A "mugging" is typically considered a robbery with force. This guy didn't know they were taking his wallet until after the "Hey, I'm just doing a good deed by straightening your wrinkled pants" event.

If we started a thread about pickpocket victims here on the message board - and if all those victims participated - we'd likely have the longest message board thread to date - in a single day!

Thankfully, after 5 years of living here - and several years beforehand of walking the streets of Madrid - I've never been a victim of pickpocketing nor have witnessed it. But I do know people who've realized later that their wallets (in their purses) were missing. I also know one particular elderly woman who has had her purse "lifted" on like 5 occasions in the past 5 years. Seems she has the habit of putting her purse down on the floor when she pays her supermarket/shopping bills at the cash register. She's always so upset with herself and the world. Her children, now totally full-grown don't know what to do. Since we can't change the behavior/habits of others, we can only hope those people will learn from their experiences and change their own behavior/habits.

In the case of the English soccer/football trainer in this thread, I can only guess he had his fat wallet in the rear, unbuttoned back pocket of his baggy pants. If that's true, he can only blame himself. This isn't Normal-town USA/England where pickpockets are scarce. I remember one time in Columbus, Ohio word spread quickly through the downtown area offices that someone had just had their pocket-picked somewhere in the downtown area while they walked to lunch. As I said, word spread fast because these things just don't happen there.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog