jlramos,

Apparently facts don't have any effect on you. Your retort? Sarcasm without foundation. Both Fernando and Booklady are steadfastly against war, because of the pain and suffering it inflicts on others, but they both agree that there comes a time, when righteous people stand up and be counted. Apparently you'd rather use the ostrich method of dealing with problems. Just bury your head in the sand, and pretend it will just "go away."

In France; Ricin traces found in the subway. Now, guess who they arrested that has ricin? You got it, if you were listening. Al-Qaeda members. Now there are problems in Germany. Five arrests, all associated with Al-Qaeda, and all planning attacks in Germany, against German interests.

Despite the fact that both of these nations "kissed Saddam's arse," they would bring death to them. Now, isn't that a novel idea? Someone supports your issues, and you still are willing to kill their people? Does that mean anything to you?

The same applies to Russia, who's battle against militant Muslims continues, and at the same time, they say we have "no right" to enforce the mandates of the UN... because war is wrong. Excuse me? Aren't they at war with Chechnya? Aren't Chechnya's rebels the same people as Al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and yes, even supported through unofficial channels by Iraq? The last I heard... from UN sources no less.... this was fact.

Then there's Powell's offering to the UN, which included intercepted telephone messages where Iraqi officials admitted to having illegal WMD. Of course, when Hans Blix and his band of merry men arrived at the scenes where they had been stored, they were moved. Between Blix asking for road map directions on how to get to sites, a day or two earlier than they inspected, the bugs in their rooms, and on their phones, and even lip readers who were able to figure out what the inspectors were talking about, the sites were cleaned up, before the inspectors got there. Powell presented evidence to that effect, but the "Axis of Weasel" just laughed, and said it didn't matter.

I'm with Fernando and Booklady. People who stand up and are counted, when necessary, are to be respected.

As for everyone who feels "inconvenienced" by this war, apparently you don't understand the gravity of what is happening, or don't care. If it cuts into your plans, that's tough luck. There's more at stake in the world than your pleasure trip.

Then there's those who say that "It's nice that Spaniards don't hold the actions of the U.S. government against the people of the U.S." How trite. Nearly 70% of all Americans support our actions in the Gulf, and you're saying "We don't support our government?" I suggest you say that "You don't support our government." We - as a nation - do.

So make your own case against the war, but don't take the liberty of saying "We," when it's "You" who doesn't support our actions. If you want to be "popular" in Spain, do what you want. As for me, I want to be an American, and I shall remain proud of who I am. I will also embrace my Spanish friends, regardless of their convictions, just like they will embrace me. And, when I get back to Madrid, I will give Fernando the biggest hug you've ever seen, because he stood up for his convictions, even though it may not seem popular in some circles. We may not always see eye-to-eye, but I much prefer people who have the courage to stand up and being counted, over those who would bow to public opinion, just because it makes them "popular."

Hats off to Tara, Booklady, and Fernando! You've got my vote as being part of the "Tell it like it is society!"

Wolf