Gracias, Pim for your answer. As you know I am no expert of Spanish politics, but am willing to learn!

I do want to thank those posting for sharing your information and points of view. This is indeed a fascinating topic from so many perspectives. the more I read the more complex the case of Pais Vasco seems to appear. From one perspective there are the terrorists terrorizing the citizens of Pais Vasco as well as the rest of Spain. Then there is the perspective that a non-binding referendum may serve to establish, once and for all, the will of the voters of the region. Yet at the same time there is the difficulty of the vote itself, how can one establish a fair vote without intimidation. Then in a broader sense, there is the perspective of a region demanding to secede after a 500 year history of being united.
A truly complex situation.

Fernando, as for Florida, if we don't learn how to run our elections, we won't have to secede, the other 49 states will just vote us out of the union and give each citizen a years supply of Paxil for being too dumb to vote properly! laugh