Tragic story -very unreported in Spain at the beginning because according to what I read in the States, his roomates reprted him missing but the police didn't take it seriously until the US Embassy and the university got involved.His father flew out after a week because the idea of a kidnapping suggested by the police never came to anything.What a sad photo of the dad next to a poster.He even had hired som detectives to help in the search but the next day ,his body was found in the river.
After the sadness , I'm sure one of the question,mentioned by Steve, will arise as to the loyalty of his friends-why didn't they go with him?
Alcohol in the States is such a bugaboo and that leads to young Americans abroad just going crazy with the freedom-no need for ID/s,no limits,no parents etc.In Spain I see the young people have now got into having these dreadful drinking gatherings-botellón-Last summer the police really were out in full strength in front of the square of San Andrés and Plaza de la Paja.