Fernando- At the risk of turning this into a tit-for-tat (too late...), I'll respond with posts similar to those I've already posted months ago, as you are new:

«Transplanted spaniards? What do you think that Franco made colonies there?» That is exactly what happened. Poor, unemployed andaluces, loyal to the Nationalist cause, were sent to work the Altos Hornos and other steel mills in Vizcaya. By infiltrating the Basque region, Franco hoped to augment his other anti-regionalist activities (such as only allowing one language [unless you were gallego like he was]).

«The blood difference is the more stupid lie the separatists have thrown to show how different they are... No single scientist has never supported that lie.» Unfortunately, you have missed my point, and you are wrong. The research that I quote, done by British and American anthropologists, not scientists, is conclusive in showing that Basques have the highest concentration of type O of any ethnic group in Europe, and the lowest incidence of B. This simply shows that they have a long, somewhat isolated history, during which they've done very well at conserving their identity. This doesn't mean that they should further isolate themselves by separating, it simply shows that, contrary to your earlier post, they are different biologically. Since you had attempted to refute me on that point earlier, in effect accusing me of lying twice, I had to clarify this.

«Sorry but Castilla was born in the west of the Basque Country, are we so different? Absolutely no. A basque is as different to a madrileño than to a catalonian. That is the richness of Spain.» confused What are you saying here? I can't follow you on this...

«The concept of the seven provinces is a one that has been invented earlier than 10 years ago. Tell a french basque that and he will laugh at your face.» I agree...it is one has been invented earlier than 10 years ago. It's actually a concept that has its roots in post-Roman rule in the 5th and 6th centuries. I'm glad you recognize that. It is true that the French are less prone to advocate a separate Basque state. They represent, of some 2.5 million euskaldunes, about 300,000, or about 8%. They are the poorest of the Basques, and have received more in government subsidies from Paris than the taxes they pay. They have had it relatively well, while their "Spanish" counterparts have lived under 40 years of dictatorial rule, and only in the last few decades have they truly been respected with "autonomy".

Batua is simply an ease-of-use Euskera, created to increase the opportunity to teach the language to young Basque children. Just like the English taught in American schools is different than that spoken "in the street", so too the Euskera spoken in the different areas of Euskadi, on both sides of the political border created by the Pyrenees.

«Navarra has never been akin to the Basque Country» confused confused Are you sure you didn't go to school with the PP curas? Nothing could be further from the truth than your statement here.

I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree, as I no longer plan to rehash my thoughts over and over again. I think we have a lot of common ground, but we differ on many points. I will close with one olive branch: I agree (and I don't think I've been clear on this) that the Basques would NOT survive as a completely independent nation. I'm most concerned with their ability to preserve their heritage, culture and language.

Best of luck to you as you continue to research this matter, and keep reading El País... :p wink

CaliBasco [Who would give his eye tooth to again live in Euskadi!]