Hi agquad! Welcome to our little message board.

I think you'll find a number of reviews here of Hostal Oporto on the message board. In the SEARCH page (see link above/right), simply type OPORTO MADRID and you should find many.

You can read my own personal review shortly after returning from Madrid in April 2002 - I spent one of those nights in Hostal Oproto - in the " Hostal Oporto (Madrid) " thread. There, I included a bunch of links to my photos of the place too. I can recommend it.

I'm sure Hostal Oporto is (much) cheaper than your other two options. The location is good too, close to the Puerta del Sol on a quiet street behind the Congreso building. It's also a short walk away from the (my favority) Huertas neighborhood.

Hostal Persal is in an excellent location too, just off the lively Plaza Santa Ana (less lively in November when you're there, unforunately, because all of the outdoor terraces will have long been removed). This building has a nice, "hotel-like", atmosphere. I toured this place in October 2000. They have a couple restaurants - one is only for breakfast though.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog