Fernando, thanks for posting, but please don't believe all they teach you in el instituto and what you read in El País.

For you to say "I've been in the Basque Country, have friends (some of them nationalists) which are Basque..." to set up your opinion, is like me saying "I know the trials of the black man in America because I have friends that are black." Ludicrous. There are things that you and I will never understand.

The reason you don't understand the "15%-20% of Basques" who support ETA (a number that seems a little inflated...) is precisely because you were born after Franco died. That was my point. If you were Basque, and had lived at all during even the "dicta-blanda" years of Franco, you would at least understand why ETA exists, and why I say Franco created ETA. Ask any euskaldun viejo who spent 40 years afraid to speak Basque in public, unable to attend school in the language of his choice, unable to fly the ikurriña, and they'll agree.

"The victory of "Spain" became the derrota of the Basques and Catalanes..." refers to the attempted whitewash of both cultures by the dictatorial régime of Franco. So the percentage would encompass all 100% of those who call themselves Basque or Catalán, not 20% as you may feel. I'm sure if you look closely that you'll find plenty of "militant" catalanes. ETA just gets all the press.

The Basque Country has ALWAYS been separate from its neighbors. On a political map it may have been labeled as something else, but make no mistake, it has never "integrated" into its neighbors. Unfortunately, in "el instituto" they've told you that the Basques have apparently "always depended on the Kingdom of Navarra". Which sacerdote came up with that? Look at present-day Navarra: Aside from the comunidad foral flag, which other flag is more predominant, the Spanish or the ikurriña? With whom do the navarros feel a blood kinship? The madrileños? Not exactly. The only reason Navarra is somewhat separate from the rest of Euskadi is that there are so many transplanted Spaniards so as to make it the least Basque of the seven provinces in the «zazpiak bat». The province isn't any less Basque. Is Bilbao no longer Basque because of the influx of andaluces after the war? Not quite.

As stated, the swearing of the fueros was a way to gain the cooperation of the Basques, since the Spanish monarchs valued their military zeal and loyalty, and knew this was the way to ally themselves with it. Plus, the Basques made a nice buffer against the French.

The fact that you question my comment on the biological makeup of the Basques enlightens me as to your ignorance of their origins. I've said nothing of aryan or nazi ideology. Any fool can see that even on the outside, Basques are DIFFERENT than castellanos. My comment was based on personal research into UNSEEN factors such as blood type (for example: highest incidence of type O blood in Europe, and lowest incidence of type B).

Your lack of understanding of what ETA stands for is evident, as you've incorrectly assumed that they've stated the Basques are a super race in the line of thinking of the German Nazis. ETA has never avowed that. Which section of El País did that come from? Cultura?

«Yes Franco was a fool! but we can't court him now, so who is responsible of all the killings? Whoever kills!» Tell that to Pres. Aznar...que se responsabilice él. When everyone comes clean as to what they're doing "behind the scenes", agrees to peacefully dialogue, and really strive to be honest and open, then we can get down to doing away with ETA.

I do agree with you on this: ETA has changed from what it was to what it is. I neither oppose or support it, but I do think the methodologies employed to gain its ends are improper and horrific.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]