Thanks for all comments.

Finally freeing up from work to focus on the trip ahead. Lost alot of degrees of freedom in planning but work is work.

But now, I am starting to get very excited about my return to Spain since 2004.

We ended up with the following itinerary
** 4 days and nights in Barcelona: staying one night at the NH and three at the Praktik. From all indications good values for the money. we will average roughly 100 Euros/night per room tax inclusive. I have to say that the hotel prices were not cheap so I feel lucky we got what we got. I hope things work out as described.

** Three nights in Vic for the wedding
** One week in Peratallada
** One week in Begur
** Final two nights: still up in the air. Will decide tonight on a place in Sant Pere above Sitges.

Now its finally time to sketch out the plan of attack for Barca. Billy & Steve, thanks for tip on the Mercat and the Chiringuito--just our style, and for the walking recommendations.

I'll start looking into other threads for more eating tips.

With three kids in tow, we will need to conserve our energy in terms of sights, but the Cathedral, churches, Sagrada Familia, Parc Guelle, Batllo, and poking in and out of the Barri Gotic sounds like great stuff.

A question: what expectations should we have of the nights in July? Are there thigns to do and see with three young children? Where we can breathe in the spirit of Barcelona without much interface with drunkards or muggers? Madrid was pretty safe at night, although with far less to so, while Sevilla was ideal.

Thanks, A.