I have enjoyed reading most of the posts in this thread, (both sides) and now that it is almost run out, I thought I would add my random thoughts.

In the beginning the US was accused of doing it for money. I keep waiting for someone to comment on the financial reasons for France and Russia's position.

As a Tennessean, I would like to point out that had Gore been able to carry the state he claimed as home, Florida wouldn't have been an issue. Also, there is a reason the American consititution let's the electoral college elect the President. It's the same reason we have a Senate -- to let the less populous states have a say in our government. Works, too.

(BTW, most Tennesseans believe both Bush and Gore won their respective home states --Texas and DC) laugh

It would help a lot if both European and US citizens made more of an effort to understand the relevant geopolitical differences. Some key issues:

Ethnic diversity
Population Density
Infrastructure diferences
Bureaucratic structures
Immigration policies
Legal foundations
History
Educational differences

The United Nations lost relevance when France said "no matter what you say, we will veto." How can there be discourse after that?

France, particularly, is trying to reinforce its destruction of the UN by demanding that it play the lead role in rebuilding Iraq. It's record in that role is dismal -- even worse than the US's. Compare Panama and Haiti. Consider Ruwanda, (or almost anywhere else in Africa), Bosnia, ...

The book Bias, by Bernard Goldberg, (a self proclaimed liberal, NY Jew) pretty well documents the liberal media bias and the reasons for it.

Anyway, both sides had good moments, but from my (biased) viewpoint, there was too much unsubstantiated America bashing, and way too much Bush bashing.

ernesto