I've enjoyed lingering on this post, and now you'll all be privileged to hear my two euros worth. rolleyes

First and foremost, the "N" in NAACP is "national". Should they choose to "broaden their influence" they might consider making it the "I"AACP. I know that most Americans look at this group (and with reason) as a black rights group, but, isn't white a color too? How about olive? :p Those catalán police officers could use some advancement too...for now, they should just stick to the N and let the I take care of itself. Spain has done just fine without them for going on 700 years now....hmmm kinda makes you think........ :p

Second, JDR, apparently you haven't been to the "right" spots in Spain, as you say you've yet to witness racism ["Having spent a lot of time in Spain over the years, I have never heard of nor seen any discrimination against blacks"]. Perhaps you've never taken the metro, or a bus, or visited downtown Madrid, Barcelona or any other major city in Spain. If you did, maybe you were sporting your new rose-colored glasses. Anyone who has actually lived in Spain, not as a tourist, but lived in Spain, knows that prejudice and discrimination are (unfortunately) alive and well.

If I were a Spaniard, I wouldn't worry too much about the NAACP getting any sanctions over on you. I'd be more worried about Franco rising from the dead to "reclaim Spain" again...t'aint gonna happen.

CaliBasco [Disclaimer: The preceding was not meant in any way to be a personal attack on JDR...it was simply my way, and most likely a poor one, of driving home a fact to which most Spaniards seem to be oblivious. I can't speak for (nor mess with) Texas :)]

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]