Antonio,

The simple fact is that nobody should be asking anyone else to make a commitment that they won't match themselves.

It all boils down to Spain, Germany, and half of the countries in the world telling the U.S. that they want them to follow the rules, while they modify them to their own level of control. In other words, we're supposed to hamstring our economy so that other nations can go full speed ahead without regard to the Protocol just because someone said it was "The right thing to do."

When Spain ratifies the accord, without modifications to the original proposal, then come back and tell us how we're "bad people" for not signing a blank check for the world to cash as they want.

As for the U.S. being the biggest polluter, that's true, but for some reason over half of the nations also believe we're their private "ATM card" as well. If we told them that our foreign aid was going to disappear to allow for tax credits to people so we can meet the requirements of the Protocol, I wonder how many nations would still be interested in putting it in motion.

Even if it was put into effect, how many countries would need aid from the U.S. just to implement the program? Obviously if we cut aid to meet the Protocol... they wouldn't even bother to consider implementing it.

Although I agree that global warming is a problem for future generations, I have read too many studies that say that the Kyoto Protocol isn't even close to the answer. In fact, some studies indicate that it's a crack pot idea that people are buying simply because the media doesn't give equal space to other points of view, like the MIT studies.

Wolf (Who isn't in to signing blank checks)