Hi Steve...I may have been a bit ambiguous with my post, but I meant to actually communicate that I do.... have: 1) an international permit, 2) a car registered under my name, ID card, etc. and 3) an insurance policy with my name. And I do NOT have a Spanish driver's license. I don't believe a car is registered with your license. It's registered under a name and ID number. I imagine a passport would be a possibility as well. (Just think of all the foreigners in the south who don't have Spanish licenses, but drive cars that are registered in Spain.)

The difference in my case in that I fortunately have a bit of an 'enchufe'(contact) for the insurance part of it. That's the one part that I'm unsure of for you: "How easy or difficult as well as expensive would it be for you to take out an insurance policy with an international permit on your own?"

It may be worth placing a call or two to a local automotive insurer inquiring as to the feasibility of what you want to do... If you get an answer, let us know. Good luck...