Actually Basque Country was an autonomous state in Navarre. The three present day states that comprise what is known as Basque Country now broke away and became a part of Castille, with the written agreement that they would have total autonomy forever. The Spanish government as it exists came after that, and the Basques have never agreed to join with the rest of the Iberian peninsula to become part of Spain.

The Basque region, which includes the provinces in France that are Basque, was a loosely knit self governing entity long before the kingdoms that now are France and Spain existed. The only reason this is overlooked is because it was more of a rural enclave than one that was based around cities and forts.

ETA is not the first entity within Basque Country that has defied Spanish rule. This has been going on since before the middle of the 1800s, the origination of the Carlist wars. It's just one name exchanged for another, as the statements of independence basically remain the same. If you look at the history of the Basque region, including France, they even had an independent government in exile, during what they considered the occupation by Franco's Spain, following the revolution. Making matters worse, the Spanish government (Elected; the one that Franco overthrew) had granted Basque Country autonomy.

I could cite instances that would show that the Basque entity existed since the third or fourth century, but what difference would that make? The history, as taught in Spain does not include this as a matter of fact. This is natural. Why would you teach a history that is a contradiction to what you say is fact?

To directly answer your questions.

Yes, Basque Country has been forced to be a part of Spain. Their charter for autonomy was broken when the Castillian government became part of what is Spain today. At that point, Basque Country should have become an independent nation.

The vote is 15% for independence? Not the case. Any vote against the existing government of Spain is a voice for independence. If you come right down to it, the vast majority of Basques would accept nothing less than the same charter that was broken by the government of Castille. As for the numbers, millions of Basques have abandoned their homeland. If you look at the exile records in most of Europe, and the Americas, you'll find it's enormous. People who abandoned their country to avoid reprisals from the Franco regime.

As for the population in Basque Country, the Franco regime made it a point to move non-Basques into the three provinces with the intent of diluting their ability to vote for independence. It worked. From what I gather, less than half the people now living in Basque Country are Basques. Technically, they don't belong there. They are the ones that load the ballot boxes with votes that go against Basque autonomy.

There is one question that I haven't had answered by anyone. Why in the world would anyone be a terrorist unless they have a cause? They don't just come into being, they become terrorists for a reason. I have yet to see any terrorist organization that doesn't have a cause, right or wrong. The simple fact is, it's the cause that they are supporting. You have to recognize the cause that ETA serves before you can find a way to have them lay down their arms. The problem is, the government of Spain refuses to address the cause they stand for, and that, unto itself, is the biggest reason that ETA continues doing what they do.

Adding fuel to the fire, when ETA indicated they were no longer going to stand by the truce, because no progress was being made in negotiations, the Spanish government told the world that they would never, under any circumstances, discuss autonomy for the Basque States. If the problem wasn't bad enough, the government itself gave them license to begin terrorist activities again. You do not slap someone in the face and expect them to back off from their conviction.

It makes me wonder if the government wasn't seeing a weakening in their own strength because of the growing strength the Basques had within the government. Just a point that I wonder about. I wish I did know the answer.

Wolf (Who hates violence, but understands what the underlying causes are that make it happen.)