I admit I haven`t read all the posts on this topic, I am sending this just to reply the original one. Mostly I agree with it; I think to outlaw a political party is not the answer. If ETA and Batasuna are the same, well then prove it and imprison them. Why was it necessary to make a new law, which outlines what kind of ideas are compulsory? (say, "if you don`t claim loud and clear that you are against ETA, you get behind the bars"). I have heard one thousand times that Batasuna often sits terrorists in city councils and the Basque parlament; they supposedly send money to support ETA, and so on and on...then why can`t Spanish authorities lock them unless they make a SPECIAL law just against this political party?
This is crazy, now it is illegal just to stay silent when the others condemn terrorism. It is ridiculours. Even demonstrations against the new law are banned! Where is free speech, then? You can read a great essay on this (in Spanish) at

http://www.lanuevaespana.es/periodico25agosto/PG033TRI252.htm

But now...why should the first post-sender include that hint about a "young democracy" which still holds certain "fascist trends"? Is Spain such a "young" democracy? The Franco era was only possible because the UK and the Americans refused to help the II Republic, both before and after the WWII. The democratic tradition of Spain doesn`t start in 1978, but in 1520, when the "Comuneros" defied the Habsburg tyrant. As to the English-speaking world, their "democratic" tradition is nothing to write home about (I am not trying to be respectless, really; just sincere). The Bloody Sunday was not much better than any Franquist massacre. And, as far as the perils of "Free-Speech cuts", and fascist involution, there is a WONDERFUL essay (in English) available at http://www.rmbowman.com/ssn/terror3.htm
PS-If you remember me, from the "Spanish nationalism" thread, you will notice that I am not exactly a Spanish chauvinist. But really, I don`t see why should I accept humbly that the US, or the Britons, or anyone, claim that they can teach lessons to others upon their "democratic tradition". Please!!! the days of the Empire are (happyly) gone. We are all equals, ain`t we?