Hi, rgf -

I've been to two Spanish restaurants here. One is not too far from where I live, so I go maybe 3-4 times a year. It is called Segovia and is at 5 St. Nicholas Street. St. Nicholas is a small street (really an alleyway in parts) that is one block west of Yonge Street and starts at Wellesley, so if you were going by subway from the Sheraton you would get on at Queen at get off at Wellesley. Oh, and the food? It's good but not spectactular. They have a few of the usual tapas (chorizo, queso manchego, tortilla) and pretty good paella (three kinds, I think) and a few other things. Really good wine list, too, with lots of riojas. They also have had a spanish guitarist playing on one occasion - I don't know if that is a regular event or not.

The other one I've been to, and actually prefer, is a tapas bar called - how original - Tapas. It is at 226 Carlton St, near Parliament St. You'd take the subway to College St and then the streetcar east to Parliament. (Carlton and College are the same street, it just changes name at Yonge Street to confuse the tourists.) The tapas at Tapas are really good, and there is a very large selection. In fact, all they have apart from tapas is paella and one other seafood dish. They don't go in for wines to the same extent as Segovia, if I remember correctly. Specializing in tapas, they have a bigger list of jerez and cervesa. It's a fairly small place, with two levels. We were seated in the downstairs once, and weren't too happy thinking it was the "Siberia" area, but it was fabulous because it turned out that's where the "dance floor" (actually the aisle between the tables!) was and people started dancing (with the waiters, with the bartenders, with each other) to Spanish music. They also do that thing with the wineskin where the waiter comes around to each table and gets you to drink from it, you know, with the wine being squirted at you from three feet away. A wee bit touristy, but fun if you're in the mood! Also a good way to get about two glass of wine for free very quickly!!

There is another tapas bar downtown on Adelaide near Spadina, that just opened up this year. I haven't been yet and don't know the name, but I will check over there (it's about a ten minute walk from the office) at lunch one day soon and let you know.

There is also a restaurant called Xango, at the corner of Adelaide and John, which isn't Spanish but more of a Latin-fusion place. I've heard it's excellent, although pricey.

Casa Barcelona - I checked in the phone book, and it is at 2980 Bloor St W. which is quite far out in the west end and would be 20 minutes or more from downtown. I've never heard anything about it.

Also in the phone book, there is a Chaido Restaurant at 864 College, which would be right in the Little Portugal area so that's probably the one you mean.

Fune, Monsoon etc - I will e-mail you with some other downtown dining suggestions, so we don't clutter the board with non-Spanish chat!