Bill wanted to know also where us spaniards travel and why. In my case I take at least one trip abroad a year. I spent 15 days in China in August and that helped me realize how different us westerners are from the chinese (even more than I expected). Last year I spent almost a month travelling around Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. My goal there was to enjoy nature and important historic sites. I got it, I loved it.

I read Diana's post and it was pretty weird. All she felt about Spain and the spaniards, that is, spaniards being pretty homogeneous and life in Spain being simpler its just the same thing that I felt about the US. I lived in Michigan, and with my host family we did travel down south, all the way to New Orleans (what a great city it was) and also to the East Coast, that is Washington, New York, Boston... The thing that surprised me the most was how incredibly homogeneous the country was, from my point of view. Same thing with the amerincans. Yes, of course there is a lot of people from all over the world, yes, it's true that in New York you can get lost and suddenly think you are in China, but most of the US is really homogeneous. People live, act and think pretty similar.

I'm sure what I'm writing here may surprise most of you americans, just as much as it did surprise me reading that Diana thought us spaniards are pretty much the same. For us, actually, people from Catalonia and people from Andalucia are very different from each other, both in traditions, way of life, etc. Same applys to people from Madrid and people from Asturias, for example. Maybe, what happens is that when a foreigner looks at us it's easier to see what we have in common, which it's a lot. Same thing may happen when a foreigner looks at the US. It's easy to see you have more in common than you think.