MadridMan: Can you select 'region 0' in the DVD drive you are talking about? Are you sure that the message about the five times was sent by the DVD unit itself, or just by the software you use to play the discs? Because the region settings can be done at firmware level (i.e., physically in the DVD unit), or at software level. Some software like PowerDVD check the region code that is set in the firmware, but some others don't.

If the message comes from the software, the solution is simple: use another one. Usually, the open source/freeware ones are the least picky regarding those things and thay play as good as the others, ar least. Examples of these are VLC , and BSPlayer (this version doesn't contain the boooring ad-dispatcher program the latest versions do).

If it is the firmware (maybe I should have posted this link from the beginning) the Internet has always the solution for your technological problems: read this beautiful manual

And, finally, in case you have a DVD player connected to a TV (I mean, not a PC unit, but an "under-the-TV-set" thingy), its region code can be set to 0 in many cases with a little trick (usually, a combination of keys in the remote control). Just take a look at this web page