Hi Marisa,

I work at a school in Madrid where I have 5 auxiliares de conversación as a part of my team. Overall, the experience is wonderful, though each school has a slightly different approach. As MadridMan told you, you will be "used" for your native-speaking skills and normally be asked to contribute your cultural knowledge to the class; in other words, bring your world and language to the classroom.

Mainly are supposed to do is assist the main teacher in any way possible, and help the students improve their speaking and listening skills. Legally you are not supposed to teach the class without another teacher being present. In practice, this can be different as many assistants enjoy working with half the class on their own, but that's a different story.

Pay, as a rule, is nothing to write home about, and you might have to supplement with private tutoring. But in general, it's a very positive experience.

I recommend integrating as much as possible into the school and faculty atmosphere. The Spanish really appreciate it when they see you want to become a part of their world and it makes everything that much more pleasant.

Do you know what age group they have in mind for you?

I'm pretty up on this subject (it's one of the few I know in life!) so please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Take care.
Brian