Booklady, your humble opinion is what I was asking for and I'm sure I have done as little research in the topic as you smile

I understand the difference between Sweden and Switzerland in that the ethnic diversity of Switzerland is more inherent than the Swedish, which is, very correctly, based on pretty recent immigration and although what you see on the street is more and more a mix of different racial, ethnic and religious groups, (Here in Finland it's much less visible as it's true that most people are of European origin [6% Swedish speakers, the Romani and Sami minorities, many Estonians and Russians]) immigration in Sweden has been big only since the 1950's. But on the point of immigrants to Sweden being mostly other Europeans (20 biggest groups of foreign-born immigrants, excluding those born in Sweden http://www.immi.se/migration/statistik/20grupper.htm)
aren't the Swiss that as well? Switzerland is made up of Italian, French, German and Romansch populations with only 6% others. Aren't all those European as well? I'd assume that most of the 6% are of European descent too. But I guess that's hard to explain.

I find the assumption that people would instinctively cooperate with their "tribe" and that "tribe" always refers to race, ethnicity or religion really sad. Although it's true, I guess, I wouldn't say that there's nothing to be done about it. I guess we just always need someone to blame if things aren't going well and someone with a different physical appearance or other obvious characteristics would be the easy target; you don't have to look any deeper for the differences.

I don't really know how to answer your question on shared values - I guess our very calm political debates reflect some kind of consensus regarding some issues but I definitely wouldn't say that we all don't have "our own individual set of values". Although, as people who have lived in the same atmosphere tend to have a slightly similar world view, I'm sure I wouldn't have much problems finding as many people disagreeing with me on all the issues we've discussed here (although I'd expect to find also people who are more to the left than I am) in Finland, especially (unfortunately) race. Here that would extend to Russians as well though due to historical reasons.

Alando, as you continue ignoring the questions I'll assume that you don't have an answer and there's no use trying to discuss if you can't back up your claims so I'll stop trying. It's okay, I have a boyfriend, too. Half American by the way.