Hi, Gazpacho --

Quote:
This war is being fought for U.S. security.
Again, where is the evidence that the U.S. was in danger from Iraq?

Quote:
I don't know or care if they ever find the dreaded weapons of mass destruction.
I hope you never become a district attorney. "Let's execute the suspect now. We can investigate later. Wait... never mind the investigation. I just know he's guilty."

Quote:
Is good enough for me that there are Al Queda training camps in the north.
I've been following a good chunk of the war coverage in both liberal and conservative media, and I somehow missed this report, though folks on this board keep alluding to it. Can anyone point me to an article about this in any reputable news source?

Booklady wrote:
Quote:
Those in the left first complained that there were no shouts of joy,or jubilation etc. Then when we finally saw the joy, the jubilation, now they are saying that it's not enough people being joyous and jubilant. Then there are others that beleive the whole thing is a conspiracy, that it never occurred that it was a set up for those of us too gullible to believe what we saw.
Folks, stop being in denial, it did happen as it only could happen given the conditions. And I was happy for them.
What happened was, as always, a combination of reactions. Some Iraqis -- a lot of them -- were jubilant. Certainly the Kurds have much to celebrate. Some Iraqis -- a lot of them -- fought to the death (and continue to do so) to get the U.S. out. These are the much-vaunted "pockets of resistance," a term which even the pro-Bush journalists on Fox News Network assure us is a gross understatement.

Some of the Iraqis you've seen celebrating on your TV screen are cheering for the defeat of Saddam Hussein, whom they considered hopelessly secular and westernized. Don't mistake their actions for pro-American or pro-democratic jubilation.

So let's not overstate the situation either way. There are, IIRC, millions of people in Iraq, and any reductive statement that "the Iraqis are thrilled" or "the Iraqis want Saddam back" is misleadingly simplistic.