FREQUENT visits to Russia? Sturgeon soup!

I was in Moscow and Leningrad once in the 1970s. It was very interesting, but the food was not for me. In those days you had to go with a group and eat at the same table in the same seat everyday. Everyone had the same meal.

Once I changed my seat to sit near younger people, and it was a huge issue. I was sent back to my assigned seat for no reason that made any sense.

We went to a real restaurant one time, but they didn't have anything available on the printed menu. We walked in and all the staff ran into the back, and nobody approached us. Finally we seated outselves, and they keep peeking at us from the back. Nobody came over to us until about an hour, and then they told us they only had chicken. Very weird experience.

I suppose these cities are very different now, and I really should go back just to see the difference. I hear that Moscow is the most expensive city in the world. What is that about? Why is it so expensive?

My boss from my last job was there when all the changes were happening. He was touring in Moscow and a few other cities with the singer Billy Joel who was doing one of the first rock concerts by a foreigner. They had an amazing time.

Reply from Steve :

Donna .. I´ve been to Russia about 17 or 18 times between 1996 until the present day . My brother lives in Moscow ( and spent 2 years in St. Petersburg ) . He met his Russian wife in 1997 whilst working over there and he never returned to England . They now have 3 adorable daughters ( I´m biased of course ! ) rangeing from 13 to 6 years old .
He has an extremely good lifestyle out there ... But there is a complete gap between the very rich and the very poor . Nothing inbetween .
We´ve been to some of the most spectacular restaurants in Moscow , at least €120 each person and had the abuelas ( Babushki ) staring at us through the windows . It´s heartbreaking sometimes but " cosas de la vida " .
One time when I was walking through Red Square with my mum , it started to rain so we ran towards the beautiful Balshung Kempinski hotel . We ordered a Cappucino and a Gin and tonic ... I think it cost me something like €30 !!
So , yes , Moscow can be very expensive .
If you walk down the famous Tverskaya Ulitsa , it´s nothing but Versace , Ferraris , Gucci etc....
You know in London there is a very famous jewellers called " Asprey " .. Their biggest customers are Russians !
I studied Russian at college and had always wanted to visit , so when my brother moved there I was soooo happy .
I love the country , the people and the culture ..Imagine a country with 12 time zones ... That´s immense .
I guess when you went in the 70s everthing was organised by "Intourist" .. Where they´d have their people following you to make sure you didn´t stray off the "official" path .
My uncle ( A doctor of languages ) was there when Stalin was in power !! He tells some great stories to my nieces and even sings them the Russian songs from that era .
I am actually trying to arrange another journey with my Peruvian room mate . The visas are a nightmare .
Nice to talk to you Donna ,

Steve