Gazpacho,
What I want to see and hear in news reports are just the objective facts, and I would like to hear these facts from as many sources as possible. I then internalize the facts and form my own personal truth, which is biased by my own cosmology, which is my own independent, rational judgement.

It seems that journalists today provide the consumer with a pre-packaged viewpoint.I see this as a postmodern dilemma. Part of the view point is that of the news agency's own agenda, and part is the particular personna and political view point of the journalist. So then when the consumer gets the news story and internalizes it, it has evolved into something else, somewhat factual, somewhat other people's cosmologies.

It's almost as though these agencies are saying to the consumer, "if you get your news from XYZ news agency and from Mr. Smart journalist, you have Truth, with a capital T. You won't have to think, we will do that for you, accept our packaged newscast and you too can be like us"
Orwellian!

As el viajero pointed out, I believe, there is no such thing as Truth. The best you can reach is Popperian falsifiability. And to do that we need the verified facts, without the extra adjectives and adverbs. Plain descriptive research.

El Viajero,

You and I discussed the implications of CNN's Jordan's admission of keeping certain stories from surfacing. I just ran into an editorial by David Mills of Touchstone Magazine .
Quote:
This does make you think. For one thing, we are obviously not getting all the news from our news media. They may not report it for good reasons, but then they never let anyone know that they are not reporting such stories. They report as if they are giving us the whole story.

For another, this might explain why some news agencies whose reporting is generally liberal were less critical of the war effort than one would have expected. They knew the sort of regime the Coalition was trying to take down. Leftwing groups predictably accused the mainstream (and generally liberal) press of being tools of capitalism, imperialism, etc. Maybe they just knew what was going on in Iraq.

You may find it interesting.