Problem Solved.

By checking I mean "current" account. Personal account as opposed to business.

It just so happened that I was at an Irish pub last weekend and as I was talking to a couple of expats there about "living in Madrid," one guy went through the same thing that I did with the banks.

He found one that opened an account with only a passport, and didn't ask for a residence (although he had one).

I am going through a divorce and all of my Caja Madrid paperwork is at my wifes place, so she can view my account. This is why I wanted a new account at another bank. Disassociating myself with stuff she has access to.

I supposed I could have opened another account at Caja Madrid, but I wanted to start over again and open an account where I didn't have to provide my residence card (since I make internet income and am paid from American companies).

We have a shared account with BofA in the U.S. (where Google deposits my monthly payment) and she has been able to move money around and spend it without asking me.

Luckily, since the bank has all of my info, they were able to open up a whole new checking/savings account in my name only and I just redirected the Google deposits in time for this months payment. It was my biggest month so I'm glad that it worked out in time.

But, with the phone thing, I suppose if worse came to worse, yeah, I'll just close that account. I still need to talk to Orange. For now, I'll keep Caja Madrid as I do like the convenience of having them all over.