Today its raining in Escorial, my washing has been out for 3 days now. I took the dogs for a walk as usual to the park behind the Monastory. As usual all I ventured was "ola" to other dog walkers, I did not dare broach the subject by saying my other bit of Spanish "Buenas" fearing that as it was not particularly "buenas" I might end up being drawn into a converstaion. I am always ready with "no habla Espagnol" its a pity but people shie away when I utter those words. Its good for the beggars in Madrid - all except one who spoke impeccable English..........

After a week of being on my own (Maria is in Ecuador) I just HAD to get out, do some shopping, I needed my staples. Beer, Cidra, Butter,Milk and something other than homemade pizza and pasta - all you need do is drop it in 500ml of boiling water.

I went to the local DIA which I had hoped would be closed the I could scuttle away and not have to face the locals and worse explain that I "no comprende". Alas it was open. Ok leche entera, semidesnadata, all confusing because I go by the colours of the carton. They are opposite what I get in the UK, RED is WHOLE milk, I remembered my loving wifes words as she gave me some Europounds - just in case. Yup got it RED, whole milk. Milk with nothing taken away, all the bad stuff for hearts and cholesterol inclusiv.

On my way out I espy some chicken, pollo, or is that octopus ? Looks like chicken - I ma going to roast me a chicken for supper, declared the foolish English voice in my head.

Aha pollo quarters, pollo breast, ah POLLO ENTERA, neat price only 3 Europounds, wassat in real money ?? Ok it'll do, tonight we feast.

Feeling well pleased at not being thrown in jail on my first major solo excursion to the shops I rushed away with my purchases. I had of course hovered around until no-one was at the checkout, just in case someone spoke to me - ola, buenas have you got a coin for the trolley , that sort of thing. Jees I was almost blown away when the girl asked me about bolsa's . I wagged my finger at the trolley to show I had got some carriers, it seemed to pacify her enough to get on with doing other check out stuff. I paid, no major probs, I think smile

Ok, the whole point of my meandering , the chicken sits on the counter waiting for my attentions. Seems that ENTERA is good for what it means, my chicken was indeed ENTERA. So much ENTERA it still had feet, it still had its ENTERA head on its ENTERA neck. And inside was its ENTERA gizzard, liver, heart and who knows what else.

I think it will sit on the counter for a little while longer ...............

Overall : pleased at plucking ( no pun intended) up the courage to actually do something other than surf all day. Have added a new word to my vocabulary, one I wont forget.

MM : do I win story of the mes ????

laugh