I'm back to this thread because I just keep thinking about all the good experiences I had in Spain.I've lived and traveled in many countries and always tried to blend in..often by not opening my mouth.But not this trip.As I spoke no Spanish when I arrived I purchased a phrasebook(even that purchase was a challenge.The shopkeeper tried to sell me a dictionary which I promptly opened up and found the word for phrasebook to get my point across.In 2 weeks I was discussing such topics as how credit cards force shopkeepers to charge more(while he polished a $20 necklace I was buying til it looked like diamonds)as well as how unfortunately my hip size doesn't quite match my upper torso with a saleslady in a boutique, all with the help of my little book.I just loved the challenges of dealing with those shop keepers and they really appreciate the effort.Also, go to most East Coast resort areas in the US and see what the ratio is of friendly,helpful people there are in shops after being deluged with tourists day in day out.Rudeness is never justified but I just don't play ball on that court and life is good. I also noticed nice comradery amongst co-workers in stores and restaurants.