It was a very pleasant evening although chilly and, later, rainy.

In attendance were jacmom & daughter, steve robinson, a Facebook friend (can't remember now if she has a message board account here or not), a couple of Spanish friends, and I.

We started at the Cervecería Alemana on the Plaza de Santa Ana and were fortunate (???) enough to get the first table inside the bar. The crowds of people, mostly men, were constantly pouring in and congregated at the bar around our table so it was VERY LOUD but the table company was good. We ordered the boquerones en vinagre, queso curado, tortilla española, and a bottle of Rueda white wine.

Next we went to a terraza, OUTDOORS, on the Calle de Barcelona pedestrian street near SOL - don't recall its name - and braved the cool temperatures and threatening rain. Here, we ordered/got a place of embutido (salchichón), grilled red peppers, and another bottle of Rueda (I think).

Last place we visited was Nueva Galicia near the bottom of Calle de la Cruz. This place is VERY Spanish. VERY few non-Spaniards inside this busy, kitsch bar with all Spanish (and old) waiters and good food prices - not all Galician food, either, but Spanish food. We ordered the croquetas, calamares, y patatas bravas with a bottle of Ribeiro white wine from Galicia. This was a loud, active place - and they have their own Facebook Fan page - of which I'm a fan.

By the time we left the last place, at about 11pm, we all walked towards SOL and it was already raining. There, we said our goodbyes. It was a pleasant evening. I was happy with the gathering.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog