Marco,

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said. But please remember, there's a difference between autonomy and indpendence. Very few Basques would consider independence, because it would be a nation infinitely small, and without much in the line of resources. What the majority of the Basques would ask for is autonomy. The same guarantees that were granted to them all the way through the First Carlist War in 1839, and reiterated in an agreement between the Spanish Republic prior to the rebellion under Franco.

I don't want to continue discussing this matter because I don't believe there's a resolve that we can make.

It's up to the Basques, and the Madrid government to begin sincere negotiations related to autonomy. If that don't happen, there will be no peace. If Spaniards want the killing to end, they have to prod the Madrid government as well as the Basques to sit down at the table and negotiate a resolve. I would suggest you read ETA's manifesto delivered to the government in 1995. There's a lot of good choices in that document.

Wolf