Hi all,

A friend of mine recently sent me an excerpt from the Feb 2003 Dame Edna column. Please read:

Dear Dame Edna,

I would very much like to learn a foreign language,preferably French or Italian, but every time I mention this, people tell me to learn Spanish instead. They say, "Everyone is going to be speaking Spanish in 10 years. George W. Bush speaks Spanish." Could this be true? Are we all going to have to speak Spanish?

Torn Romantic, Palm Beach

Dear Torn:

Forget Spanish. There's nothing in that language worth reading except Don Quixote, and a quick listen to the CD of Man of La Mancha will take
care of that. There was a poet named Garcia Lorca, but I'd leave him on the intellectual back burner if I were you. As for everyone's speaking it, what twaddle! Who speaks it that you are really desperate to talk to? The
help? Your leaf blower? Study French or German, where there are at least a few books worth reading, or, if you're not American, try English.

Dame Edna

As a person who is genuinely enraptured by my culture and believe Hispanics are a vital, dynamic, intelligent workforce I wrote an email to vfmail@vf.com to express my outrage mad

If you do not want to do this then please comment and tell us how you feel about Dame Edna's comment frown

MM: I certainly do not mean to use this board for any incendiary commentary but felt that it was important to post this terrible injustice so that all can comment/reflect. Please remove if you feel it is necessary.