Gazpacho,

I appreciate your kind words, however, I was not trying to summize the conservative position - just give an independent opinion. I actually do not consider myself to be a conservative. wink

Pia,

The reason that I asked if you have lived anywhere other than Finland is because I think once you have lived in a country with such diverse racial groups, such as America, you can begin to appreciate how it becomes an "us" vs. "them" society. It doesn't sound like you have had that experience - I'm sorry, but vacationing and having pen pals is hardly the same. Try living in a foreign country where you are a minority (Japan, for example laugh ) and then report back to me in 6 months or a year. I gurantee you that your view will change.

Regarding your Iranian friends that act "Swedish" are you saying that you only accept them in your community because they act "Sweedish"? If a person immigrates to another country, must they take on every characteristic of that country's people? If you think so, it kind of kills the idea of a melting pot doesn't it?

Finally, though I am not a conservative, I think many of the conservatives on the board have blown holes in your views of "why can't America be more like Finland laugh " - I am wondering if you have a clearer view now of why America can't and furthermore doesn't want to be Finland?