Wolf, I agree with you that there is a need to find a solution for all parties involved, but just look at the discussion in this forum and you will realize it is virtually impossible to do so. We dont have to agree, we are not going to change our minds just because somebody has great argumentative skills and offer us the best insight on the issue or has anybody offered a solution and I have missed it!

As I said in a posting in another thread, I am far from being an expert in international politics, so sometimes I get lost with all the information you all provide and I admit you all have great argumentative skills. Congratulations!

From what I have read so far my views are very similar to those expressed by Thijs, that is why I have to say I dont agree with this at all:

Quote:
I'm sorry. Genova is one of yours, not one of mine, and since he represents "academia" and the pseudo-intellectual left, what more can I say?
this is not about who is with whom, it is about people's ideas and not about team work. The only thing that guy Genova, Thijs and I may have in common is that we oppose the war. From what I read about Genova in your postings, this is the only thing I have in common with him, aside from belonging to academia, but I dont feel in any way that he is one of 'ours', opposing the war is not a club membership such as it is not being for the war. I refuse to make myself responsible for other people's thoughts, so dont make me responsible for this guy's thinking because it is not fair and I think it is taking a generalization too far. I think we should all understand that people think differently and we should look at things in a flexible way not in a black and white scheme. I refuse to hear anybody say that just because I support peace and some other person in Columbia who says a lot of crazy stuff does as well, he is my responsibility, I DONT THINK SO! It is a very simplistic view I am afraid. I dont feel represented by Genova, despite being for peace and belonging to the academic community.

Quote:
If Columbia University wasn't accepting what he said, why in hell does he even have a job at this juncture? It's time for people like him to be weeded out of institutions of higher learning. Their sentiments are way too radical to be passed on as "the gospel" in classrooms.
Does freedom of speech ring a bell here? I guess anybody can have whatever ideas they have, as twisted as this case is, living in democracies allow us freedom of speech, which does not insure that it will always be wise and sensible, so as a downside of freedom of speech we have people saying twisted things, nobody said the world is a perfect place! But, should we fire somebody bc of his ideas just because they do not agree with those from the establishment? is that legal? I believe it to be against the constitution at least in Spain.By the way, I AM NOT supporting Genova, just thinking out loud. How do freedom of speech and being fired because you are too radical co-exist? I wish somebody could explain that to me.

One could argue that he may influence his students in a bad way, but we should also give his students the credit to discern what is important and what may be the professor just talking nonsense. We are talking about people who are intellectually mature an therefore have an ability to question anything they are told in the classroom, at least mine do and speak their minds when they do nto agree with something, of course they are never going to be punished for thinking differently.

I would also like to add that I have seen reflected in this post a dangerous trend that I have seen reflected in the media in general. It is this black and white scheme of things: you are with us or against us and I dont believe it represents most people. I am against the war, but I am not against Americans, I hate Americans to die in Iraq as much as I hate Iraquis to die and I personally feel much closer to Americans for many reasons that to Iraquis, but I doubt this is a question of 'I want my enemy to die'. I hate the thought of people dying unnecessarily and I am and have always been pro-American and I dont have a problem in defining myself as that, but at the same time I dont have a problem saying that I dont agree with what is going on at the moment. Does it mean I love and respect my American friends any less? Does it mean that I dont like the USA as a country and I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given there (I dont live there or ever have but have been there frequently in different status)? NO, it does not mean that, I dont have to agree with everything, but it does not make me evil or Geneva-like.

As for the first hand experience in these things, I think it is always very valuable and it offers you a unique perspective but we also have to understand that our friends may not represent the majority of the population. In fact, all my American friends disagree with the war...mmmm...I suspect I have found myself in the middle of the pseudo-intellectual left!!!!! eek