This is quite interesting that Spain has only submitted Flamenco performors to such a competition when it has such an abundance of wonderful music. Not just flamenco, but the music of Galicia, the jota from Aragon, the sardana from Cataluyna. Has everyone forgotten a music tradition in Spain that goes back 500 years and still is one of the best examples of Spanish folk music? I am speaking about the Tunas. Those wonderful university musicians that play the streets and festivals in Spain, not to mention in other countries. Dressed in their Medieval costumes they envoke the romance of Spain and keep up a tradition that few countries still enjoy. If you would like to learn more about the Tuna or hear some of their music, go to La Tuna Website .

Another wonderful example of Spanish music is the Zarzuela, Zarzuela Website . Spain has a tradition of exceptional musical and artisic talent second to none. These are just a few: Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras, Arturo Klaus, Monserrat Caballe, Victoria De Los Angeles, Alicia De La Rocha, Pablo Casals, Andres Segovia. I could go on and on but the point is that Spain has a rich heritage of music and musicians.

I myself am a musician and being a new member of this board I noticed a lack of information concerning this part of Spain.

If you would like to hear an excellent CD on Galician folk music, I strongly recommend the Chieftans' Santiago CD. It's fantastic!

Being of Mexican/Spanish ancestry I have a passion for things Spanish. Saludos!