Wolf,
Your last post definitely puts the context of the Basque dilemma in focus for me. I have been trying to understand the Basque situation. As I previously said to Pim, the perspectives,and its complexity are indeed overwhelming. However, as one examines the broader issues, I begin to see why you believe that the outlawing of the Batasuna movement was, in retrospect a mistake. As we are seeing now. There will be a tendency, even among the moderate Basques to, "circle the wagons." This will lead to greater violence and disharmony. In a sense the Spanish government has unwittingly coalesced the moderates to think in terms of secesion. Truly tragic set of circumstances.

In regards to the demonization of the entire Basque community by government and press, this too will lead to an eventual severing of any type of positive relationships in the future, history has proven that.

My heart goes out to the people of Spain who have been victimized by ETA, and especially to the people of Pais Vasco, who will end up paying for the excesses of ETA, particularly if your predictions prove correct.