Toddy,

Maslow's pyramid. How do you know you want lobster unless you ever ate it? How do you know you want to live in housing that isn't rat infested if you never lived where there weren't rats everywhere? Great theories from a time gone by, but let's face it, with modern technology, and people being brought into more of the world outside their own little zone each day, core needs change based on what they see others having.

You can use Maslow's theories as a guide, which I do, but not as the bible for all things political. The problem is, the people who need the most help from an imperfect society are the ones who should vote, to insure their candidates are in office. Still, they have the least percentage of voter turn out. Then the complaints start, about how badly they are treated by society.

That's why I push from the AARP aspect of getting senior citizens out to vote. The issues on the table effect us nearly as much as they do low income families. Everything we worked and saved for is at risk, when we don't make our voices heard. "When people are satisfied, they don't have a high priority for voting." True. That's a given, not a huge discovery. Sorry. We're back to core needs.

Wolf (By the way, Maslow was a UW student like me - laugh )