Cristobo,

You're right. Empires are still empires, and at the same time, business is still business. The difference is, would you prefer the Iraqi people make decisions on their own behalf, or would you allow Hussein to remain in bed with the Russians, French, and Germans, while flaunting the sanctions that were imposed by the UN?

Your claim that the U.S. intends to make Iraq part of their "empire," is at least pre-mature. At this point, your decision is based on the fact that coalition nation companies are winning bids on rebuilding Iraq. I don't understand why they would be issued to countries that weren't in tune with the regime change, or indirectly supported the Hussein regime. You'd be hard pressed coming up with a reason that these nations should get prime contracts to do the job.

From what I gather, oil flowing out of Iraq will be sold to the highest bidders, and in tune with OPEC pricing. As for the money itself, it would be used to rebuild the Iraqi infrastructure. I see nothing wrong with that. Of course, France, Germany, and Russia have a problem with it, because Iraq owes them billions, and then there's the "under-the-table contracts" they've had with them, in violation of the UN accords, which they stand to lose billions over.

As for compliance with the UN accords, look how many nations were illegally buying oil from Hussein. Can you honestly state that members of the UN didn't know it? That these nations that were getting this illegal oil were operating within the UN accords? Shouldn't these nations be brought up on charges at the UN for violating their own sanctions?

As to my understanding what has been said during this thread, rest assured, I certainly do. I also am aware of the fact that this thread has been used by too many people as a way to bash the U.S., by throwing out statements that aren't supported by facts. You might consider the things you've offered, and tell me exactly where it is that you've indicated that the U.S. could possibly do anything right in relation to the Iraqi issue. I doubt you can, because it's been nothing but anti-U.S. rhetoric that you've posted. You might take a moment to bash the French, Germans, and Russians, for their past deeds, and might consider Syria, and a few other "well intentioned" Iraqi neighbors, who've allowed Hussein to flaunt the UN accords for over a decade. They certainly deserve at least "honorable mention," don't you think? Their illegal purchase of oil certainly fueled Hussein's belief he was safe from attack.

Wolf