The New York Times , April 11, 2003 has an Op/editorial by Eason Jordan, who is chief news executive at CNN.

Eason Jordan admits that he knew of the horrors occurring in Bagdhad,yet did not report these.
Quote:
I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed. One Foreign Ministry officer told me of a colleague who, finding out his brother had been executed by the regime, was forced, as a test of loyalty, to write a letter of congratulations on the act to Saddam Hussein.
He recounts one of these:
Quote:
Then there were the events that were not unreported but that nonetheless still haunt me. A 31-year-old Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, was captured by Iraqi secret police occupying her country in 1990 for "crimes," one of which included speaking with CNN on the phone. They beat her daily for two months, forcing her father to watch. In January 1991, on the eve of the American-led offensive, they smashed her skull and tore her body apart limb by limb. A plastic bag containing her body parts was left on the doorstep of her family's home.
This is very disturbing for a variety of reasons.
Isn't the press supposed to report the facts?
I wonder, had CNN, which is the bastion of news for the American Left, reported these news stories, would they have been so vehement in their response against the war in Iraq?
Just how prevalent is this type of media self-censorship? I suspect more of this goes on than we would like. Critical thinkers must search all over to arrive at facts.

This selectivity of reporting that Eason Jordandescribes has certainly lost CNN its moral high ground as being the bastion for presenting unbiased reporting. The "business" of being in Iraq was more important than reporting what was truly going on. No wonder there are so many confused people about the media coverage, as we have heard voiced on this thread.

El Viajero,
I think that whatever their motivations, after what Eason Jordan describes, I believe the jubilation we saw was genuine. But I guess that the majority is probably hiding out for a couple of weeks before they share their true feelings. Although, after living through the HELL of Saddam, I doubt that these folks will say much for a long time.

---
Did anyone out there notice the lack of women in the crowd? I am curious as to why? In the West, women are usually in the forefront, I wonder if it is cultural. Does anyone know?