés and found the SAME television in both stores. I can't remember the no-name-brand right now but was something like DMGNT or a series of letters starting in D and M. The price was from 450 - 500 Euros for the 19 and 20" TV respectively. The picture quality was the poorest of all the televisions on display. GREAT! rolleyes

The television would be affixed to the wall or standing on a tall, small-ish shelf and there's no space for a stand-alone DVD player or TDT ( television digital terrestre ) converter box.

I also found one Sunstech brand 16" combo flat panel TV which might be the one I'll have to get but it's a bit small. It has everything integrated, a carry handle, and a slightly better picture than the one described above. The price was also around 400-450 Euros. Steep.

My plan is to go to MediaMarkt too and see what they have. Last time I was there they only had one flat panel with TV and DVD but no TDT.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47887 - 05/12/08 08:43 AM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
No help to you ......

I bought from local Tesco supermarket, a LCD 15" with built in Freeview ( I guess thats similar to TDT) for £119. One with built in DVD as well, was £139. Considerably less than in Spain !!
Are all TVs expensive in Spain? -compared to UK?
() / ()

#47888 - 05/13/08 02:10 AM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Have you had a wander down c/Barquillo, more or less opposite the bank of Spain? There's a collection of TV/Hifi shops down there.

I've also got a friend who's involved in audio visual stuff here, I'll send him an email see if he has any suggestions.

#47889 - 05/13/08 03:33 PM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks Jamongris! I'll try to remember to look into those. I know of a few TV/HiFi shops around Madrid but they're always so expensive. This TV would be not a necessity but rather a small luxury for the bedroom and so price is a factor.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47890 - 05/14/08 09:09 AM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi MadridMan,

There are too many things to consider when choosing a LCD. For instance, HD Ready is not quite the same as "Full HD" (I would call "Full HD" "real / true" high definition). Unfortunately, there are no small Full HD LCD TVs so far.

Have a look at the offer they have this week at Urende . Daewoo DSL-19V1WCD. 19", buil-in TDT turner and DVD (with DivX): 411 euros.

#47891 - 06/23/08 04:26 AM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Case closed! I was in PC CITY in Arguelles on Saturday morning to pick up some more printer cartridges and saw the (near) perfect LCD TV/DVD/TDT combo.

It was a no-name brand called "VECTOR" - which the sales person told me that someone told her (uh-huh rolleyes ) that this TV comes from the Samsung factory.

It's a 19" screen, perfect for the bedroom wall shelf on which it's now standing, has the right-side-loading DVD "lector" and left-side USB and digital camera media card reader - which is a great bonus.

The DVD player works fine enough but to see the video clearly you can't be more than about 30 degrees angle away from the front panel so I'm thinking of lowering the shelf a little.

It's got a sleep-timer function - which doesn't concern me much because I can't sleep with the TV on anyway.

The stereo audio speakers are kind of small so they sound a bit "metalic" but not too bad and not very noticeable after awhile. The adjustable picture is just okay.

Price: 295 Euros. Not bad. It was about 40 Euros cheaper than the 20" model but the 19" model has a higher resolution so I was happy about that.

I'd been looking for this often-advertised NEVIR brand (great name) which has everything too but even through their website could I NOT find anyplace which sold it. Lots of publicity and no place to buy it. Odd.

It also has TDT and works very well but you still have to connect the TV to an antenna, which I've done. The TDT public TV channels are clear as are the digital radio channels. For some reason I DON'T get esMadrid.TV from this bedroom TV as I get in the Sony living room TV but maybe because of the lesser-strength of the in-TV receiver. Not sure.

The TV setup is pretty darn confusing on the remote control. I actually had to read the instructions (only available in Spanish) carefully.

So en fin, "It's no Sony" but it's good enough for a rarely used TV/DVD for the bedroom.

I realize this all really has nothing to do with Spain other than I was happy to find it in PC CITY for a good price, right on my metro route. I don't, however, like taking such big, "expensive" electronic boxes on the metro - or even down the sidewalk - as people are always staring at the new box and this makes me nervous.

So that's that. Case closed! Thanks for all your input!

Saludos, MadridMan

PS: I've just ordered online a setup which allows one to transmit, without wires, the Digital+ signal from the box in the living room to the new TV in the bedroom. That'll be nice to be able to watch the satellite broadcasts in bed without buying/renting an extra Digital+ box.

#47892 - 07/29/08 03:27 AM Re: Madrid: TV/DVD/TDT combo?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

By the way, since my computer monitor stopped working yesterday I was able to connect the PC to the newly-purchased LCD TV. Thank goodness I could too or I'd be lost until I can buy a new PC monitor.

What a useful feature for this TV! It's been running well as a TV too - although I only occasionally use it in the bedroom.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments