Fernando:

quote: 'They may pursue their objectives: independentism, via the basque parlament.' How possibly can they do this? Hey, you might be the peacemaker if you know that.
For the PNV, EA, and HB, all nationalist parties have been trying to reach Independence through pacific ways for the last 20 years of democracy. But the central government has said in several ocasions that the votes of the basques are not enough in this matter. And by sheer number, the Spanish parliament will never vote for it with its two major parties' supporters being fanatic Spain nationalists.

Quote (Miguelito): 'I'm not very well documented on history, but as far as I know, the Basque country decided to join Spain freely to be defended from Navarra kingdom.'

It is good to acknowledge one's ignorance, for, in this case, you avoid being caught in it. How could the BC be defended from ITSELF?
Also, Spain was created in the XV century, not the XVI.

Learn Our History! (in English)

Caminante:
(quote): 'CaliBasco, you state "I do, however, understand why they do what they do." I sure don't. Nor should anyone who values human life'

So, there is no reason for war? Not even independence from invaders or tyrans? The fathers of the Homeland (the USA) could not have count on you, the Americans would still be British! And pay all the imaginable taxes.

Mahatmah Ghandi probably thought your way, I don't.

Ignacio